Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cold Air Intake For A Celica T Sport 2004?

shanedude02

Okay, so my sister drives a 2004 Celica T Sport, and she wants to add some sort of induction kit to it. She has set me the task of looking for one for her, and since she does not drive the car hard, more of a daily, i was looking for fairly cheap induction kits just to make the car sound a bit more beefy, as she does not actually NEED a performance gain, (though it would not be an issue).

So looking on eBay, I have found these two;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA-GT-140BHP-00-06-1-8-16V-SHORT-RAM-AIR-INDUCTION-INTAKE-FILTER-KIT-/151185398672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Model%3ACelica&hash=item23335a1b90

^^^This looks like a Short Ram intake, but it specified it is for the 140BHP model, which is not the T Sport.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA-00-06-1-8-16v-GTS-ZZT231-190BHP-VVTLi-AIR-INDUCTION-FILTER-KIT-/121656304091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c5347e1db

^^^This one specifies it is for the 190BHP model, which is the T Sport which has VVTL-i.

Assuming the second one is the one that'll fit her car, what goes into installing one of these? I know i will need to put the MAF sensor onto the new tubing, as well as the other air tube (which i am not sure of the job), but apart from removing the factory airbox and filter, what else will I need to do to install this? I would assume the Celica has a resonator box, so will I need to get under the car to remove this or can I leave it in place, and just ignore it?

It has a 1.8 Litre engine with VVTL-i which I assume makes it the 2ZZ-GE producing about 190BHP (from factory, not sure how many horses have escaped)

If you need anymore information, feel free to ask, any help will be appreciated.

The main reason my sister wants this mod is for the slightly beefier sound when accelerating

Yep you've about got it.

It is the Corolla Celica T-Sport 2ZZ-GE VVTL-i that your sister has.

I wouldn't put a cheap filter on it - it's the only thing protecting the engine intake. Get a K&N if you must have it.

They do a Typhoon intake kit that is/was a popular upgrade, I have one and it's fine off throttle but certianly sounds the part on throttle and particularly in lift.

They're an easy home fit, the worst you might have to do is extend the maf Wiring for some kits. Bolt off, bolt on.

She has a Celica not Corolla, but I assume the intake kit would be the same. Since the K&N kits are so expensive, would it be cheaper and just as good to get this kit for the tubing, and an actual K&N pod filter?

Sorry, I edited my post, I thought i was in the corolla sub forum!

YEs, you could get the pod filter, but the intakes on these cars are actually pretty carefully designed and they DO have a decent impact on power - negatively if the intake isn't properly thought out. The length and volume of the intake tract and the position of the MAF sensor have to be correct or the ECU can throw check engine lights.

The celica and corolla intakes are acually different - due to room in the engine bay and the angle of inlet to the inlet plenum is actually different between the two engines.

On a highly tuned NA engine, which is what the 2ZZ is, I wouldn't bother putting a cheap no-name intake on it personally. It's likely to do more harm than good.

Thanks for the help, ill tell her that unless she wants to spend a lot more money on an intake, she could be making the car worse. Thanks for the info. Saved her like £37 that could have made the car worse XD

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links