Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Max Range On Zero Miles In Tank.

Swerve74

Just found this when looking around the web.

From popular mechanics site. Article was discussing what happens when your Battery goes dead or you run out of fuel in a hybrid.

PM got the chance to put all this to the test when we drove a Lexus HS 250h hybrid, which has a similar driveline to the Prius (although with a 2.4-liter gasoline engine similar to a Camry's rather than the Prius' 1.8-liter), until it ran out of gas. We did this on a non-highway loop, driving just quickly enough to keep the main Battery fully charged, but not so quickly that we used Battery power to augment acceleration. When the trip computer alerted us that our distance until empty was zero miles, we kept driving. And driving. Two hours and about 55 miles later, the HS 250h finally ran out of gas. At first it wasn't noticeable, except that the car was quieter running in electric mode. However, after only half a mile on electric-only, the car became significantly slower, and wouldn't accelerate beyond 15 mph. We were lucky we didn't deplete the propulsion battery too much or it would have activated the three-start cycle and then required the fault code reset. But since we didn't, we could dump our jerry can of fuel into the tank and be on our way.

Anyone put this to the test.

An Avensis typically has 9-10 litres still in the tank when the trip computer says range 0 (it counts down to "reserve" rather than empty, typical Toyota caution). Depending upon engine, load, style of driving etc. that should get you over 50 miles (potentially 100 in a diesel although running a diesel dry isn't a good idea).

... typical Toyota caution). ...

Comes from many many years of experience with idiots who drive cars in a manner that is at variance from common sense, and then want to sue you because you let them be an idiot.

An Avensis typically has 9-10 litres still in the tank when the trip computer says range 0 (it counts down to "reserve" rather than empty, ...). Depending upon engine, load, style of driving etc. that should get you over 50 miles (potentially 100 in a diesel although running a diesel dry isn't a good idea).

Reserve capacity is usually in the ~10% region, so unless the Avensis has a 90-100 litre tank, it is more like 4.5 litres of reserve.

Given that, you will probably get 50-70 mile from your Avensis, but highly doubt you will 100 mi from a diesel.

the Maths:

50 MPG = 10.9985 mi/litre

70 MPG = 15.3978 mi/litre

So, 4.5 litres (@50 MPG) = 4.5 x 10.9985 = 49.49 mi;

and, 4.5 litres (@70 MPG) = 4.5 x 15.3978 = 69.29 mi;

The astute amount the readership will notice that 4.5 litres is ~1 UK gal, therefore you should be able to travel a further distance equal to the avg consumption reading, providing you maintain that average.

Lots of posts on Prius Chat about running out of fuel in a Prius.

As the OP mentioned, if you do run out of fuel and deplete the HV Battery, it is a major kerfaffle getting back on the road again.

It usually requires roadside rescue to MrT for remedial action.

While it can be a challenge to see how far you can go with the fuel low light flashing, you don't want to actually run out.

You can't just pop in a couple of litres and be on your way.

Ignoring initial fill on delivery (44.79 in 45 litre Auris tank!!); I've never got more than 40.02 litres in after running down to "zero" - so about 100km left

• Like 2

As for the Avensis, I once owned a 2005 1.8 VVTI and drove it about 60 miles after the range went to empty, it still had about 2 litres in the tank. Our Prius has been driven about about 30-40 miles on empty, not sure how much was left in it, as I didn't re-fill it.

With myy current Avensis, I had a range showing of 35 miles - I filled it up and could only get 44 litres into the 60 litre tank. I agree with Heidfirst, 10 litres on reserve seems about right.

My tank is running low again, how far shall I play this game again before my nerve runs out... :)

"Reserve capacity is usually in the ~10% region, so unless the Avensis has a 90-100 litre tank, it is more like 4.5 litres of reserve.

Given that, you will probably get 50-70 mile from your Avensis, but highly doubt you will 100 mi from a diesel."

