Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T4 03plate Cruise Control Fitting

zsoltny

Hi,

I've got a 03plate avensis T4. I love it, but I miss the cruise control which is optional extra in this series. Does anyone knows what type of control could I buy and fit? Any suggestions, please?

I don't want to buy the original one...

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks

Have a read through this thread mate its all in there.?What engine do you have.

Hi, I'll read the thread. The engine is 1.8 petrol. I have found a switch

OEM#84632-34011

but I am not sure it will work so I am a bit worried to buy it...

In T4 the cruise control is optional should be everything fitted except switch... I guess.

And I think I need to check the connector on the steering wheel as well...

Were the 1.8 version's not a cabled throttle?I know my old 1 was?

Yes, 1.8 has cabel operated throttle and the ECU doesn't support cruise control. The only way to have cruise control, is to buy an aftermarket cruise control kit (i bought waeco ms50) and i modifyed the original switch to make it work. Waeco's switch is terrible. I can upload some pictures later if ur interested

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk

Hi Henri,

I am interested in your solution.

The reason is I want to fit a cruise control because in T3x, T4 and above it is optional I think it would work.

on T3s is not optional.

What do you think. Does it still effect if the engine is 1.8?

Thanks

If u have a T4 with 1.8 petrol 1ZZ-FE engine, then the only way to have cruise control is installing an aftermarket kit. Only 1AZ–FSE and 1CD–FTV have ECU cruise control, their accelerator pedal is "drive by wire"

OK, there is a lot to do, to get this to work properly.

First the cruise control itself. It comes with complete installing instructions.

wae_ms-50_p003.jpg

After installation under the hood.

IMG_20150720_162438.jpg

IMG_20150720_162450.jpg

3 wires from the blue vacuum servo unit need to go under the dashboard, i found an opening just behind that servo unit.

Then find a good place for electronic module, in my case behind the glovebox, next to ECU.(my Avensis is lefthand drive)

Wiring is easy, just follow instructions.

Will continue in next post (went out for a cigarette or two)

Now comes the hard part (one of them)

My Combination Meter didn`t have a CRUISE light fitted, i wanted that.

So took it apart

IMG_20150609_114055.jpg

IMG_20150609_122400.jpg

IMG_20150609_122233.jpg

IMG_20150609_122456.jpg

As seen on picture above, there is no LED. Used one of my old DRL lights which had turn signal function (they were rubbish) Carved a groove into the white plastic for wires and the LED is just glued into the hole.

Now i have CRUISE light

IMG_20150721_153517.jpg

The next hard part

Cruse switch

Remove the airbag

IMG_20150518_124659.jpg

My clockspring had 6 unused pins.

After removing more things

IMG_20150518_125955.jpg

Install cruise switch

IMG_20150629_165536.jpg

Clockspring connector needs female terminals, really hard to find, they are made by TE Connectivity and part number is

1123343-1

IMG_20150721_115719.jpg

The original switch operates by only two wires, Waeco switch operates by 3 wires. So original toyota switch needed some modifications. I didn`t take any pictures while i changed mine but it looks very similar to this.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

I removed all the resistors, one original cable was for +12V feed the other ON/OFF. Cables for SET, RES and CANCEL i had to add.

After all done

IMG_20150721_120524.jpg

IMG_20150721_123623.jpg

The other side of clock spring (white connector)

IMG_20150518_130953.jpg

I know you have a LOT of questions, like how i connected the original switch to cruise control and etc. This was just a short overwiew, if you want specific details, don`t be afraid to ask.

Cheers!

This is very helpful, thank you. Why did you buy the waeco? It is around £100 and there are some other brands on a cheaper price.

It seems I need to do a lot of work... I am sure it worth.

My engine is 1ZZU but it looks the same...Do you think? ECU not support it?

Thanks for the pictures, help a lot about the work and preparing it.

It's the first time i've heard of 1ZZU, what year was your avensis? We don't have these engines here in Estonia. Does it have a throttle cable?

It is 2003 T4 model, UK. Yes, it has cable, it looks the same as on your pictures. if I search on selling sites, I can find 1.8 petrol with cruise contol fitted. But only T3x, T4, T180, T-spirit. Of course i don't know the engine codes for them.

These cars can have factory cruise fitted(dealers also) by two ways.

1 cable operated gas pedal is changed with drive by wire one, throttle body is changed with electronic one and ecu software changed or used separate control module.

2 like i did.

Are you sure your engine is 1ZZU, i can't find anything about it?

I my V5 the engine number is 1ZZU386538. This is all what I know and I have got a cable running from the pedal to the throttle. Not electric.

Anyway, I bought waeco because i got i cheap 75 EUR. You can buy other brand but make sure that the switch it comes with, is normally open. Otherwise it is quite impossible to make it work with toyota original switch, because it is normally open and it would not operate normally closed cruise system.

Probably easier changing the car with one that has cruise

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

hello henri I have a recipe for you. I have a 2005 avensis 1.6 elegant model. Have you got the opportunity to tell me how to connect the cruise control for this model? Thanks in advance for the information on how to make the cable connections.