lawlor2401

Not Starting When Hot

Is there anyone out there who can help me.

Toyota Rav 4d4 2002

My rav will not start when hot. When my temperature guage gets up to half way it will not start, even when going to the garage and trying to jump start it. I have had so far, had it on the diagnostic machine and no faults found. I have had a crankshaft sensor fitted, and also a coolant temp sensor fitted. I stalled the car at the traffic lights the other night whilst hot stuck in the middle of the road myself and my daughter had to push it out of the way of the traffic and sit in it until temp guage had gone down (which was on a hot evening which took an hour) until it would start. Please can anyone give me some ideas as to what else it could be... The engine will turn but just will not fire.

Also failed to mention fitted a new fuel filter, had new turbo fitted as whilst I had bad starting when hot the turbo went.

maybe a wild goose chase but it may be related to a crash/inertia switch which cuts fuel in case of impact, I have never come across a problem before relating to this but thats where I would start, not even sure what type is fitted, but maybe a bad connection or the temp is making it trigger, think it's on the bulkhead, If I get time I will try and look into it, but I have just given up working on motors, but always trying to help....

you need to make sure you have fuel pressure when starting hot and cold, good luck

Hi

Did you ever fix the problem?

I have had the same issue for over 12 months with my 2004 RAV4. I have had new SCV vales, new starter motor, new Battery and still the same. My local Toyota dealer does not know what is wrong and just keep on suggesting to try replacing different parts.

It is going back in next week as they now think it could be a relay on the EDU unit.... costs £900 !!!

I am pushing them to get this fixed FOC as i have spent enough already, on their advice....

Cheers Drew

I had this problem on a Hyundai Trajet Diesel.

Someone at work mentioned the Battery voltage. One of the cells was down and I was only getting 11.8V.

I replaced the Battery and it has been OK since.

With all the electronics on cars nowadays they are really voltage sensitive.

Hope this helps

Adyb

Hi I have the same problem did you find out what the problem was ? 

Have you had the timing belt done lately by any chance 

i have but the problem was there before hand 

Or ok it's just my dad's was just like that when he bought it it was also a bit noisy so I looked at the diesel pump timing some diesel's don't need the pumps timing up but these do and people have put belts on without doing this but if the belt was always fitted correctly and this can't be the case but his was exactly the same sorry I couldn't help but will you let me know what the fix is please 

I had the same issue and replaced the Battery and starter motor with a 2.2KW unit a couple of months ago. This seemed to fix it but in the last few weeks I've noticed it's getting worse again, the car fires up perfectly from cold but when warm it's definitely a longer crank (but it starts and that's an improvement on before!)

So if you're happy with the problem being masked but making the car usable I'd change the motor. I don't think there is a known fix for this but if it gets worse I'll be considering injectors/fuel pump as likely candidates for the issue.

Posted (edited)

Hi chaps I had a Rav 4 D4D  for 10 years and for the last 2 we had problems starting when hot, tried everything sensors Battery ect . then uprated the starter motor to a 2.2 kw which only just fits

it fixed our problem at a cost of about £120,[ did the work ourselves]  we  would have kept the Rav /  but in the meantime we had bought a Yeti, much younger,But had it for about a month  before selling it without a moments problem.    

Edited by BOB IN BED
spelling mistake