Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Oil Problem With A 1.8 Avensis 2008 ?

T444kids

Hello all, I came on the site a while back asking for advice on a auris, anyway after a couple of test drives, we decided not to go ahead as the boot space simply isn't big enough for our camping gear. .....so we've set our sights on an avensis estate, going to view one on Saturday, decided against a diesel as we only do about 8k per year, my worry is ive been told these 1.8 engines use oil? Is this true or is the year I'm looking at ok? Last of the mk 2 model late 08. Is this a good choice of car? Any advice before Saturday greatly welcomed. Many thanks. Gary.

the oil-burning problem was solved ~2006. Never be a sports car but good loadlugger. Should be a good choice as run out models are highly specc'ed for the money.

• Like 1

That's good news!! As this was really bothering me.

Not looking for anything sporty, just practical, I looked at one parked up at Asda last week, the boots perfect for camping stuff, anything else I should be looking out for? Am I right in thinking this is a chain driven engine too?

Thanks for the reply. Gaz

1 thing to look out for are the lugs for the tonneau cover in the T25 series Tourer - these are prone to breaking & you can't buy them as a spare part .... a new tonneau is £x00s.

oem lights are poor but can be improved with upgrade bulbs.

Front & rear light clusters can suffer from condensation/leaks.

Once again thanks for the swift reply, so overall nothing mechanical to be concerned with? I'll be looking at cars with around 50k on I do about 8k per year, normally keeping my cars for around 3-4 years, so should be a safe buy, to be honest the only other thing that come close for the money was a Ford Focus estate, so it's a no brainier that I'm choosing the toyota! My last two cars other than the vw t4 I had have been honda,these have been faultless, did contemplate a used accord estate but I personally think they look awfull. So hopefully going for a used toyota will prove a good choice. Thanks again. Gaz

if you buy a car with a full service history & were willing to pay the premium you could extend the Toyota warranty up to 10 years if you wanted.

The petrols seem boringly reliable (to be fair so are the diesels apart from generic issues to modern common rail direct injection engines & 1 potential "biggy" issue that affects probably under 5% of them).

this question was asked by another member this month. have a read

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/168063-buying-advice-and-1zz-fe-years-to-avoid/

the 2008 should be fine as mentioned. I would pick the avensis over the focus, ford seem depreciate quickly. the used reliable Toyota's keep their value as they exported to African and Asian countries.

i think you will find you have a reliable car that just eats long journeys with ease. ive had mine for six years its at 172k miles and going strong, takes a lot of use and shrugs it off, as ive said before for me if it had a bigger engine and more power id stop looking at bmw and audi estates with a tiny bit of envy,

Hi,

As stubb says above,awesome car really,reliable and very comfortable.Especially good if you do not like paying out for repairs!

Have had mine,T3x auto,for 6 years,never missed a beat.

I am actually looking at changing now to maybe a BMW or Audi,but I am really struggling to find something I feel confident in....

Cheers....Phil.

I do like the later Phase 2 Mk2 Avensis. It has a few of advantages over the Mk3. First - there is a hatchback version, well plenty of them. Second - they will be generally cheaper. The handbrake is standard. All issues from early models are sorted.

The disadvantage is that the petrols have only 5 speed (that does not matter too much), some will think it is out of date and prefer something newer.

The engines are chain cam. Just change the oil at regular intervals.

Well thanks to all of you for all your advice/answers, the one I went to look at had been sold!!!

I'm in no panic, I think I'll get my summer hols out the way and resume the search.

I'm going for a late as possible mk 2 estate, as low as mileage I can find, mannual, with s/h. I really prefer the lighter colours than the black/dark blue.

Soon as I have one I'll be back with the news!

Many thanks. Gaz

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links