Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 White Smoke

Starlight Taxis

Aah. I had a company car Peugeot 406 I was running on about 25% veg oil for a short period (I had to pay for the fuel). However the veg oil wasn't much cheaper than diesel and it was really sluggish and the mpg went down on this mix so I knocked it on the head. Dunno how much heating oil is... probably quite cheap I would imaging if bought in bulk?

Kerosene here in North of Ireland is cheap at the minute think around 40 pence

Sorry I think we're getting of the prescribed topic here somewhat, but have you ever heard of LPG fumigation for diesel? I understand it works a bit like nitrous oxide, you have an LPG tank fitted to the car and it adds LPG to the air intake (downstream from filter I would imagine). Allegedly you get better performance and mpg but there aren't many places that do it for diesel and it's mainly done on lorries, although it can be done on cars.

...so I read!...

No never heard of it though always thought why was it never done!wonder what the mpg would be with that added?

I was more interested in the extra power! LOL

• 1 year later...

Hi Starlight did you ever get to the bottom of this ? my t180 is doing exactly the same thing. I think the hg might be on the way out, but so far a bit of water here and there seems to be enough to do the job on that front... The smoke though is pretty embarrassing.

Hi there, yes eventually got to the bottom of it and it was the head gasket!  Very strange though as it wasn't really pressurising and didn't seem to be losing that much water, just kept smoking (white) really bad, we were using it daily as a taxi so it was doing a lot of mileage, jus kept going and going but smoking all the time.  One day the HG gave up completely and we sold it for spares or repair.  If yours is doing the same sounds like the HG could be on its way out, but difficult to say how long it will last for.  I tried all the head gasket sealant additives etc. and nothing worked.  I think it was a common problem on the T180 recognised by Toyota, they were even fixing the problem under warranty beyond the warranty mileage.  But mine was on about 180k I think when it happened so I had no chance of Toyota honouring that.  My advice would be to sell it as quickly as possible.  I loved my T180 but in hindsight a 170bhp Passat would have been better!  The T180 NEVER felt like 180bhp!  It was sluggish and returned rubbish mpg from the day I got it (around 30k miles I think it was on when I bought it) and everyone else who owned one had the same complaint.

• Like 1

Cheers mate . I'm pretty resigned to the HG being on the way out, just trying to figure out if I can stop the smoking in the meantime . . . 

• 1 year later...

I have got avensis diesel 2010 withe smoke unburnt diesel as I accelerate coming out  after 4 month I just fixed it too many different mechanics and even main dealer and I have spent over £2000 pounds I have changed too many parts I changed Dpf &the 5 injector & main injectors dpf pressuor sensor but none of them was the problem  I got good experience if you want to know how to fix your car I tell you how to do it 

Thanks but I scrapped this car YEARS ago LOL!  Cheers anyway!

3 hours ago, Saeid said:

I have got avensis diesel 2010 withe smoke unburnt diesel as I accelerate coming out  after 4 month I just fixed it too many different mechanics and even main dealer and I have spent over £2000 pounds I have changed too many parts I changed Dpf &the 5 injector & main injectors dpf pressuor sensor but none of them was the problem  I got good experience if you want to know how to fix your car I tell you how to do it 

If you have a fix for the problem then please share it, there’s so many cars with the same fault including myself 

Yeah get the head gasket done or replace the whole engine...  Or scrap it like I did!

8 hours ago, Saeid said:

Please share the fix

• 2 years later...

Had similar issues,with t180,pumping out white/grey smoke once warm,and doing more than 2000rpm,fault said fifth injector,so disconnected it and all good,but lost traction control and lights on dash,after getting feed up with ignoring lights,replaced 5th inj with gen new unit,no change,then got her a brand new magnetti marelli egr,and bingo reconnected fifth inj,no lights,no smoke,and ready for a car show,well nearly,still get the odd puff of white smoke on overun,accelaration,think problem not helped by a egr blanking plate from previous owner,hope this helps someone,all i can say is get the car as back to standard as poss before wasting time trying to diagnose faults,regular maintenance,and oe parts.Regards

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links