Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica ST/XT coupe

Carlgolsby

Does anyone out there own a Celica ST/XT coupe? (the last rwd model made from 81 to 85). I used to have one but haven't seen any on the road for years, thought I might see some at the JAE but there were none:(

You mean the RA61 model ? the one where the headlamps flipped up

I haven't seen any for about 5yrs but there were plenty of earlier Celica's (TA23's RA/TA40 's) at JAE

yeah that's the one, maybe they've all rusted away! mine was an '83 two door ST and it was rare on the roads then, lots of filler though ;)

don't know if that model's regarded as a classic worth restoring

There are 1 or 2 Celica Supra's (MA61) knocking about,there was a couple of them at JAE

• 1 month later...

Yes, i have one and it's been zeebarted from new and is in pretty good nick and requires the minimal of attention to restore! If you are interested and are an enthusiast gives us a call on 01968 674229.

We also had our Celica Supra featured in What Car Magazine (BMS 680Y) for covering 212,000 miles with no breakdowns and a very low cost per mile etc.

However our 1990 Supra has covered the same mileage but has undergone an £8,000 overhaul (respray, engine, and suspension).

Hi all, new member like to join in with all the chat, have owned both the cars you speak of over the years, infact the 2.8 supra (MA61) was my first ever toyota, that was over 10 year ago, also had the early and later face lift version of the XT (RA61), like you say not many about due to the old rust bug:(

I'd love to have one of those again, but my Sera is doing well at keeping me out of pocket for the foreseeable future (not that there's anything wrong with it Ð it's just the stuff I want to do to it! ;))

I've just come back from a week in Edinburgh too!

When I had my old Celica I wanted to put in the Supra engine and interior like the American GT-S model. I'ts a real shame we don't have the same choice of models as they do in Japan. :(

When I had mine it had done 180,000 miles and was still going strong on its original engine, pity the bodywork wasn't as hard wearing.

• 8 months later...

You mean like this Carl....

cs_offside.jpg

If only that engine hadn't gone :( :( :(

At least the local fire brigade were happy !

As i belong to several clubs, i come across celica's up for sale . The 'Toyota Enthusiasts Club' magazine, is a good place to find them, so if your after one , drop me an Email :D

I had one as well...loved it...great car. Mine was an 83 ST liftback with an XT Badge for some reason.. bought it in 1989 when there was a few still about on the roads...

Most of them have gone now.. the shape was still great in the late eighties/early nineties but ive seen some at shows etc recently and the shape hasnt aged well.

From what i remember there was some at !Removed! last year. I dont really think it was a good enough car to be called a classic, not like its predecessor.

The celica-supra was a much better improvement on the shape, and still looks good now (i had one of these as well :) ) Id def consider them a classic.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. It is a 1990 ST with the original engine and transmission. It just turned 200000 miles today. I am driving it 120 miles round trip to work every day. I am the original owner. Let me know what you think. sawy5065@bellsouth.net B) 1990 Celica

However our 1990 Supra has covered the same mileage but has undergone an £8,000 overhaul (respray, engine, and suspension).

:eek: :eek: spits coffee everywhere :eek::eek:

Im sorry, did you say £8000? on a 1990 mk3?? It must be worth all of £2000 and you spent £8000 doing it up?

Youre either

a: exaggerating

b: having it goldplated

c: an eccentric member of the aristocracy

d: :wacko: completely insane

e: a bonafide 'i'll only trust toyota to do it' misguided soul.

Engine, suspension, respray... £3000, and even then id think twice.. explain yourself you mad fool..

Yes I said 200000 Miles. My wife got this car for her 16th birthday and I have taken care of it sence. I change the oil every 3000 and balance and rotate the tires. Don't think that it has not had anything replaced cause it has. I have replaced multiple things alt., distruibutor+wires, half shaft, belts and hoses, and coils for the airconditioner, but the body, engine, and transmission are the orginal. It has had one new pant job at the dealor and will be getting a new one in the future. I would not think twice about buying another TOYOTA in the future. I am looking at the Sequoias now but will continue to drive the Celica as long as I will get me there. Good things (TOYOTA) are built to last with a little TLC. :thumbsup:

sorry red, didnt mean you.. :D I meant i couldnt believe Jonathan spending £8000 on doing a mk3 up when it'll only be worth £2000 at the end of it.

Hey Redltrs, I looked at your pics in the gallery and that's a great looking car :thumbsup: we don't see many of the two-door models in the UK as officially we only got the liftback version. :(

• 8 months later...

I have a Celica XT Coupe 1985 model in silver with 70000 miles on clock(genuine). I have considered selling it, as I think I am too old now to be sporty.! It is in lovely condition, and gets admiring looks in the summer(the car not me).

No it isn't that one. Mine is the XT with the chopped back, American style and the long boot. I believe that not many were imported into this country. I will try to post picture of it if I can sort out how to do it, cos I'm new to computer technology.

• 3 years later...

hi i have a 82 celica xt 106000km motor never been opened car still orig exept mags im in south africa and its left hand drive

n755810035_384706_6148.jpg

HI does anyone know how many of these ra61 where manufactured , mine has no rust still oe and a pleasure to drive thnks .

• 2 weeks later...

Thousands of RA61's were built. I think the UK got at least 500 alone. Worldwide i think we are talking in the region of at least 10000+

Your car looks good btw.

23057 production cars were made between August 1981 and July 1985 on two assembly lines, of which 18322 at the Tahara plant and 4735 at the Tsutsumi plant.

Cars built at Tahara have a frame number starting with 00, cars built at Tsutsumi starting with 60, e.g. 0000231 was built at Tahara in October 1981 and 6000231 was built at Tsutsumi in December 1981 .

39 pre-production cars were made in March 1981 at the Tahara plant.

These numbers only covers the RA61 chassis'.

YMH.