Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help-toyota 1998 Avensis Oversteer At High Speed&'floating&#39

wren111

Hey-I'm new:)-Hope this is the right section. Ok...

My 1998 avensis's steering feels really loose when turning bends, in particular, when turning left over 50 mph on a downhill curve on the motorway(it's now started doing it when turning right on a bend too).Downhill driving at high speed gives the car a floating like sensation as if it's not gripping surface(tyres seem ok). Also,when pulling in to a lane on left, and to a lesser extent right, on motorway at 50 mph and above, it feels like the cars going to swing right into the next lane or the backend will turn.Esp in wet weather.! In addition,when i go over an uneven surface on the motorway for example at 50 mph and above ,the steering is moving in my hand to an excess and the car jolts too much from left to right

I've shown it to the mechanic he said it's nothing, just because the cars old.I'm not convinced 'it's nothing'. I need the car for work, but this is starting to create anxiety when i drive.I have to drive over that awful M62 to Leeds at time & down to London alot too. I'm normally fairly confident at driving. Any sensible ideas on what it might be? I was researching and from what i worked out it could be the suspension? I don't know much about car mechanics, so any help world be great. Thanks.

It could be a variety of things and take some effort to identify. Problems like these are normally due to worn components as opposed to alignment issues. Especially if it's started out of the blue. They may manifest themselves in unusual tyre wear - particularly on the outside band of one or both front tyres. If you're not mechanically minded I would call into a reputable tyre dealer which has the latest wireless alignment equipment. Explain your problem and ask for a diagnosis. They should identify worn bushes - track rod ends - dampers and springs within minutes (if that's the problem) These form part of the pre- checks on a four wheel alignment costing around £40. Your mechanic won't have this kit and would need to take any of his customer's cars to an outlet like this anyway.

This is type of kit necessary:-

http://www.k1tyres.co.uk/3d-wheel-alignment.php

Try swapping the tyres front left to back right, and front right to back left, and see if it makes any difference. I've had two Toyota's with strange steering symptoms which both related to tyres.

Try swapping the tyres front left to back right, and front right to back left, and see if it makes any difference. I've had two Toyota's with strange steering symptoms which both related to tyres.

You should not change the direction of rotation of tyres!

Try swapping the tyres front left to back right, and front right to back left

You should not change the direction of rotation of tyres!

The owners manual for my Avensis disagrees with you. It recommends you rotate your tyres every 6000 miles. Their diagram shows the rear right swapping to front left, and the rear left swapping to front right. Granted it does show the front right going onto rear right tho, and similarly the front left going onto rear left.

I see the OP has also raised this on at least two other forums ie batauto.com and cargurus.com and received replies

http://www.batauto.com/threads/car-steering-feels-loose-when-turning-bends-at-high-speed.13598/

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-c-10147_ds676419

steering rack pinion / inner rack tracks.

Turn the car off and wobble the steering wheel..

rock it alittle if the tyres are slow to respond.. or your hear a click before the move the above is your issue.

cant diagnose without a visual or test drive

get a 2nd opinion or a pre mot check done to give you piece of mind something isnt going to go majorly wrong when your driving at motorway speeds

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies guys. I really appreciate it. I think i will take it to another mechanic and get a 2nd opinion. I'll let you know how it goes and what the issue was. It might help others on these type of sites.

• 2 weeks later...

steering rack pinion / inner rack tracks.

Turn the car off and wobble the steering wheel..

rock it alittle if the tyres are slow to respond.. or your hear a click before the move the above is your issue.

This..

Since I have the same car as you, and the mechanic has checked everything okay (pending a second opinion from another mechanic), how old are the tyres? If they are at pressures of around 32 psi, then you must have an alignment issue. Remember the car has 4 wheel tracking adjustment. The internal structure may have degraded so the tyres look externally, but weak internally!

Another problem could be the suspension bushes, if the mechanic has missed that. Also get the mechanic to check the rear subframe mounting points!

This may sound weird, but are the rear brakes dragging? I say this because you say the rear trying to steer like pulling the handbrake.

If there is play in the rear bearings you need to source replacements, and I know a breakers online that will have them.

Lets hope the second opinion finds the problem.

For the benefit of others, I suggested to Doug via PM reply to look at the tyres since the suspension checked okay by the first mechanic. A second opinion is being sort to confirm the suspension is fine.

When I first had my car, it had 4 different tyres, and the car was unpredictable in wet and slippery conditions. The car would understeer turning one way, then over steer turning the other way! Then a rear had internal structure problem which made it sound like a wheel bearing fault. The tyre was getting old.

That is why I only replace with new tyres and have the same type on each axle or all round.

The most basic tyre checks like tread wear and pressures could make the difference.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Update:Long story short-- I took the car to an MOT and like Konrad said..they said the tyres had bad wear and tear and were causing the car to feel 'unbalanced..anyway..-it failed and i've ended up buying a new car.

Not sure what to do with the old car now. I've left it parked in a carpark type place adjacent to some flats in Halifax, where i brought my new car from. I drove back in my new car.Hope the SORN is ok being parked there.I'm guessing it still counts as off road.

I was looking at scrapping it, but they gave me a quote of £25! Does that sound reasonable to you guys, who have more know;edge in this area? They told me that it was because China had started selling metal and Chinese women were buying it something to that effect....!? Don't have a clue what they are on about.

It has no mot or tax now, but it runs really well and is still very quite , with no juddering. It failed on rusty brake pipes, needs 2 new tyres and he put an advisory that the sills be sorted out soon as they were rusted.

I'm not sure if anyone would buy it now, but 25 pounds sounds crap. (trying my hardest to not think of the emotional side of my old car being scrapped :( )

Might get more for it at an auction? Bit sad if it's running okay aside from the brake pipes and new tyres tho'!

Might get more for it at an auction? Bit sad if it's running okay aside from the brake pipes and new tyres tho'!

yes, might try that. I know,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links