Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice On 18inch Wheels On 2008 Auris

Reuben G

Hi guys. I have a 2008 Toyota Auris and was thinking of an wheel upgrade. I have a set 5/114.3 alloy wheels that I wanted to put onto my vehicle. I would appreciate some advice on a profile of tyre that will be ideal? Do you guys think that this car will need to be lowered with regards to the suspension? I do not want really want to lower suspension due to poor roads in South Africa. Some pictures of cars with 18inch alloys without a lowered suspension or advice with regards to my situation would be appreciated

Thank you

Put a 40 profile tyre on .... The car won't need to be lowered to fit them but if you wanted to of course you could you just have to make sure the wheel doesn't foul on the suspension and on the inner arch when you put full steering on

Put a 40 profile tyre on

The 40 is the height of the tyre, but in percentage of the width. Thus for example a 225/40 would be 90mm high, but a 195/40 would be 78mm high. Quite a difference IMHO.

Thanks for reply. I was just wondering if the car has bigger wheels, will it look odd due it being seen like kind of high....like a 4x4 without a lowered suspension.

the idea is to keep the rolling radius of the tyre the same whether on 17" or 18" wheels.

Fitting 18" wheels with lower profile rubber may give you marginally better roadholding but I can guarantee that it will also give you a harsher ride (not such a good idea on poor roads).

The tyres will also be dearer & at least in the UK most insurance companies would want to be informed of the change & may increase the premium.

I have a white Auris....here is a picture of the wheels. tell what you guys think? Lol.....please any suggestions would be appreciated

post-141853-0-83463200-1436113998_thumb.

With 18" you will need 225/40 tyres. But if you are not going to lower the car, don't install them. Rim on the pic is nice but it will make you look like you're driving 4x4, you're right. So you need at least 30mm drop. Only lowering springs, there won't be that much difference in the ride. 18" rims with low profile tyres will make the ride harsh, lowering springs not that much. So maybe you should go for 17" wheels. They are good compromise between look and ride quality. But you can put 18" that's not a problem. There are guys who are driving with 18" wheels and coilovers even in Russia on very poor roads.

If you won't lower it will look like this with big rims:

30971_0.jpeg?u=176209

If you will lower it by 30mm it will look like this (this is my car, when it was still high. Oh my, how high it was indeed... :D Now I have coilovers.)

on3XNsPl.jpg

Alan cheers but I figured he would be staying a similar width

Hi. Yes Speed chaser. Exactly what I was worried about. I guess I am not going to install them due to here coilovers are ridiclously priced. I would rather maybe just change the standard rims. I would go for a TSW 16inch. My stock wheels are 16inch. I appreciate your all you guys advice and suggestions. I will sell the 18inch wheels.

No mate don't sell them, you can just install lowering springs which lower the car for 30mm like on the silver Auris in the second pic. It will be just allright for both ride and look, also quite cheap. You can get lowering springs for around 150€ I think, might be even less if you'll search for used ones. Oh hey I could actually sell you mine as I don't need them anymore as I'm on coilovers now :) PM me if you're interested.

Hi. Speedchaser. Thanks for the assistance and the information. I would consider having it lowered but I am not to keen due to ride quality and road conditions here. I am in South Africa so abit hesitant. I really have to think hard about it. I thank you for the offer to buy

Yeah no problem, I'm sure you could buy them locally aswell or order somewhere. One guy was driving with this setup (coilovers and 18" wheels) in Russia without any problems:

32524570006_original.jpg

So it's more of your own choice. Of course you won't be able to drive everywhere like on 4X4 car, I mean you will have to look around and stay alert, but it's not that bad. If you want to be safe go for 17" wheels and 30mm lowering. You will get almost same result without over the top big rims. It will be clean and balanced setup for good look and happy driving :) Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi. That car looks great. I will consider all that advice given to me guys. Really appreciate that. I will keep you guys informed of my decision.

certainly in the UK if you lower your car that counts as a modification & you should inform your insurer (who may vary your premium accordingly).

Hmmmm think I'll not lol ....

Hi Guys. Sorry was away. Speedchaser thanks for the link on those springs. I am considering all that you have mentioned. I appreciate it. I will looking at that option. Will keep you guys updated. Thanks again.

• 4 years later...
On 7/5/2015 at 11:45 PM, Speed_Chaser said:

With 18" you will need 225/40 tyres. But if you are not going to lower the car, don't install them. Rim on the pic is nice but it will make you look like you're driving 4x4, you're right. So you need at least 30mm drop. Only lowering springs, there won't be that much difference in the ride. 18" rims with low profile tyres will make the ride harsh, lowering springs not that much. So maybe you should go for 17" wheels. They are good compromise between look and ride quality. But you can put 18" that's not a problem. There are guys who are driving with 18" wheels and coilovers even in Russia on very poor roads.

If you won't lower it will look like this with big rims:

30971_0.jpeg?u=176209

If you will lower it by 30mm it will look like this (this is my car, when it was still high. Oh my, how high it was indeed... 😄 Now I have coilovers.)

on3XNsPl.jpg

Hi with 18 inch Rims can u lower it 40mm bec I found some springs there still new and cheep 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links