Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Cam

Lorna2

Hi

I haven't been on here in a while, as I've not really had much time to be on forums. Maybe some will still remember me ;)

I'm looking for some advice about which dash cam to get. Or which ones are best avoided - don't want to be getting a rubbish one :no: I want one that's easy to use and has a decent memory.

Its just shocking the level of 'driving' that's actually on the road :eek: and the lengths some people will go to with lies to cover for themselves. Still I'm glad to have the Yaris back home in its wee spot in the driveway tonight.

I use a Mobius with a 32GB micro SD on a permanent loop. I wired up a 12v USB connector to the ignition so it starts up as soon as I start the engine.

It comes with windows software to set it up, and it's been running for the past 18 months without a hitch.

I bought a cheap one from China:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-HD-Car-Vehicle-Dash-Dashboard-Camera-IR-DVR-Cam-CCTV-Night-Vision-SmartCam-/281726075482?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41982ec25a

Add in the two SD cards you'll need - One in reserve in case you need to keep the evidence!

Came in handy when white-van-man clipped the front of my car in a motorway service area.

"Didn't touch you mate" was his response.

Changed his attitude when I pointed out the camera.

• Like 1

The Which? Best Buy was the Nextbase iN-car cam 420G Professional (scored 70% in the Which? test), and the next best scoring model was the Transcend DrivePro 200 (61%).

• Like 1

I use a Mobius with a 32GB micro SD on a permanent loop. I wired up a 12v USB connector to the ignition so it starts up as soon as I start the engine.

It comes with windows software to set it up, and it's been running for the past 18 months without a hitch.

I'll not be wiring anything up to the ignition. What other easy way is there to connect it? Can you tell me more about the permanent loop? How would I know when the card is full so I can wipe it? Sorry for the silly questions, clearly a total beginner here :)

Don,t know about others but mine starts again when full but keeps what is on in the case of sensing a crash.

Del

Mine's just plugged into the !Removed! lighter socket, that's only on when the ignition's on. I do remove it when I'm parked anywhere 'iffy', on the basis the scrotes will break into any car to nick anything worth more than a couple of quid.

I've got a 32Gb card in mine (IIRC) that records around eight hours. It records on a loop and just over-records the earlier stuff when full.

Seems the swear filter doesn't like the slang for a cigarette. What do I call the first year slave I had when at Cambridge?

WB! I remember you! :)

There's another user here, Wiz, who has a car cam in her Aygo; Has posted some footage, looks pretty good.

I've also been looking at cams, but want one that's more discreet as I'm worried someone will try and nick it.

The one I've got my eye on atm is the A118 as it's relatively small and not too expensive:

(www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3eDXKLNLys)

There is another one that looks identical called that Street Guardian SG9665GC that has a better lens, an uprated camera and faster processor, but it costs 3x as much :eek:

The Techmoan channel on YouTube has quite a lot of car camera reviews so might be worth a browse!

• Like 1

WB! I remember you! :)

There's another user here, Wiz, who has a car cam in her Aygo; Has posted some footage, looks pretty good.

Here you go - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/165192-dash-cam-footage/?hl=%2Bdash+%2Bcam

She has a link at post 5 - and it is the Transcend DrivePro 200 she has: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GRYT5QI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I'll not be wiring anything up to the ignition. What other easy way is there to connect it? Can you tell me more about the permanent loop? How would I know when the card is full so I can wipe it? Sorry for the silly questions, clearly a total beginner here :)

When set up a Mobius you can select it to loop so when the card becomes full it justs starts to erase the oldest recording whilst making the new. When you set the loops they are in 5,10,15 mins etc with an overlaping recording so as not to miss anything. You could set it up to turn on automatically when you plug it into the cigar socket if you wish.

• Like 1

I personally use both a trancend drive pro 200 and also one of these which I swear by http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P-In-Car-Vehicle-Dual-Lens-Dashboard-Camera-Video-Recorder-DVR-CAM-/351035675883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51bb5b54eb

The latter is fitted in all 5 cars in the house hold and very good for front and rear footage capture, as shown in a rear ender I had in 2013.

