Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Ved £140 Flat Rate?

cootuk

If I read it right, from 2017 any new cars that aren't zero emission will have £140pa VED, or higher.

Only cars registered in 2017 will be included in the new bands. There will be no change to existing cars already owned, but does this mean if you register an older car in your name after 2017 it will then fall under the new bands ???

Replace your Prius with a new Prius, Auris HSD or even a 1.0 Aygo in 2017 on the new bandings and you'll pay £140 per year at tax renewal time instead of £0 as of today.

Replace your 4 litre Range Rover Overfinch, Bentley GT or Mercedes S500 gas guzzler in 2017 with another one and instead of £500 per year, you'll pay £140 a year just like the plebs.

We're all in this together ;)

• Like 1

The revised bands apply to cars first registered on or after 1st April 2017.

Can imagine there will be a glut of new cars registered in March 2017 - qualifying for the new 17 registration plate but before the new VED bands come into force......

Should help maintain the used market value of band A & B vehicles under the current scheme for a while.

Looks like Toyota will have no £0 cars at that point though unless they reveal an EV.

Should help maintain the used market value of band A & B vehicles under the current scheme for a while.

Looks like Toyota will have no £0 cars at that point though unless they reveal an EV.

Well higher rates also apply to cars over £40k, so that's the Mirai stuffed then :)

The UK price has yet to be decided. Toyota's suggested price for Europe is £63-66,000, which, based on its zero emissions and a possible list price of over £40K, gives a VED of £310.

The way I read it zero emissions will be tax exempt regardless of cost. Or is this new toyota not zero emissions?

Taxation is calculated on a combination of emissions and list price.

Yes, 3 bands, first being zero emissions, second being those that emit and are <£40k and third being those that emit and are £40k>

There is actually a quasi 4th band too, which is 0 emissions and >£40k, which cars like the Tesla Model S will fall into...

Very confusing this new system, and maybe bad news for sales of Toyota hybrids:

screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-14.34.35.jpg?i

So after year one, all cars will be £140, unless list price is above £40k, then they're £140+£310 (yep £450 a year) until 6 years old. I foresee a lot of premium cars with special editions just under £40k to buy. Zero emissions is free - for now, as long as there isn't too many of them around, I suppose. It's not clear if £40k zero emissions are free or not.

So a new Auris HSD will be £100 for the first year tax, and a Auris 1.33 petrol will be £160. I doubt the £60 saving will matter much when the hybrid is so much more to buy in the first place. And then in Year 2, they'll both be £140.

Personally, I prefer the hybrids and I like the advantages of no diesel issues, reliability, smoothness etc. Not sure if that's enough for the average buyer though. That £0 car tax was a major plus.

To be honest, VED has never been an important issue for us when we've bought a new car (and we're looking around at present to buy our 18th) - more concerned with whether the car fits our needs. Needs like space, accessibility (prefer five doors to three doors, will the boot hold a massage table, etc), affordability (cost to change, etc), to a degree performance and economy, whether they will fit inside the garage, etc are more important to us.

That £0 car tax was a major plus.

It makes a good headline figure but in the grand scheme of things the saving on fuel spend is much bigger. I have halved my fuel bill going from an Astra to a Prius.

screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-14.34.35.jpg?i

It's not clear if £40k zero emissions are free or not.

From that chart I would say a zero emissions £40k+ car would be £310 a year for 5 years.

Yup; Bit of a kick in the nuts to e.g. new Tesla owners unless they can get the price below £40k by then! (Although if they pull that off we may see GC with one earlier than we thought :lol:)

To be fair, we all pretty much called this years ago. We knew once low emissions 0-tax vehicles started to become popular they'd jack up the taxes again. Didn't think they'd do it like this tho'! Thought they'd go back to engine size or something...

I always though they'd just lower the goalposts; 0-50 = £free, 50-75, £20, 75-100 £30, 100-110 £100, 110-120 £120 etc.

But I'll still be ok and I'm loving the Leaf. Mrs Cabbie loves it too. She says that when it accelerates at the lights it's like taking off on a plane. You even get the little whine of the motor. You really are thrown back in the seat when you floor it. Not bad for a small, family hatchback.

I do wonder how the new car tax regime will affect the Toyota hybrids. Car tax isn't the end of the world compared to fuel costs, but it is a regular out going and something else extra to budget for. With our two Toyotas only costing £20 a year in total, it was insignificant. If we bought those cars new in 2017 they'd cost us £280 a year with is. Now if Toyota had a truely zero emission and affordable option..... :)

Yup; Bit of a kick in the nuts to e.g. new Tesla owners unless they can get the price below £40k by then! ...

The next Tesla after the Model X, the Model III (3), may be out around 2017/8. It's mooted to have a target starting price of £30 or so, and be similar size to a BMW 3 series...

But but but I want something Yaris Mk1-sized that can do at least 300 'boy racer'* miles on a charge and cost less than 15,000. And the Moon. On a Stick. :P

@Cabbie - Torque is what makes driving fun! :D It has to be said, there is a certain appeal to having full engine torque available at 0 RPM :naughty:

* I have decided that 'boy racer' should be a new mpg category, to go alongside urban, extra urban and combined

But but but I want something Yaris Mk1-sized that can do at least 300 'boy racer'* miles on a charge and cost less than 15,000.

Looks like you might be able to get a new Tesla for £30 ;)

• Like 1

Yup; Bit of a kick in the nuts to e.g. new Tesla owners unless they can get the price below £40k by then! ...

The next Tesla after the Model X, the Model III (3), may be out around 2017/8. It's mooted to have a target starting price of £30 or so, and be similar size to a BMW 3 series...

Oops - I meant £30k !!

Would love to see the potential lease price on a £30K Tesla - they could really steal the show if it's decent with a high residual.

Damnit you two, you're shattering my dreams! A £30 Tesla! :lol:

• Like 1