Fuel tank capacity of an Avensis is stated as 60l. There are plenty of posts on this forum where you will find people querying tank size/range etc. as they could only fit ~50l in when the range indicator said 0 miles - I have personal experience of this (& theoilburner's post backs me up).

Given that I know that it's easy to get 55mpg on the motorway in my 2.2 (& a 2.0 diesel should be slightly better than mine) in theory in the best combination of circumstances it ought to be possible to get upto 120 miles. I'm certainly not going to test the hypothesis though & I don't recommend any other diesel owner to either. :hang:

My last fuel bar usually starts flashing after around 440 miles, brimming it never gets more than about 40 litres in a 45 litre tank so another 50-60 miles is in order, As others have stated though I've never put it to the test!

Yeah, it would not be unpossible to get 100miles out of diesel reserve; When I got down to the blinky fuel bar on my Yaris (i.e. last of the 8 fuel 'blobs' on what passes for its fuel gauge) I wanted to see how far I could go. IIRC I got to about a hundred before I wussed out and filled it up. Going by its average mpg, I figure I used maybe 7-8 litres of fuel?

I must admit it is nice knowing that if I haven't been paying attention and hit the blinky bar, I'm safe and don't need to panic about finding somewhere to fuel up super urgently :)

(My crappy old Fiesta's fuel gauge was much more accurate; If it hit zero, you literally had 10-20 miles to find a fuel station or it was AA/RAC time!)

Real world I have always believed that it's a very bad idea to run on down to the dregs in your tank as you'll ingest all the crud that you get each time from the filling station.

Maybe things have changed but I never go below twenty to thirty miles range.

Finally I believe I read somewhere that the Hybrid won't run only on the Battery if the fuel tank is empty? So your saying that isn't correct ?

Read the post properly and you will see that if you run out of fuel and deplete the Battery then the car needs to be reset by Toyota. I'm not advising anyone to run there car dry but pointing out that even when your display says zero miles left you still have a few miles left to get to a garage and fuel up.

I believe I read somewhere that the Hybrid won't run only on the battery if the fuel tank is empty?

I believe the Gen2 Prius did something like that (there are posts on Prius Chat) but the Gen3 Prius doesn't. It keeps going until fuel and HV are depleted then becomes an immobile brick.

And the Yaris HSD?

Having only had my Auris SR180 for 6 months I recently had a trip from Derbyshire to london and back with a full tank of diesel.

After running around the outskiirts of london on my return up the M1 the fuel guage was down to the last bar and slowly flashing.

The computer range indicated another 60 miles before running out and I figured I would make it back to a local low cost petrol station

with 10 miles to spare. I was slightly wrong, as the range moleage got down to 10 miles the last bar on the fuel guage started flashing

faster. I had another 5 miles to the petrol station. I made it and proceeded to add 51.2 litres of diesel to the brim as before.

Conclusion, on this car you could safely run to zero range and then fill up in an emergency. Each car will be different depends on

the calibration of the fuel guage but having once run out of diesel it is a nightmare getting to start again. I'm going to pull my diesel

filter tomorrow ( it's only done 3000 miles) and check how much rubbish it pulled through, i usually fill up after 350/400 miles with

two bars left on the guage.

Yep,I concur. 10 liters seems to be standard for the toyotas I have/had (Corolla, Auris HSD, Prius+, CT200).

I've done over 300k miles in them and the low fuel warning normally comes on when you have about 10 liters left. This means you should easily get 50 miles on the 'reserve', probably up to 100 miles if you take it easy.

The iQ is the anomaly.

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

Yep,I concur. 10 liters seems to be standard for the toyotas I have/had (Corolla, Auris HSD, Prius+, CT200).

I've done over 300k miles in them and the low fuel warning normally comes on when you have about 10 liters left. This means you should easily get 50 miles on the 'reserve', probably up to 100 miles if you take it easy.

The iQ is the anomaly.

