Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres

vecoie

Sorry if this topic has been covered before.

Need to get some new tyres for my t27 avensis. Just trying to find some decent tyres to fit

I currently cover 20,000 miles a year.

Any recommendations?

thanks

Size?? Budget??

Was thinking mid range.

Tyre size 215/55 17 94w.

Always used kumhos on my t25. But they were 16s.

Goodyear efficient Grip Performance are ~£90 in mainland UK if you search around but I don't know who will deliver to N.I.

Is that too dear anyway?

Think Black Circles do ...

never found them that cheap myself ...

oponeo would be £96 each delivered incl a surcharge for NI

Blackcircles did offer a price match service - presume they still do after being bought out by Michelin.

I've been offered Goodyear excel fitted for 78. But not sure if its a good tyre. Obviously Goodyear is a good make but the excel doesn't seem to get a good review

if you reckon fitting, a new valve & disposal of the old tyre is going to cost you ~£12-13 each that means the tyre is costing you ~£65.

I don't know enough about the Excel to say yay or nay.

Tyre is a tyre at the end of the day. All do the same job, save yourself some money and get on blackcircles. I bought cheapest tyres they had 2 years ago and they are still fine. Also I do 20,000 a year

Tyre is a tyre at the end of the day. All do the same job, save yourself some money and get on blackcircles. I bought cheapest tyres they had 2 years ago and they are still fine. Also I do 20,000 a year

There are differences between tyres. In this test (google translated from Norwegian) the difference in wet braking distance was 19.4%: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.naf.no%2Fforbrukertester%2Fdekktester%2Fsommerdekktest-2015%2Ftabeller-sommerdekktest-2015%2F&edit-text=

At the end of the day they are all roadworthy and I have had no problems stopping

My experience with cheap tyres are that they are at best barely roadworthy. This is confirmed by tests like the one I linked to. What is worse is that they can be directly dangerous: http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/2007-07-12/made-in-china-faulty-tiresbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

• 3 weeks later...

I had planned to put four Jinyu YU63 215/50R17 on my 2L T3S D4D Estate....

I used to work for Michelin years ago and learned a lot about tyres... but budget wise, nearly £500 for four Michelin was just a bridge too far.....

However, after being let down by the tyre place in Northampton where I had ordered after finding them on Asda Tyres, they ordered the wrong ones in.... YU61, which are much poorer on fuel economy figures....

A very cheap tyre though, the YU63 gets good ratings for both fuel economy and wet weather grip, although being noisier than some.

Having been let down, I went home for the weekend... had to shop around and could really only guarantee getting two Michelin Primacy 3... supposed to have had 95W XL but the fitter wrongly fitted the 91W.

Now that's not a problem as the car only needs 91V rated tyres.

However..... the difference in the car is remarkable.... so much quieter... so quiet I was running at the (cough) legal limit and only had the radio set to 25... previously I needed 35 to hear it!

I know I have a front near side bearing starting to go and even that was a lot quieter... slightly odd, but I have heard that a bad tyre can sound like a bearing on this model.

So, I ended up having my budget blown on two tyres instead of four..... but I will probably replace the rears, when they need it, with two more Michelin...... they are rated 3dB lower than the Jinyu for noise and it is very obvious when in the car!

Wet weather grip though is A rated for the Michelin..... so a better buy for the miles I do.

Price wise though...ouch.

& given the climate that you live in.

False economy saving on tyres if you end up crashing the car! :P

Totally agree with Les, the Michelins are the best tyres for normal road use. I had them on my last Auris as OEM equipment, lasted 30,000 miles no problem and never even had to balance them. Mine were made in France and all had matching lot numbers. Only query, I was told some of the Michelins made by their satellite factories weren't up to standard. Used to know a guy who worked in ATS (owned by Michelin) who said he could guarantee getting the tyres from France.

I just checked the price of 215/50-17 tyres, they were about twice the price of the 195/60-15 ones I have on my car. One more reason not to replace my old car. As for Michelin, I had a scary experience with some of their winter tyres (I think they were called Maxi Ice) some years ago. There were about 5 cm of wet snow on the road, so I drove carefully at about 30 km/h. When I reached a curve I tried to turn, but the car just went straight ahead. I slammed on the brakes (it was a mk2 Golf, so no ABS), and the speed decreased slowly. A couple of meters before I would have hit the concrete barrier at the side of the road I released the brakes and the car turned the way the wheels pointed. The rest of the journey I drove at 20 km/h. The tyres were great on ice, but not so good on snow, especially wet snow. Here on the western coast of Norway we have much more wet snow and slush than ice. I have had good experiences with Continental and Nokian, but I always read the most recent reviews when I need to replace my tyres.