Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Bulbs 2012+

vpcca

Hi everyone, Im chris and im new to the whole toyota scene.

I've just inherted a 2012 avensis 2.0 D4D as a company car, coming over from Ford.

Car thus far has been great, some small issues but all cars have them I guess

I need help however with bulb confusion.

Im looking to change the day light running lights and some other bulbs, but keep finding conflicting info on the net

Bulb sites state the sidelight and day running lights are a 501, but they certainly arent, as I pulled one out. look like a 580.

can anyone clarify a list off all the bulbs for front and back, inc licence bulbs

and the biggy... the light strip that runs along the tops of the neadlights. I guess they aint LED from looking at them, looks like one small bulb on the upmost outer edge that lights the whole strip... are these replaceable. i pulled the headlights out but couldnt find a way of assessing them.

Cheers guys/gals

Chris

I have the actual manual in front of me but it doesnt state the bulb codes for some of the bulbs :(

Think the 5W wedge bulbs should be W5W or 501, and the 21W wedge bulbs will be W21W or 582

what trim level is the car?

582 sounds about right. So can the bulb for the led style trim be changed??

It's a TR I think.

www.mycarbulbs.co.uk

It should be in the manual: Certainly listed in my current 2014 one & likewise was in old 2008 one.

Or ask Mr T - phone local garage, quote index number ...

Figured it out. They are 580 dual filaments. The led strip is integrated into the units and cannot be accessed to change the bulbs. If they go it's a warranty issue.

The led strip is integrated into the units and cannot be accessed to change the bulbs.

According to the sales brochure only the top level trim (T Spirit) had "LED front daytime running lights", where the T2, TR and T4 had "daytime running lights".

that's why I asked about trim - on my car I don't think that there are any 3rd party replacement lights other than indicator bulbs.

Mines a 2012 face lift t27. It's a TR and has the top strip.

You can replace the indicators, the drl (sidelight - 580bulb 5/20w) low and high beam and fogs, and reverse light. However the top drl strip (whether it's led or 505) and rear brake and lights cannot be changed. From what I've found out.

Have a better look at the top strip. I've never properly looked at mine but I reckon it's a standard bulb with some clever reflections going on. There was a post a while ago where someone had a DRL not working, IIRC it was a bulb but maybe my memory is duff.

Edit... vpcca says there's a DRL bulb you can change, I reckon that's the one which looks like LED.

To confirm. There's two drl. There's the standard sidelight drl. This is a 580 dual filament 5/20w. It runs as drl and dulls when the dipped beam is switched on. This is replaceable.

The led "style" along the top of the facelift t27s isn't actually led (from what I can see - looks like one bulb and the plastics of the modual make it look like separate lights. But it isn't.). This too is a drl but cannot be accessed to change the bulb. I pulled the headlights out last week to have a look requiring removable of the front bumper!. It looks like a sealed unit and I confirmed this with Mr T who confirmed the led style strip cannot be altered. But the sidelight drl can be. And that's a 580 dual filament.

You can replace the indicators, the drl (sidelight - 580bulb 5/20w) low and high beam and fogs, and reverse light. However the top drl strip (whether it's led or 505) and rear brake and lights cannot be changed. From what I've found out.

Forgot about fogs/reverse but they aren't really bulbs that I would usually consider upgrades for (front indicators I would to get rid of the "fried egg" look replacing with silver coated).

On a T-Spirit/Excel the DRLs are LED & the low & high beam are HID bi-xenon.

I'm intreagued now. I'll need to have a better look at mine some time.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I do have a question about this.

I'm looking to change some of the lights in my Toyota Avensis T27 FL (November 2012) to LED ones.

I don't have OEM xenon headlights so my DRL's (Day Running Lights) are the halogen bulbs (580 / W3X16Q / W21/5W) with Dual Filament.

I'm looking for LED versions of these bulbs, but I haven't found one that should work yet. At least not that I know of.

Does any of you guys have successfully changed their DRL's to LED? And how did you manage with CANbus?

I really would like to have the DRL's more like the colour of the xenon main beams, which are 6000K.

I know there are some replacement halogen bulbs out there which should be more white than standard, but for my taste they are still to much like the original halogen bulbs.

Hope anyone can help me with this one.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 11:48 AM, Konrad C said:

I bought this bulb for my car  - https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/580-Osram-Long-Life-LED-Retrofit-White-12V-7443-W21-5W-Wedge-Bulb.html , but unfortunately not working, it's just a flash when I switch the lights On and nothing else.

Do I need to purchase a different bulb or a Fix Resistor?

Cheers,

Sebastian

They are not 'Canbus' as in the description so might need to change or install a resistor. Try contactng  ABD and see what they say re your car. Hope you get it sorted ok :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a pair of 580 dual filament bulbs from Halfords. The bulb is blue to give it a hid white effect but they didn't work. The top strip (fake led) stopped working too, only the 5w part of the dual filament worked when switched to side/parking and dipped beam. The only difference I could find was the fit , the oem bulbs where much harder to push in and take out , Halfords ones where much easier to put in  obviously cheaper manufacturing , the exposed contact wire was doubled up on the oem bulb, Halford was single.the only other bulbs I've seen (so far)with the doubled up wire are PIAA, twice the price online so I'll get around to them eventually

On 4/12/2017 at 2:32 PM, sebysin said:

I bought this bulb for my car  - https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/580-Osram-Long-Life-LED-Retrofit-White-12V-7443-W21-5W-Wedge-Bulb.html , but unfortunately not working, it's just a flash when I switch the lights On and nothing else.

Do I need to purchase a different bulb or a Fix Resistor?

Cheers,

Sebastian

Oops. It seems that the Avensis DRLs are not compatible with canbus rated LED bulbs! I feel a little guilty as ABD had it in the description, for one of the bulbs

On 4/12/2017 at 3:53 PM, saxo265 said:

They are not 'Canbus' as in the description so might need to change or install a resistor. Try contactng  ABD and see what they say re your car. Hope you get it sorted ok :-)

That is good advice.

It seems the Avensis is wired or the current is very different to other cars, so it will be standard bulbs for now.

• 5 weeks later...

a month later for a reply but here goes , I purchased these bulbs

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-x-FIAT-500-2007-ABARTH-580-7443-W21-5W-T20-DRL-BULBS-WHITE-DAYTIME-RUNNING-/371889909614?hash=item56965daf6e:g:kW0AAOSwfVpYrr-Y

they have a thicker wire (contact point) they're not LED but the have the same white effect

they were a bit of a tight fit into the holder but the oem ones were fairly stiff to take out

the important thing to remember when fitting them is that when you test them to see if they work

you have to put the car in gear and release handbrake.....

as my friend pointed out  they are  "running lights not stationary lights"

(as we've worked this out i'd say LED T20 bulbs should work)

hope this helps