Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drastic Loss Of Power, T180

KMcD

It appears that I may be approaching one of those times,where nothing has gone wrong with my car for ages and suddenly numerous problems are arising at the same time. First it was the air conditioning some weeks ago, now the turbo seems to be faulty.

It's a Avensis Estate, T180 manual with 80,000 miles up. I have always loved the strong, linear power delivery from this car, it makes towing a doddle and overtaking just a matter of planning it properly. I moved house about six months ago and since then the car has been used less frequently, sometimes sitting in the garage the whole week. I took it out yesterday and was surprised when it struggled up a hill that it normally doesn't even notice. Foot on the floor, but no power.

So I thought today I would take it out for a decent run, see if that sorted it. Now I would say that I seldom use the car for short runs. If it goes out, it's usually for a good few miles. Prior to yesterday, the engine would pull strongly from nowhere, as low as 1200-1500 revs and it would pick up cleanly, and it wasn't uncommon not to need to rev past 2500 before taking the next gear. Suddenly though, as soon as the engine is under load, ie third gear, there is absolutely no pull until it gets to about 2200 revs, when it will pick up, but you would have to rev it to the point where it will be doing over 2200 revs in the next higher gear before selecting it, or it just bogs down again. If you can keep it in this higher rev range it will attain speed, but has no power.

If there's any Turbo guru's out there, I'd really appreciate some thoughts. I would also just mention that I clean the EGR regularly.

Your describing the symptoms of the MAF/MAP sensor.

I am sure there is a way of testing, and it's a lot cheaper than replacing the turbo!

You may not get the EML illuminate. If you do then get a diagnostic done.

Check pipes for damage or leaks.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Konrad you were right, thank you. The MAP sensor was at fault. A very expensive item at £200+ for a small sensor. Got one 2nd hand for £40 and the readings were back to normal after a re-set but the problem remained. Turned out there was a second fault with another component, something not actuating as it had seized. Once that was freed off it is now back to full power and pulling cleanly again.

• Like 1

Konrad you were right, thank you. The MAP sensor was at fault. A very expensive item at £200+ for a small sensor. Got one 2nd hand for £40 and the readings were back to normal after a re-set but the problem remained. Turned out there was a second fault with another component, something not actuating as it had seized. Once that was freed off it is now back to full power and pulling cleanly again.

what was the other component?

egr springs to mind but that's been covered?

boost control for wastegate - but that would overboost?

all I can think of is variable vane turbo thingamybob

or

handbrake lol

• Like 1

The wastegate was mentioned but I can't recall exactly in what context, whether it was that which was seized, or something acting on it. It wasn't a big job, they only charged me £36 each time it was in. Thinking about it, that reflects well on the garage, Charlie Taylor's on Standard Way in Northallerton. They could have told me anything and charged accordingly, so I'll definitely use them again.

An update. The car ran fine when I brought it home on Wednesday, and again on Thursday but it then sat until Sunday when it came to taking the dogs out. Same problem as previous, same symptoms, same driving experience. Got to my destination and parking up just pressed the accelerator to show about 3,500 revs for about twenty-thirty seconds and switched it off. Came back a few hours later, set off, again same problem, which then cleared and the engine began to pull with power again. So where I was only confused before, I'm totally baffled now.............. :g: