Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anybody Going For A '65 Registration?

TomdeGuerre

It's getting well into August and the '65 registrations are only a few weeks away. I was looking at the Road Record paper yesterday and there's some really attractive deals going with Dacia, Vauxhall and Nissan but haven't seen too much from Toyota, not in the paper anyway. Might go for a nosey down the dealers later on just to kick the tyres and see what's what. Don't think I would go for this 1.2 TS engine though, that's too new.

Only thing I have seen is 0% interest on some models but they all seem to be linked to PCP's which is of little interest to me.

Only thing I have seen is 0% interest on some models but they all seem to be linked to PCP's which is of little interest to me.

yep, that's about what I found out today and I'm not too keen on this PCP stuff either although maybe I need to change my thinking. Salesman I saw briefly didn't want to do anything other than charge list price, same for any extras. I heard another salesman telling a customer No, sir, we can't give you any more for your car, not against a new one. It doesn't work that way, we're very limited for that. I'll bet some of the other ones are busy telling the guys who want to buy used one the same.

On the way back we were arguing about the heater setting (she wanted hot and I wanted cold) and I think the dual heat settings are only on the Excel. I had it on my last Auris SR and really miss it. Men and women are from different planets.

• Like 1

According to a recent study females have lower metabolic rates than males and find air conditioning in buildings chilly - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11780469/Women-shiver-at-work-in-sexist-air-conditioning.html

Suppose the same applies to cars ....

Fortunately I don't get the heat setting problem as I have it on the the Avensis.

I did have a quick look at the Motorpoint website earlier, they do have some delivery or low mileage Auris' available at what seem reasonable prices. Assuming they are UK cars the warranty shouldn't be a problem.

We decided not to wait for the 65 plate. Replaced our three year old Hyundai i20 with one of the new model i20's (1.4SE) on 31st July. Saved £2825 against list and got £100 less than top book for our old i20. Bought from our local Hyundai dealer.

Reasonable spec - cruise, hill assist control, cornering headlight system, lane departure warning system, bluetooth, etc. Three miles on the clock.

2 years ago I had my car (not a Toyota) stolen from my garage.

The insurance company paid me out very quickly.

I said to the Salesman at my local Toyota dealership "how much discount for cash and no PX"?

He said "Nothing, but I can give you a discount on GAP and a set of mats" !!!

I said "I am giving you £18000 cash and I am getting a set of mats and discount on GAP which I don't want".

He said "Toyota don't give discounts for cash any more".

I am now looking to sell the Toyota,I was talking to another dealer (not Toyota) and I was really put off by the barrage of pushy offers.

Do you want Paint Protection,NO,do you want GAP,NO do you want Extended warranty,NO.

I was made to feel like a real tightwad for not saying "yes".

He said its "company policy" to promote these "offers".

I did not purchase the car.

This takes me back to purchasing a computer from a certain chain of shops,the salesman was more interested in selling an insurance policy than a computer,I walked out of there as well.

• Like 1

So what's GAP? Is that gap insurance to cover the cars value if it's stolen or written off?

Computers, lol, I bought a desktop computer (a Fujitsu with the i3 processor which I'm still using) from the now-defunct Comet when they were clearing out their stock. It looked brand new, sealedup in the box, 2 years mfg guarantee and everything humky dory. Later on when I tried to register it with Fujitsu I found it had already been registered 8 months previously so it must have been a customer returned unit. I went back to the shop but they gave me some waffle about them not allowed to take returns, I'd have to write to Comet. I raised a dispute with my credit card MasterCard and filled out all the paperwork they sent me but they gave me the biggest load of cop out excuses and I wound up having to pay the full whack for it.

• Like 1

Whitewagon, I went to Motorpoint a few years ago with a friend of mine who was looking for a diesel Zafira. They had a good stock and I don't think there was any problems with warranty but oh dear the trade in prices, they were cut to the bone and then a bit further for good measure. Don't know whether an owner would be better flogging his to We Buy Any Car or some of those guys and then going along to the likes of Motorpoint but they certainly seem to keep a good stock.

GAP is exactly what you describe.

You can pick it up a lot cheaper online than the main dealer charges.

It would seem that cash is no longer king in car dealerships.

Have you ever used the dealers online valuation?

I have tried it a couple of time,only to be contacted and told that they want to actually SEE the car.

Rather make the online valuation rather pointless.

Have you ever used the dealers online valuation?

I have tried it a couple of time,only to be contacted and told that they want to actually SEE the car.

Rather make the online valuation rather pointless.

I had a quote from We Buy Any Car for my last Auris, they offered £5,340 for it while the garage only offered £5,250 but I heard they (WBAC) start off b charging a £75 admin fee then they go over the car with a bone comb abd ding you for every mark etc so I wound up just going with the dealer.

Thats what I heard.

I asked them to value my Auris,they came back with £8900.

They sent me a email 3 days later say my car has INCREASED in value to £9200.

Then they sent me another message say GREAT NEWS for the next 24 hours your car is worth £9500 !!!!!

Their is something a bit odd about all this,don't you think.

One can often buy GAP Insurance for half the cost a dealer would charge. We've used ALA the last three times, and I just used them again for our new Hyundai. If you change your car before the ALA GAP insurance policy expires, they will work out the cost of the balance remaining and deduct that from the new policy. Also one can get a discount through Toyota Owners Club - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150128-discount-on-gap-insurance/

The reason cash is no longer king I think is because most dealers get a commission for arranging finance, whether it is PCP or HP.

Currently, unless the dealer can offer something something like 0% finance, personal loans with some banks are very competitive, and these aren't tied to the car. For example First Direct and M&S Bank (both operated by HSBC) are offering personal loans at 3.6% APR for loans over £7,000.

I would have thought walking into a dealer with £18000 of readies and no px would warrant more than a couple of bits of carpet.

Or am I just showing my age :-))

No part exchange for the dealer means that potentially they have no profit to make on a car they would sell as a used car. Profit margins on new vehicles are already tight, and with no finance to arrange, that is another potential income loss - ie no commission from the finance company. Unless the purchase is at the time of year when the manufacturer gives the dealer a registration bonus or discounts a number of vehicles to increase the registrations for that month, discounts for cash may be something the dealer isn't interested in as there is no money in the sale for them.

Some manufacturers (Toyota, Honda, Kia, etc) are particularly stingy on discounts.

With our recent purchase of a Hyundai, the dealer had a number of vehicles discounted to increase registrations and they passed the discount onto customers - hence the saving.

That's it settled then, next time I go into a dealers I'm taking my tablet with me and PM Frosty with details of the deal offered, see if I can get some pointers for driving the bas... sorry, salesmen down a bit...

MG I'm with you, 18 grand is a lot of money by anybody's reckoning. I come from a different era too, my first car cost me two pounds ten shillings (£2.50) but my wage as an apprentice was only £5 a week and the average price of a house around here was less the £3,000 So I feel totally alienated with the modern prices- heck, I've just got used to cars being in the teens of thousands and now they've moved into the twenties and thirties of thousands. I don't pretend to know about how a modern dealership's finances work, it's certainly not as if they order 20 new Toyotas and the manager sits down and writes Toyota a cheque for them then immediately starts desperately trying to flog them.

I had a company car latterly for about 15 years and driving a new plate soon loses all its appeal. Prior to that I had to work my way up the banger market fixing up what I bought and finding myself with a lot of 'pals' who needed theirs fixed as well. coming from that background, the idea of leasing a car where you put a deposit down, pay a monthly sum for, say, three years then have nothing left at the end of it and start all over again just doesn't appeal.

I'm not far behind you. First salary was the £17 16s a week.

When we bought Nissan's in the late 80s/early 90's Nissan dealers could only hold onto stock of new cars for three months, and if they weren't sold, had to register them and sell as pre-registered.

We've been offered PCP's in the past but always declined - preferring to have a vehicle at the end of the personal loan or hire purchase period or whatever, which we can either keep for a while longer without a balloon payment, p/x or whatever, when we want to.

Remember back in 1996 we were looking to change our three year old Nissan Sunny for an Almera. All the finance manager at our local dealer would talk about was a PCP, and when we said we would use either HP or bank personal loan, he flatly refused to give a part exchange price on our Sunny. So we walked and bought a Toyota Corolla using a personal loan - from a Toyota dealer which was part of the same group (Appleyards).

I would have thought walking into a dealer with £18000 of readies and no px would warrant more than a couple of bits of carpet.

Or am I just showing my age :-))

Why would it?

Dealer makes a small profit on the "metal" and he wants your P/EX to sell on and make another profit

Insurance add ons and finance commission make up the bottom line for the dealer, despite what people say, cash is not king

Another reason you are offered all these add ons is for FCA compliance, there is a shed load of actions a dealer needs to take to ensure you cannot come back looking for compensation for mis selling, a sad fact of life but since the banks went belly up the world has changed, it is a paperwork jungle when you sell finance products, you have to offer them in order to be compliant

Mybe it was because the cash was in used notes and in a Tesco carrierbag that put the dealer off

Mybe it was because the cash was in used notes and in a Tesco carrierbag that put the dealer off

You may well laugh :lol:

Anything over €15,000 MAY have to be reported if suspicious :D:

We used a Waitrose 'bag for life' which immediately allayed any suspicions .......

• Like 1

A bag for life,,,,,LOL, I thought that's what I got with my marriage licence.

I better sign off quick in case the wife sees what I'm typ

It was a Sainsbury's bag,that might have been my mistake.

One area where the modern car is better is rust protection. I remember when cars were really bad for it, British Leyland was probably the worst. Frosty reminded me when he mentioned Appleyards who were British Leyland in this area, I bought a new petrol tank for a Mini from them for a car that was lucky if it was 4 years old. The new tank came with a thin coat of black paint that was already flaking off and bare metal showing. I stripped the whole lot off and the steel had never been phosphate treated or protected in any way so all I could do was to rub it all down then get it primered and painted. God knows what it was like on the inside. It was the same story with subframes, door skins, floor panels etc, no wonder we lost the industry.

I reckon I must have done ok. The dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse - gave me a trade in value commensurate with a car without damage although the rear bumper is split and needs replacing + there are bad scratch marks along one door and dents. Also knocked 1K off list when I asked him to. Plus £750 off deposit for a PCP sign up which I can cancel after 3 months as PCP is of no interest to me. 0% interest.

They seem desperate to sign me up for Supagard + GAP + Scratch cover but it won't be happening.

Anyone know of a good polish to apply as soon as I leave the dealers next month.?

The car is a Hybrid Excel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links