Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Intermediate Shaft Question ?

berbick0107

hello,

I've had the knocking / popping noise in steering wheel for about 6 months now so I decided to get it sorted, I fitted a new no1 intermediate shaft and I've still got the knocking noise , I think I've now narrowed it down to a worn knuckle joint on shaft no2 , has anyone else has had the same problem before I go and waste some more of my hard earned cash !!

Thanks

Brent

I have had rav4's in the family and both had a slight knocking/popping sound I just put it down to the backlash never failed an MOT becuse of it, and it was driven at the test because they did not want to stick it on the brake tester,

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2006 petrol XT3 Rav4 (85k miles) about a week ago. I love the car but have noticed this popping/clunking sound sometimes when turning hard left or right, usually when going slow or stationary. It seems to be a common fault with these models after I googled it. Changing the bottom intermediate shaft is apparently the fix (as they have updated the shaft to counter this problem) but I have also seen many people posting on other forums where they themselves take them apart and simply inject grease into the shaft (I can't remember the exact procedure off the top of my head). The DIY solution costs about £15 but getting the shaft replaced at a garage is apparently into the £££s.

Should I take it back to the garage and ask them to fix it? It passed it's MOT only 2 weeks ago so I really doubt they will fix it. This in mind, is it something that could get dangerous if left alone for too long? It's not actually that annoying (yet) but wanted to get some opinions before I decide what to do with it.

Many thanks.

Thanks for replies, I've still got the knocking noise, its now getting worse , going to have to get it sorted looking like a trip to garage needed .

Berbick

From the research I have done over the last few days I have come to this conclusion:

The intermediate shaft problem is an epidemic on Rav4s but Toyota won't issue a recall. It doesn't seem dangerous but does apparently only ever get worse.

I have seen lots of people on forums saying that they paid hundreds of £££ to get the shaft replaced (as it was out of Toyotas short warranty period) and the noise came back soon after.

I have also seen lots of people performing a fix themselves using a needle to inject lubricant into the bearings in the shaft. Judging by my google finds, this is a cheap, effective, and quick fix. I have seen people say they have done this fix after years of clunking and the clunking hasn't come back in over a year...and if it does then it just needs this quick fix again.

I am no mechanic, but the procedure doesn't look too difficult. I might find a mechanically minded friend and see if we can have a go at it. A guy has posted this video about it but you will find heaps of people mention the needle injection fix on the internet. Worth looking into and could save you hundreds of pounds which might not even work after you have coughed up for a replacement shaft.

(no idea why it gets all religious at the end...I don't think that has much to do with the problem!)

EDIT: Also another thread where solutions have been discussed ( http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/88177-steering-shaft-clunk-possible-fix.html ), but essentially they are just taking the shaft apart to lubricate it when the guy in the video I just posted shows it can be done without taking it apart. If there is anyone with mechanics-know-how reading this then please could you watch the video and let us know if it looks like something worth a shot. I just got the car and reluctant to cough up money to replace the shaft if it doesn't even guarantee a fix.

FIXED!!

I managed to get a syringe from my local pharmacy and I already had some wet tough-weather chain lube so gave the fix (from the video I posted above) a go...and hey presto! No more clunking after I had worked it in with a few big turns of the wheel.

So 10 mins of your time and £3 for some lube can likely fix the clunking in your Rav4 and save you hundreds of £££. Incredible.

If it comes back then just do it again.