Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(yet Another) Question About Start/stop

Phil100

Hi All,

My first post got plenty of support so I figured I'd pose another question to you lovely people regarding: the auto start/stop eco feature found on a number of Toyota models but my query relates to a 2009 Auris 1.33 WT-i TR Hatchback 1329cc vehicle.

Essentially, After fitting a completely new Battery and meeting all the other criteria I'm a little disappointed this feature still fails to work. When the clutch is depressed and in neutral the dashboard light does display 'ECO Off', which to me suggests the system knows all the criteria have been met and should turn off but doesn't?!

More detail to query below:

I've read many posts about 2 themes/criteria being needing for this feature to work

1. Ambient temperature- general consensus seems to be above 4c and mixed reviews about it working in under 4c
  2. Electrical load- i.e. feature will not engage with radio, air con activated or if the Battery doesn't have sufficient charge etc.
  • Engine sufficiently warmed up, clutch to be depressed, gear in neutral and stationary for 10+seconds* (other posts seem to vary on this last point)

During my 11 month ownership of the vehicle this feature has never worked (wasn't a feature that swayed our reason for purchase either), and I suspected we had a suspect Battery and this was the likely cause for the feature not to work.

After fitting a completely new battery and meeting all the other criteria I'm a little disappointed this feature still fails to work. When the clutch is depressed and in neutral the dashboard light does display 'ECO Off', which to me suggests the system knows all the criteria have been met and should turn off but doesn't?!

lastly I have checked the feature hasn't been disabled by the switch below the console, I've even tried putting this on to see if there's any differences- NADA!

any thoughts or comments, as I've seen plenty of posts about this feature working on 2009 Auris's and indeed other models :(

First of all the switch that disables the system, only disables the stop/start temporarily - the next time the engine switch is moved to the 'lock' position and then to the 'start' position the stop/start should automatically be re-enabled.

Two possibilities - either the previous owner has had the system disabled in some way, or you have a fault with the stop/start system, in which case I would approach your Toyota dealer.

• Like 1

Can anyone give any commentary around if they've had this issues subsequently resolved via dealer and cost for any works needed? I know a ball park inspection fee for an out of warranty vehicle is around £60- just to have look here in Sussex.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil100

What sort of driving do you do in your Auris? And how many days do you use the car?

I have a 60 reg Yaris TR with the same 1.33 engine which I use as a driving school car 6-7 days a week and my Stop/Start has always worked fine. The car gets a LOT of miles so in that the Battery gets a lot of charging from the alternator - just a thought as low use could mean that your Battery isn't getting the charge to trigger the Stop/Start system, or that something else could be draining it's power, like while it's parked up locked.

On the odd occasion, mine doesn't kick in but after a few miles and another stop, the engine stops with the 'ECO' light illuminated.

Mine is low mileage and doesn't have any issues with the stop/start system - works every time the system is within its parameters.