Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2007 Gear Box Squeaks When Putting It Into First Gear

ziauris

Hi,

I have a 2007 Auris Petrol, currently at 54k miles. A few months ago it started squeaking when putting it into 1st and 2nd gear. The squeak was more noticeable when putting into 1st rather than 2nd and if going from a higher gear 4th-5th directly to 1st.

It was lasted serviced by Toyota at 42k, approx 3 years ago.

Anyone else noticed this?

Not sure what relevance the car being last serviced by Toyota has.

When does the squeaking occur - when you select a gear or when you let the clutch up to engage drive.

Why would you go from 4th or 5th directly to 1st?

When does the squeaking occur - when you select a gear or when you let the clutch up to engage drive.

When selected the gear, ie moving the gear stick towards and into 1st gear. No noise when lifting clutch up.

i go from 5th to first at traffic lights, car going at 40mph in 5th, slow down and come to a stop and then change into first to set off. Doesn't everyone do this?

i go from 5th to first at traffic lights, car going at 40mph in 5th, slow down and come to a stop and then change into first to set off. Doesn't everyone do this?

No.

When selected the gear, ie moving the gear stick towards and into 1st gear. No noise when lifting clutch up.

Block changing - that's what I was taught 12 years ago. - I am led to believe that going down through the gears whilst slowing down before accelerating again is no longer a requirement. Slow down in what ever gear you're in then change to the appropriate gear when you need to accelerate again. Dip the clutch to prevent the car from stalling if applicable.
But - each to their own I guess!

Yes - fully aware of block changing, but not quite what was described originally. In the later description, the OP then says he comes to a stop before selecting first gear.

4th or 5th to 2nd being a more common selection in order to accelerate away before one comes to a stop.

It will probably be your gear change linkage and/or cables that are causing the squeak. You could try taking off the gearstick gaiter and the cover plate underneath then lubricate anything that moves. Don't know whether anything is accessible down below to lubricate the other end.

post-140480-0-05000300-1433710588_thumb.

post-140480-0-64073100-1433710603_thumb.

post-140480-0-96501200-1433710612_thumb.