I don't concur with the 10 litre figure as a standard across the Toyota range, as it depends on the overall tank size. I still stand by my figure of 10%, so a Prius' 45 litre tank, that is 4.5 litres and on the Avensis' 60 litre tank, that is 6 litres. On the Prius I'm very sure, but on the Avensis, it is just an educated guess. Even if I'm wrong on the Avensis, it would be better to err on the side of 6 litres and always reach a service station before empty, rather than the other way and run out on the way to a service station.

I think the point most seem to be missing, a point also made earlier by another poster, is that the "miles to zero" is not a reading of miles until the tank is empty - it is patently not that, as so many have testified. It is the miles until you are running on the reserve allocation and once hitting the zero mark, one has make their way to the nearest suitable service station and the soonest opportunity.

In a hybrid, if you had 10 litres in your tank you should easily be able get over 100-140 miles (assuming 50 - 70 MPG). The reality is when you get the "Add Fuel" message, your range is 50-70 miles.

What is the IQ anomaly, please APS?

As I said, it depends on the calibration of the fuel guage and sensor. Each car will be different but most appear to have a slightly

more fuel left than the guage and range says. Having said that Fuel tank design also plays a part here.

Just to let you know I pulled my fuel filter to see what crap hd been pulled through filter and it was pretty dirty even after 3000 miles,

which proves the point don't let your fuel drop too low before filling up. I now have a new filter in place. Just aside I checked my

Cabin/pollen filter as well since my aircon was not quite as cold as it had been. What a shock, the whole filter was black and almost

completely blocked.It had obviously not been changed in a long time, so much for last service 'including all filters changed' by the selling garage.

Now ice cold and the blower much stronger.

On the Prius+ the low fuel warning is a beep and an orange petrol pump appears next to the bottom of the gauge. Mine beeped this morning, I did about 9 miles and filled up. I managed to get 37L in on the second click of the pump and the tank holds 45L, so I had 8L left.

What is the IQ anomaly, please APS?

Barry - it just seems a little funky in the way the fuel gauge and computer works. You can have two bars left and then you go down a hill (or up - cant remember) and suddenly it's flashing and you have 0 miles left according to the computer. I guess it's partly down to the low profile shape of the tank which makes accurately reading the fuel level at all times difficult.

You probably know better than I do how many litres are normally left when it's flashing as you have much more experience of the iQ. I don't drive ours that often.

Pontus

... Just to let you know I pulled my fuel filter to see what crap had been pulled through filter and it was pretty dirty even after 3000 miles, ...

So, does that mean that the fuel filter on an Auris is external to the fuel tank?

... I checked my Cabin/pollen filter as well since my aircon was not quite as cold as it had been. What a shock, the whole filter was black and almost completely blocked. ...

Are you sure it was a standard filter and not the Hypoallergenic Carbon filter? The carbon filter is very back to look at.

... Just to let you know I pulled my fuel filter to see what crap had been pulled through filter and it was pretty dirty even after 3000 miles, ...

So, does that mean that the fuel filter on an Auris is external to the fuel tank?

Fuel filters on all cars are external to the tank and have been for a number of years since they became small and easily replaceable...

Fuel filters on all cars are external to the tank and have been for a number of years since they became small and easily replaceable...

Cool, I better go look for mine, then.

Thanks P., yes the IQ does go between zero and two bars, and I believe has a flat petrol tank with 35 litre capacity....it does about 45 mpg, and so thimble age done equates to the lives used, eg 250 miles is approx 25 litres...but if my wife has been driving it, I may come a cropper, and tend to respect the suggestion of zero

the Prius, has just delivered 57 mpg overall after 1370 miles down to Spain with two windsurfers on the roof....but the with the boards off the roof,and trolling around Murcia, 70-80 mpg seem the norm with 30 degrees of heat.....with gas stations few and far between, and closing on Sunday's, I fell up when passing the half way mark at just on £1 a litre for 95

Hi Joseph,

Yeah, it was the standard filter not the black carbon filter. Lots of seeds and general dust etc. I'd say almost 90% blocked.

The difference is fantastic, cheap and so easy to fit..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links