Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T22 - Brake Light Warning Illuminates

Radiodanno

Hey Y'all

Got a weird one with my MK1 Avensis at the moment.

Under heavy acceleration, the handbrake warning light comes on. I've checked there's not the obligatory 20p coin stuck in the handbrake mechanism, and there's nothing other than 16 years worth of detritus.

Forum searches lead me to brake fluid - but that LOOKS to be fine, if a little old.

I suppose it could be a sensor...

What I'd like to know is what ELSE could it be? I've got new discs and pads on the front, but the backs are - amazingly - the originals. (drums/shoes etc). Could it be this?

All help appreciated.

D

Brake fluid level low usually brings on the handbrake light. Also some pads have wear sensors which will also throw on the light, so it could be your rear pads if they're getting thin.

Sorry just noticed you said rear is drums/shoes so probably don't have wear sensors. Look for a wire or cable heading into the rear of the brake drum as a giveaway.

Hi Daniel,

The switch may need checking, cleaning or need changing. Remove part of the centre consul around the handbrake lever, held by only one screw.

It could be a case that it needs securing as there is no mention of adjustment.

Also have a look at the brake reservoir warning switch and float.

You said the brake fluid had not been changed, I recently did mine and it made a difference.

After that, there must be a loose connection or short.

Konrad

Turns out that the brake fluid WAS a little low - hence the light only coming on when giving the car some beans.

Anyway - another milestone cleared today

11427436_858727990849576_825632272_n.jpg

Next stop is 200k - then hopefully taking it to the moon.

Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Turns out that the brake fluid WAS a little low - hence the light only coming on when giving the car some beans.

Anyway - another milestone cleared today

11427436_858727990849576_825632272_n.jpg

Next stop is 200k - then hopefully taking it to the moon.

Wish me luck!

Dan,

Have you inspected the rear drums, especially the cylinders for leaks? I did mine and everything was fine. I did change the cylinders in the past.

For me it is an easy job. I stripped, inspected and cleaned the drums, shoes and components.

Keep an eye on the brake fluid level.

After just reading the posts of owners of much newer engines, I think your car can easily reach 200.000 miles. The only luck you need is that it is not involved in a crash!

Just give it the care it deserves.

Konrad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links