Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D-cat Vibration

mravikt

Hi Guys,

I'd like to ask for your opinion.

Is this amount of shaking normal for a 2AD-FHV engine, or am I overstating the problem? (140k miles on the clock)

There's been many issues with the car recently... new gearbox, clutch, dmf.

I suspect something's wrong with the engine mounting. The whole block seems to be tilted towards the firewall more than before,

and the engine noise is very clearly audible in the cockpit (idling, diesel rattling, turbo whistle, etc.)

Here's a video of the vibration. The two last cuts are slo-mo. Maybe some of you hear something in it...

https://youtu.be/_NGqAKxVgo8

Thanks in advance

• 2 years later...

This is a really old topic, but I have exactly same problem - even the sound is exactly the same as in video. Stock SR180.

Does anyone have any ideas what to look for? I have a feeling that something went looks in engine mounting - as initially it was much more silent.

4 minutes ago, Artiom said:

This is a really old topic, but I have exactly same problem - even the sound is exactly the same as in video. Stock SR180.

Does anyone have any ideas what to look for? I have a feeling that something went looks in engine mounting - as initially it was much more silent.

Hey Artiom,

In my case it turned out the the other workshop (my regular one was closed for holiday) did something wrong when they put the engine back after installing the new gearbox.

There's a support arm on the top of the transaxle case (for the intercooler air pipe I think) which they put back turned 180 degrees...  

Later my mechanic disovered and fixed this, and the vibration was gone. :)

Thank you for the info! I will ask my mechanic to have a look at it and will post here the results :)

Hi, I have a D-Cat (A Rav) and not being funny a bit newer than yours and there is no noise at all and I have never heard a diesel making that weird noise towards the end of the video where the top plastic cover is removed. I've worked in many garages but this is a new one on me and congrats to the mechanic who sorted out Tibor's car and I have joined this thread to see when Artiom's car is mended what the problem is with your vehicle. I hope you manage to get it sorted mate, Mike.

TBH, I think at the second half of the video it is first slowed down (the video and sound) and then accelerated - to provide a different view that may help diagnosing the issue. @mravikt can confirm whether I am correct or not.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2017 at 9:37 PM, Artiom said:

TBH, I think at the second half of the video it is first slowed down (the video and sound) and then accelerated - to provide a different view that may help diagnosing the issue. @mravikt can confirm whether I am correct or not.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes it's a slomo video recorded with an iPhone.

• Like 1

Ok, so my car was at the garage today - unfortunately the mechanic could not find anything wrong with the car. He said that the sound of the injectors ("tak-tak-tak" - like in the video in the first post) is normal and as long as the car drives fine - no need to worry. Actually the engine does not vibrate so badly as in the video - so it should be fine.

One of his "hypothesis" was that the injectors may be a bit dirty - and he suggested to try a injector cleaner additive.

On a positive side, I learned today to distinguish sounds of injectors/EGR/aircon pump and how to check for specific sound sources using a crowbar as a stethoscope :)