Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie With The Usual Questions!

ChrisRuffell

Hi everyone! Been a few years since I've been on here (used to own a corolla)

I've got myself a 2004 1.3 Yaris t spirit and so far think it's brilliant. The car has covered just over 85k, it is very clean and tidy but has no official service history.... The couple I bought it from claim they have always done it themselves. The car runs great so I'm guessing they have taken some care of it but just to be sure I'm going to do my own service this week..

Questions!

Which oil?

Which spark plugs?

Any recommendation on filters?

And anything I should look for or avoid??

I was going to buy all Bosch parts but I remember with my Corolla being told that NGK plugs are better for jap cars.

All and any advice please !post-104344-0-82711400-1439229276_thumb.

Welcome back.

Oil - 5W-30 either API SM or SN.

With the car having no official service history and just the previous owners saying they have done it themselves... do you all think its worth putting some wynns (or similar) engine oil flush in before I do the oil change??

I used to be a sales rep selling engine flush products and always had mixed reviews from garages I sold to about if you should use flush or not. Some chucked it in on every service, others claimed it was dangerous and could cause damage...

worth it or not?????

With the car having no official service history and just the previous owners saying they have done it themselves... do you all think its worth putting some wynns (or similar) engine oil flush in before I do the oil change??

I used to be a sales rep selling engine flush products and always had mixed reviews from garages I sold to about if you should use flush or not. Some chucked it in on every service, others claimed it was dangerous and could cause damage...

worth it or not?????

Most definitely not! I've seen the aftermath first hand of failed additives!

You're better off doing an oil change, and then another within 2-3k miles to give it a double clean out if you're that concerned.

well oil change is done! I didnt use any oil flush in the end.. the outside of the old oil filter was rusty! The oil was nasty black like it had been in a diesel :/

seems to be puuuuurrrrinng along now though so fingers crossed any previous neglect has not done any major lasting damage