Regarding wiring in the Yaris, I've recently used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-to-5V-Car-DVR-Exclusive-Power-Box-DC-Power-Cable-for-Car-Dash-Cam-/231322006980?hash=item35dbddb5c4 piggy backed into the fuse for the rear wiper on our 2014 trend (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-A-Circuit-Car-Auto-Piggy-Back-Mini-APS-ATT-Blade-Fuse-Tap-Holder-12V-24V-/321778279799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aeb7ae577) as a way to have ignition switched feed and keep the aux power port free for other things - also hides all the wiring out of the way :)

Thanks everybody for all your advice :) I think I'll go for the Nextbase 402G in Halfords. And sure I know where to come if I have any questions about it. I'll just be plugging it in. I don't like messy wires but I'm not letting anybody in Halfords hard wire it in. Its probably easy enough but I don't want to do anything that would affect the warranty.

This chap does some brilliant reviews on video, take a look at some of them, he does FAQ's and a good beginners guide

http://www.techmoan.com/

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks very much for all your help everyone. I went out to Halfords this evening and got the Nextbase 402. All set up, I couldn't believe how easy it was. :driving:

So can we expect something like this from you ...

A little late to this, but just to add my two penneth, I have the 'Mini 0801'.
Very discreet (so discreet, I leave it in all the time), excellent picture quality, 8Gb internal memory plus SD card slot.
Had it since Jan '14, still going strong...though the bracket is starting to gain some play from when I used to take the whole camera out of the car to transfer clips, instead of just the SD card...like a fool.
3.jpg

• Like 1

Back again! I've been using it but found a bit of a problem. It falls off the screen when I'm driving. This is round the village at up to 30mph. I've it stuck to the glass behind the rear view mirror. I stuck it onto the black dots on the screen, and tried just on the plain glass, but it made no difference. Any ideas on how to get round this?

I'd love to have it hardwired in, but I don't think any dealer is going to do that.

Don't stick it on the black dots.

You'll need to clean the glass thoroughly. I use a chamois leather.

If the missus has a problem getting it to stick, she huffs on the suction pad.

I presume you've sussed the operation and use the lever to create the vacuum?

If it's a double sided sticky pad then the black dots should be fine, if a vacuum suction unit then will need to be plain glass.

Any auto electrician should be able to hard wire it for you, alternatively it's not too difficult to do yourself with the knowledge. I've done it in my Prius and our Yaris, and I'd use more the term softwired as there was no cable chopping or splicing, just plug and play piggy backed off of the fuse box using the kit I've previously linked.

Its got a vacuum suction mount. Could I attach sticky pads to it instead? Yes I did use the lever. I think my hands aren't strong enough.

Would one of those dash mats for sat navs to sit on be any good?

Even if I could get someone to attach it to the fuse box with a kit, would that not affect the Toyota warranty?

In short no, it'll only affect a warranty claim if it can be proven to have been the direct cause of the claim occurring.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/30/2015 at 9:56 AM, MEP's Yaris GS said:

Regarding wiring in the Yaris, I've recently used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-to-5V-Car-DVR-Exclusive-Power-Box-DC-Power-Cable-for-Car-Dash-Cam-/231322006980?hash=item35dbddb5c4 piggy backed into the fuse for the rear wiper on our 2014 trend (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-A-Circuit-Car-Auto-Piggy-Back-Mini-APS-ATT-Blade-Fuse-Tap-Holder-12V-24V-/321778279799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aeb7ae577) as a way to have ignition switched feed and keep the aux power port free for other things - also hides all the wiring out of the way :)

Hi all

I've bought a hardwire kit as I'm desperate to get away from having this cable dangling around in the cabin which looks like the one linked by MEP's Yaris GS, but when I look at the fuses under the glovebox and the ones to the right of the engine bay, they all look too small to plug the piggyback device into - can I ask, is there somewhere else I should be looking? 

Kind regards,

David

It sounds like you have bought the wrong piggy-back lead - There are a lot of different ones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)

IIRC the Mk2 Yaris uses the Low Profile Micro Fuse type.

I bought one too for my dash cam, but discovered there wasn't enough clearance to put it in and still be able to put the internal fusebox cover back on.

Instead, I ran the wires further on down to the lighter socket and piggy-backed them onto that - Has worked well so far!

On 2/11/2018 at 1:37 PM, Cyker said:

It sounds like you have bought the wrong piggy-back lead - There are a lot of different ones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)

IIRC the Mk2 Yaris uses the Low Profile Micro Fuse type.

I bought one too for my dash cam, but discovered there wasn't enough clearance to put it in and still be able to put the internal fusebox cover back on.

Instead, I ran the wires further on down to the lighter socket and piggy-backed them onto that - Has worked well so far!

Fantastic, thank you Cyker. I'm a total novice so might try getting another low profile fuse and leave the cover off for now if it works. Many thanks for the reply!