Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pinking

TDR35

My 04 1.3L Yaris has been pinking for a while now, any idea what might be causing this? I don't use supermarket fuel and it doesn't do many miles at present.

Pinking on modern cars is usually an injector fault,if there is no engine management light show

Ing it's probably a mechanical fault possibly possibly a bit of dirt, there are other possibilities but that's where I'd start.

PS. How many miles has it done.

I was just going to ask the same question as above from Neil - how many miles.

Pinking could have something to do with a build up of carbon in the cylinder head, hence miles play a part, as would I think whether the car does/has done lots of short journeys which would allow a build up of carbon more then long blasts on fast A roads or M Ways

I don't have the car with me at the moment, my fiancé has taken it into work to change the oil. He's a mechanic but has only ever worked on Ford's so is not too sure what the problem might be. He did also say about the carbon build up as the car usually only does a few miles here and there. We're taking it on holiday to Wales in September so it will get a good run out then! If I remember correctly it has done approximately 57,000 miles.

Don't all modern cars have anti-knock sensors?

I understood the ECU keeps advancing the timing for maximum economy until 'knock' is detected and then retarding it a little. The sensor can detect 'knock' long before mere mortals.

Auto parts only list an anti knock sensor for 06 on yaris so presumably the 1st generation did without.

Auto parts only list an anti knock sensor for 06 on yaris so presumably the 1st generation did without.

From memory I think it did have one, but it'll only be any good assuming there are no issues with any other components etc.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links