Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Rav4 D4d Noise (engine Howl)

jd gul

My car (Toyota rav4 d4d 2.0 xt4 (2004) manual, developed this noise straight after a service from a mechanic it was perfect before never made a noise. I have tried numerous things in attempt to resolve the issue such as, replacing the alternator and belt, and the power steering belt, none of which have worked, I also recently purchased a used fuel filter housing as I did hear that it's due to the housing (fuel filter cap) by a great man goes by the name of anchorman (don), he kindly installed both filter and housing totally free of charge , I decided to change the fuel filter along with the housing it had a genuine Toyota one last year and that's when the noise started!, when installing the replacement housing I was advised to change the fuel filter (mann filter), the noise started when genuine filter was installed, soon after the housing was installed it made a small noise and the next day after I pumped the fuel filter housing plunger little black button on top it was okay for a day no noise at all, the noise reappeared after a day and half, the noise has totally disappeared on start up now it was far worse before as you can see in the video, it only makes the sound 10-20 seconds after setting off on cold start. It also occurs when warmed up small little howls, my question is now that it's obviously related to fuel flow etc and noise went away for a while when pumped the fuel filter housing plunger, but I must say 80 % of the noise has gone away, its doesn't occur on start-ups no more, just when the car starts moving (intermittently) what can be still triggering it, can it be that the fuel system is dirty etc, ???!!!, all input will be highly appreciated, especially respected mechanics!!!, car mileage currently (126950) thank you very much!.

(Youtube video link for my noise)

Hi there,

Go on to youtube and type in "Toyota rav4 d4d fuel filter phenomenon" and compare it with your problem . you will find lots of post on here about it if you fuel filter howl in to the search engine.

colin

• 4 months later...

Hi thanks for the reply, but my noise is not from the fuel filte4 area it's from the left. I have now also changed the alternator belt and fitted new alternator still no difference noise still there, do you think it can be the hydraulic lifters?.

Hi again,

This noise is quite deceptive, it does seem to come from the alternator area (as it does on mine I have exactly the same problem but I just live with it) if you watch the youtube video I mentioned in the other post you will see that the poster of that video is looking at the alternator area for the problem and nowhere near the fuel filter, but it has been proven to be the fuel filter housing and the modification is quite expensive.

regards colin

I think that's probably the most informative answer I have received!, it's been playing with my head all year happened straight after a service, the mechanicmay have damaged my housing, it's just no one has got it solved but u heard they have improved the part a few times so I'm wondering will it cure it now.

The fuel pump is in the same area as the alternator, so wether the filter housing problem manifests itself as noise in the fuel pump I do not know. Also reading one of the posts on this problem someone had the modified parts fitted and the noise returned again a few months later. on mine it usually happens when is not fully warmed up and the engine revs are low, its been like it for the five years I have owned it and it doesn't really bother me now.

regards colin

I get the same howling noise occasionally. I change the fuel filter every 12 months as part of the service and I've found that it does it more with some filters than others even when they are new. I also take the view that the cost of replacing with modified parts (apparently with no guarantee of a long term fix) isn't worth it. Doesn't seem to affect how the car runs in any way.

Hi, I think there must be a connection between the two then graunch. And hi there, it's just that before I had my rav4 serviced it was absolutely perfect no noise nothing and straight after it developed it, I had the service done quiet some miles away so didn't really go back as you said it doesn't affect t the running of the vehicle itself as it doesn't miss a beat, but it's just embarrassing If you like and it's taking a bit of a toll on me at work everyday putting up with it.

hi there,

As pogle mentions it might be worth trying another fuel filter on it as it happened after a service was carried out, probably one of the cheapest things to try, but make sure its a genuine toyota filter. good luck!!.

kind regards colin

I put everything genuine in the car, so I guess I'll try a cheap aftermarket one?, we are told genuine are the best but not in this case I guess.

Hi mine has does it but know where near as bad as yours but ive just learnt to live with it as it doesnt stop the running of it.

No mate I never noticed it at 1st it's when I was sat warming the engine up one morning I heard it.tried finding the problem but just haven't bothered as it still performs spot on and you can only hear it now and again that's why I never notice it unless I listen for it.

Yh mine performs spot on mechanically too but as u can see my noise is terrible you can hear it from quiet a distance, I want to remedy it at all cost!