Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Alternator Cost!

AlanUK

Hi all,

To save the millage on my 18mth D4D Avensis I took our second car the 51 plate Avensis hatch to Norwich at the weekend about 500 mile round trip and unfortunately the Alternator packed up on the M3.

RAC came out and took me to one of their approved garages and I think I got stung at £263.30 for a replacement Remy Alternator (fitted).

I know we are at the mercy of garages during breakdown but did I get well stung on the replacement cost?

Cheers

Type your registration into europarts and look at the prices then work out their labour charge

• Like 1

Thanks Frank, I didn't know if anybody knew how long it should take to fit one?

Hello, no you didnt get stung, the alternator is approx £150-£200 and to fit you have to take one of the driveshafts off, its a pain, just out of interest...did you drive an distance with the alternator warning light (red battery) lit? ,

thanks

and is the car a diesel or petrol?

thanks again, answer would very much be appreciated to help with my problem with my avensis..thanks again,

A reconditioned unit can go for as little as £55, depending on where one looks. That, is with a minimum of a years warranty. Usually, its just blown transistors and that, believe me, only costs a few pounds to replace.

Why buy a new alternator when your vehicles alternator can be re-vamped for a lot less, and still run as long as a brand new one.

My brothers Vauxhall Viva GT (yes that is old) kept blowing alternators due to the extreme power consumption of the rally lights and so on. Costs him about £2 to replace the 'burnt' transistors

• Like 1

Hi Lola,

Thanks for your reply, personally i don't repair cars and most certainly couldn't have changed transistors on the side of the M3 - I think that could pick up points on licence.

Hi davidarb,

The Avensis in question was a petrol version, the car is very up together and I didn't notice the Battery light on until it was too late - i.e. already experiencing problems.

The guy from RAC said a car could normally travel around 80/90 miles without an alternator whilst fully draining a Battery.

the fact is I had to get it fixed whilst on journey because of timescales and would expect to pay 30% more than normal, I know for a fact it only took 45 minutes to do because I was stood waiting.

Replacing the alternator is not a big job and should'nt take that long at 45 mins he didn't rush but you where not ripped off for a new alternator. I would think no more about it you are only torturing your self for nothing.

Hi folks, seems like I started something over the alternator business. If it is possible to get home on a defunct alternator, one is able to locate used second hand parts. For example, my Avensis alternator blew, the cost of a Toyota replacement in the region of £300 plus the fitting of it.

Well, on a petrol avensis it is very easy to replace the unit oneself. Do remember to remove the Battery terminal NEGATIVE first before doing any work. I was quoted from £40 upwards for labour charges.

Remove Battery terminal, 2 bolts (14 mm socket) - 1 top and 1 bottom of alternator - and 1 nut (10mm socket) on the electric leads, plus one connector (remove with care as not to break the housing, squeeze to remove), plus loosening off the belt tension which is NOT a nut but part of the front wheel housing that LOOKS like a nut (pull in clockwise motion with a decent size 19mm spanner). With the belt off, bolts and nuts removed - slide new to vehicle part in, refit the alternator top and bottom bolts, slacken off the 'tension' nut clockwise and slip the belt on. Connect the terminals to the alternator and connect the Battery terminal. Job done is less than 30 minutes. Good thing to check the belt for wear and tear and it would be a good time to replace it approx £18. Second hand alternator in full working condition £50 odd, new belt £18, plus half an hours work. BY THE WAY, do make a NOTE, rough drawing of how the belt is seated before removing it if you are replacing it. Having a new belt that HAS to fit the right way is one thing, not knowing how it fits is another. Use a torch to check you have drawn the belt sequence correctly or you will suffer ... For what it is worth (a load of money but costs very little), one can obtain a Haynes workshop book on the vehicle through eBay or Amazon for a few pounds.

Warning, do not attempt a job unless you are certain you can complete it

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links