Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 Corolla Clicking Noise (like Indicator/plastic Expanding)

jono987

Hello everyone, my corolla has started doing something strange and wondered if anyone could help.

While driving it will randomly make a strange noise from the front, not sure if its coming from the steering column, the clutch or somewhere else.

Its hard to describe, it sounds kind of like the indicator being on but 10 times faster, or the sound of plastic expandng. Its basically lots of clicks very fast for a few seconds.

It did it about 10 times on the 30 mile drive to work today, both at low speeds and on the motorway.

Thankyou!

Not something I have experienced, though your description makes me think of a relay chattering on and off.

Did you notice any indicator light coming on the dashboard at the same time ?

Any connection with using the air con during this hot weather ?

Any work been done on the car recently ?

What model is yours Petrol or Diesel ?

Thanks for the reply! The indicator light did not come on and it happens both when aircon is off and when its on. Its just come back from the garage after someone went into the back of me and it had a new back bumper and a new panel, but the noise seems to be coming from the front.

Its the 1.6 petrol.

Another way to describe it is a creaking noise, like sitting in an old chair. At first i thought it was the steering wheel creaking but it seems to do it while cruising on the motorway in a straight line.

Sorry cannot offer any more ideas as to what the noise is, but would suggest you go for a run with a passenger so they can locat

good luck

• 3 years later...

I have the same problem.

Think its to do with the A/C because when I turn the control up to a higher temp then a few seconds later turn it down to LO and then back to approx. my normal temp it goes.

Just one of those annoying things !

The Fan bearings gone in the A/C unit? New fan needed perhaps?

I'd say it's the usual problem with air mix servo's making noise.

Those things are a very common thing to go and when they do it's very annoying.

One way of getting rid of the sound for a short while is to change the temperature up and down until the servo's gears stop sliding. Or was it an arm that couldn't stop in the right position? Can't remember but it's a popular issue and there's a proposed way of fixing it on some forum.

I have the same issue that comes only in cold and damp weather such as now. In summer there's no issues unless it's a very wet week.

I feel like at the end of this winter I'll go completely crazy and try to get it fixed myself, but first off to dealers we go to find out how much they want for the parts. There's no aftermarket solution for it and buying used may lead to the same problem.

• Like 1

When you say it makes a sound going in a straight line on the motorway, this seems to indicate more of a problem with creeking suspension perhaps? What happens if you bounce each corner of the car, does it make the same sound?