Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do You Replace Faulty Cigarette Socket Corolla Vvt-i 2002 T3 Spiri

loz2966

Hi

Sorry, I think I may have confused everyone with my last topic title, I wasn't giving you a solution, but in fact looking for one.

I own a 2002 Corolla 1.6v VVT-I T3 Spirit Manual Shift.

The cigarette 12V Lighter socket has failed and I am trying to remove!

I have worked out how to remove the the Gear Stick Gaitor / Panel and disconnected the 12v wires

But for the life of me I cannot see how to remove the socket from the gaitor /panel if indeed this is possible?

or do I have to replace the how whole gaitor panel?

I've attached pictures of the gaitor panel

Any help or guidance is most appreciated.

post-80040-0-45912100-1438431394_thumb.j

post-80040-0-30037400-1438431428_thumb.j

Interesting one, but nothing mentioned in any of my Toyota manuals on how it comes out.

My thoughts would be like most parts they are held in by tabs that need squeezing inwards to release, but seems the tabs may not be on the rear outside part.

Take a look at this vid, 3 mins in , which might give you some clues .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--UYXcB0bQ

Let us know how its done ..

Finally removed the socket by crushing it with a pair of pliers! (The proverbial hammer did the trick)

But now that I have completely destroyed the socket and discovered that the hole diameter of the socket holder is 25mm

and on eBay all the after market sockets are 27mm, 28mm or 29mm

So unless someone can point me to a socket that will fit, it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and fork out £25 for a compete Fear Panel / Gaitor

• 1 year later...

I realise this is a ~15 month old thread, but did you get anywhere with this loz2966?  I have a similar problem on my T Sport.

If the part isn't available online due to size issues, Then only place would be scrappers or Mr T if not a whole gaiter!!!

Removing it seems simple enough by disconnecting the wiring and pressing the tabs difficultly, probably breaking them in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

A brief update....

You can get the standard one out without breaking.  The part with the light (the smaller 'barrel' on top) clips off (however, one side of the clip did break for me).  Then the main body can be pushed forward (so into the cabin if it was in place) without breaking anything, it's a bit of a squeeze but seemed ok.

For a cheap fix I have replaced with this for £3.20 from eBayhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Cigarette-lighter-PLUG-SOCKET-for-Toyota-Celica-Supra-Yaris-Auris-New-/151264198466 - BUT, it's not perfect.  It is larger, the way I've angled it it just protrudes a bit.  Also, I haven't connected the power to the light as the standard connection on the end of the wire in the car is a little too large (I've left it in case I get a genuine one from a scrappers one day).