Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis Black Smoke And Loss Of Power

A Rao

Hi Guys,

I have just joined the forum. Need help please. I have recently replaced the starter motor. As I was having problem with hot start. Anyway, once I replaced the starter motor. The hot start problem went away and the engine starts fine both hot and cold. The car drove fine for a few hundred miles. But I noticed sudden loss of power while driving up the hill and black smoke coming out of exhaust. Its getting worst as before the car was only losing power driving up the hill and higher gears. Now sometimes losing the power and black smoke comes out even in lower gears. However, the engine starts perfectly. We had to remove the air pipe to put the starter motor on. So I thought may be we did not secure the air pipe properly. Hence, got it checked by the local mechanic but all air and exhaust pipes seem to be fine. No engine light comes on. The mechanic has also carried out diagnostic and no issues found. The mechanic does not what to do next. I can only think of air filter since I haven't changed it for a long time (20000 miles). But have been cleaning (blowing air) the filter and looks fine. Oil and fuel filter changed recently. Can anybody help please.

Has anybody experienced this problem? If you have how did you get it resolved?

Hi Guys,

I have just joined the forum. Need help please. I have recently replaced the starter motor. As I was having problem with hot start. Anyway, once I replaced the starter motor. The hot start problem went away and the engine starts fine both hot and cold. The car drove fine for a few hundred miles. But I noticed sudden loss of power while driving up the hill and black smoke coming out of exhaust. Its getting worst as before the car was only losing power driving up the hill and higher gears. Now sometimes losing the power and black smoke comes out even in lower gears. However, the engine starts perfectly. We had to remove the air pipe to put the starter motor on. So I thought may be we did not secure the air pipe properly. Hence, got it checked by the local mechanic but all air and exhaust pipes seem to be fine. No engine light comes on. The mechanic has also carried out diagnostic and no issues found. The mechanic does not what to do next. I can only think of air filter since I haven't changed it for a long time (20000 miles). But have been cleaning (blowing air) the filter and looks fine. Oil and fuel filter changed recently. Can anybody help please.

Has anybody experienced this problem? If you have how did you get it resolved?

Lots of us have experienced these symptoms with diesel engines due to blocked EGR valve. You didn't mention exactly which model you have do it's difficult for anyone to be more specific, but if it's a d4d blocked EGR would be the first place I'd look.

The EGR is on the front of the d4d with a steel pipe going around to the right and bolted into the cylinder head on a 2003 to 2009 d4d, on the others it may be different though. There are good guides on YouTube that help with cleaning an EGR valve.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hi

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, it is a Toyota Avensis 2004 D4D. I will buy a diesel EGR valve cleaner and get the EGR checked to make sure the valve is operating correctly.

Many Thanks again.

Yours will be on the right hand side of the engine you need to remove the Battery and the air box to get at it right.do a search on here or YouTube for pics and videos to help you a long the lines of how to do it.

I would say egr as I have had this problem, mine used to loose power when it reach operating temperature.

this is a good guide;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/114711-2003-d4d-egr-clean/

have a look at the diagrams below to make sure everything is at its place,

how easy was the starter I might have to do that job in a few weeks, as its struggling to start sometimes.

173732D.png

173735H.png

starter is easy to replace.

I should have done a how to guide.

lol

lazy#!

when you get time, can you do one? it will be appreciated, and once I do the job I will take pictures and put together a proper guide for other members.

I dont have the car here.. However I maybe able to take some picture of a corolla which carries the same engine / running gear.

Hi

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, it is a Toyota Avensis 2004 D4D. I will buy a diesel EGR valve cleaner and get the EGR checked to make sure the valve is operating correctly.

Many Thanks again.

I have a 2004 2.0 d4d as well and Iv cleaned the egr twice in the 3 years Iv had it. Its quite common for soot to block the valve and this causes black smoke, lack of power, poor mpg etc. Its a simple job but very messy. Do a search on the forum. Theres a good guide with brilliant pics on it too.

Hi

The starter job wasn't too bad. You will have to remove the Battery and the air pipe. The starter bolts are right underneath. Do not confuse with the front bolts. Once you have found the right bolts then job done. Somebody helped me anyway!

you can buy a refurbished or used starter from eBay.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Just to give an update, I got the EGR valve checked and it wasn't so bad. We got it cleaned anyway. All air pipes checked as well. But did nothing since the car is still losing power and black smoke occasionally. Particularly, up the hill. The car would not have power to go up the hill and engine dies. Any suggestions what to do next please. The mechanic does not know the fault. Its an old car and do not want to spend too much on it.

thanks

Once you've fixed the problem try adding 200-250ml of low ash mineral 2 stroke to each tank of diesel to stop the egr clogging up in future.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

As I mentioned yesterday, the EGR is cleaned and valve is working correctly. So its not the EGR. It something else which is causing the problem.

Thanks

Try replacing fuel filter/fuel pump had this issue and it solved the problem

I got the service done a few months ago in March 2015. Then changed the fuel filter. so the fuel filter is nearly new. I might try to replace the fuel pump.

thanks

Have you checked your air intake manifold for blockage?

Yes, we have checked air intake, air pipes and injection fuel pump. All seemed to be working fine. No fault shown so we do not know what's wrong with the car. Giving me serious headache!

Cheers

Was the manifold totally clear?.All pipes to injectors tight no leaks?also maf sensor clean or in working order?

I'd try adding some low ash mineral 2 stroke to the diesel and take it for a good run.

Just to add, was the air filter changed during the service? If not it could be causing black smoke and loss of power.

Yeah smoky2004 I've been doing the same on me own motor.theres some difference.also added a tuning box.

Yeah smoky2004 I've been doing the same on me own motor.theres some difference.also added a tuning box.

I've added 2 stroke to every diesel I've owned, never had a problem with the egr, very noticeable difference when driving, less gear changing, smoother idling, etc.

I will change the air filter and clean the airflow meter sensor. Hopefully, will do the trick!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

To update all, I am still having the same problem, when car goes up the hill and sometime even on flat roads the engine dies and black some comes out from the exhaust. The mechanic had looked for different things like leaks, cleaned the EGR valve, new air filter. I have also unplug the airflow meter. Since, I unplug the airflow meter, I have not noticed much difference. But drives slightly better than airflow meter on.

Can anybody help please. I do not know what to do next. I was going to replace the airflow meter than thought there is no point. Because I am still having problems when it is not connected.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links