Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking To Buy A Yaris 1.3

dins1

Hi all,

We will be viewing a Yaris on Monday. 07 plate 45k 1.3 TR model. Are there any pointers anyone can give me on what common faults, if any to look for or any other tips, thanks.

You could 'tut' at the the amount of stone and debris you find in the shelf in front of each rear wheel.

Ensure your test drive includes motorway driving and if possible a steep hill. I bought this car at Christmas and it is underpowered on motorways and I have problems holding the car on the clutch on steep hills, in heavy traffic. It needs a lot of gas for hill starts as well. The car seems underpowered compared to the Fiesta, my previous car. I don't do much motorway driving but stalling on hills is a problem. I presumed it was something I would overcome as I got used to driving the car but it has not changed since the first few days.

Good luck with your purchase.

Figgis, the 2007 1.3 Yaris devops 87 bhp top speed over 100 mph and 0-62 mph in 11.7 seconds (according to internet search).

How you can say it is underpowered on M-Ways I dont kow - 87bhp is more then useful.

Maybe there is something wrong with your car or you have a carpet rucked up under the accelerator pedal, because, with respect, something is not right with your statement.

• Like 1

Figgis, the 2007 1.3 Yaris devops 87 bhp top speed over 100 mph and 0-62 mph in 11.7 seconds (according to internet search).

How you can say it is underpowered on M-Ways I dont kow - 87bhp is more then useful.

Maybe there is something wrong with your car or you have a carpet rucked up under the accelerator pedal, because, with respect, something is not right with your statement.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my car but I don't think it will be easy to establish this. The Yaris drives beautifully in town except for the steep hill problem and this is only a problem in rush hour traffic. My old Fiesta 1.25 zetec was much faster even when it was old. The Yaris is quieter than the old Fiesta though and is more comfortable. The interior seating and dashboard compartments are also better in the Yaris. I will hold onto it for another while and then I will probably trade in for a Fiesta.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my car but I don't think it will be easy to establish this. The Yaris drives beautifully in town except for the steep hill problem and this is only a problem in rush hour traffic. My old Fiesta 1.25 zetec was much faster even when it was old. The Yaris is quieter than the old Fiesta though and is more comfortable. The interior seating and dashboard compartments are also better in the Yaris. I will hold onto it for another while and then I will probably trade in for a Fiesta.

Two things come to mind here. One is that small cars are getting heavier, mainly because of all the extra equipment - safety, emissions and comfort. Comparing a newish Yaris with an old Fiesta will almost certainly show the Fiesta more 'sprightly'. (But when you hit a tree the Yaris will likely leave you more sprightly than the old Fiesta would.)

The other thing you might check is that you haven't been 'badged' and actually have a 1.0 rather than a 1.33.

Two things come to mind here. One is that small cars are getting heavier, mainly because of all the extra equipment - safety, emissions and comfort. Comparing a newish Yaris with an old Fiesta will almost certainly show the Fiesta more 'sprightly'. (But when you hit a tree the Yaris will likely leave you more sprightly than the old Fiesta would.)

The other thing you might check is that you haven't been 'badged' and actually have a 1.0 rather than a 1.33.

MikeSh, I don't understand the above comment. Are you saying my car is actually a 1.0 and not the 1.33 as sold and on the VIN documentation.

As to the sprightly Fiesta, I often clocked over 90mph on the motorway but not in the past 5 or so years. The first time I drove the Yaris on the motorway, on my own, I thought I was travelling over 80 mph and when I checked the speedo I was just under 70. That is what I based my underpowered comment on. Not very scientific but I'm a driver not an engineer. Because I rarely use the motorway now and then only for a few junctions this does not worry me too much. It is a very comfortable small car and it looks nice as well as being very quiet.

MikeSh, I don't understand the above comment. Are you saying my car is actually a 1.0 and not the 1.33 as sold and on the VIN documentation.

As to the sprightly Fiesta, I often clocked over 90mph on the motorway but not in the past 5 or so years. The first time I drove the Yaris on the motorway, on my own, I thought I was travelling over 80 mph and when I checked the speedo I was just under 70. That is what I based my underpowered comment on. Not very scientific but I'm a driver not an engineer. Because I rarely use the motorway now and then only for a few junctions this does not worry me too much. It is a very comfortable small car and it looks nice as well as being very quiet.

Obviously I don't know the history (or alleged history) of your car, but there have been cases in the past of pre-owned cars being sold as having a larger engine than they have. The one I remember was a 1.3 (Ford I think) badged as a 1.6. I think it's unlikely to be the case for you, but it's something that shouldn't be hard to check and be sure. If the V5/VIN says it's a 1.33 this could happen if the original engine failed and was replaced with a 1.0, maybe from a scrapped car. Checking the engine number is the surest way to go, but I expect someone here can suggest a way to tell the 1.0 from 1.33. (I have a feeling the 1.0 has one less cylinder, but our Yaris is a diesel so I'm not au fait with the petrol engines.)

Regarding the motorway you seem to be saying it feels slow, eg. it is noisier than the Fiesta was. That's not necessarily indicative of poor performance, just different volume or quality of sound/vibration. That could be 'normal' or could be a non-engine issue - eg. missing/loose/defective insulation or seals.

MikeSh

I have all the paperwork from new including full service history so I'm reasonably sure it is a 1.33 TR, I'm not really worried about the top speed as I shall only have short motorway drives. It was just a comment to a prospective owner to check out a I was surprised by how it felt slower than my old Fiesta.

Funny you should mention insulation though. For the first time today I drove with a window open and the car was so much noisier, so I reckon the insulation must be very good. I didn't stall today either so I am either getting used to it or am giving it more gas. Either way I'm keeping it for a good while longer.

Have you let another experienced driver have a go of it ? Obviously they could do with having a longer session in the car before "doing the hill", just letting them get in and approach the hill would be more then a little unfair. Just a thought

I think I will just carry on as I have being doing since I was advised to rev it up on the hill. I had the clutch checked out yesterday and it was working ok. The mechanic told me his sister bought a 2012 Yaris and is not in love with it but for different reasons. I now understand why people change their cars frequently. I may grow to love it if the stalling reduces further.

I hope we have not put off the original poster from buying a Yaris.

The wife and I both have Yaris D-4D cars, thats the diesel 1356cc and they fantastic cars.

• Like 1

Hi dins1, I have a 2008 1.3 (2SZ-FE) and I absolutely love it! First (and not the last) brand new car I've ever got and I never want to trade it in. Drives like a dream, had minimal parts changed (the dealer wanted to replace the water pump on the fourth service though), great on fuel, can cruise all day at low revs - 30mph in 5th gear at ease - then take off when it's 'hammertime'. And mine's never used a drop of oil.

I also have a 2010 1.33 (1NR-FE) and must admit, in comparison with the 1.3, the 1.33 engine feels WEAKER. Although it pulls well, as Figgis says, you really need to rev it on hill starts as it's amazingly easy to stall. Very quiet engine but must be tuned more for fuel economy though I get better fuel figures from the 1.3's MPG readouts, also the 1.3 is 0.2 seconds faster to 62mph in the brochure despite being more powerful.

Hope this helps

Hi dins1, I have a 2008 1.3 (2SZ-FE) and I absolutely love it! First (and not the last) brand new car I've ever got and I never want to trade it in. Drives like a dream, had minimal parts changed (the dealer wanted to replace the water pump on the fourth service though), great on fuel, can cruise all day at low revs - 30mph in 5th gear at ease - then take off when it's 'hammertime'. And mine's never used a drop of oil.

I also have a 2010 1.33 (1NR-FE) and must admit, in comparison with the 1.3, the 1.33 engine feels WEAKER. Although it pulls well, as Figgis says, you really need to rev it on hill starts as it's amazingly easy to stall. Very quiet engine but must be tuned more for fuel economy though I get better fuel figures from the 1.3's MPG readouts, also the 1.3 is 0.2 seconds faster to 62mph in the brochure despite being more powerful.

Hope this helps

Adam C, you have no idea how much your comment helps me. I thought I was the only non Yaris lover 'in the village' - at least it felt like that. I like all about it except the stalling - I hope to get better at revving it - and the fact it seems slower on motorways than my old Fiesta. I never once worried about overtaking with the Fiesta but was wary of doing so in the Yaris after my first overtaking manoeuvre.

Thanks for your input.

Hi all,

We will be viewing a Yaris on Monday. 07 plate 45k 1.3 TR model. Are there any pointers anyone can give me on what common faults, if any to look for or any other tips, thanks.

Hi all,

My wife I are the glad 2nd owners of a silver 2008 (registered Aug 2008) 2 door Toyota Yaris SR manual with 25k. It has the nice rare 15 inch alloys, front fog lights etc.. Bought the car for 4700 and loved the drive of the manual compared to the auto called MMT. It is in very good condition compared to the other cars ive seen, which were more costly. It has the Tom Tom Sat Nav, which the ladies really need, as us blokes can navigate like pigeons.:) I will pick the car up next week after the indy family run (for 52 years) dealer, based in Bucks gives it a once over, M.O.T and taxes it.