Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Cleaning Proble

North-Wales#1

Hi all,

I have a 2005 Toyota Avensis 2.0 diesel. It was having problems when warm with juddering when below 2000rpm. I took off and cleaned the EGR following tutorials on here and YouTube. Now the juddering after 20 miles or so has completely stopped, which is great.

However, I'm now having power loss going up hill. If I go fast enough I can get up I. 2nd gear. It otherwise the car really struggles. This has only been happening since I cleaned the EGR! It's immediate too unlike before (I live on a hill). I'm really not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Just to note, the day after I cleaned the EGR I had a coolant leak from it but that hasn't reoccurred.

Also the car was serviced in April replacing; Air filter, Oil filter, gasket drain plug etc.

No idea what to do next.

I'm a competent DIYer but lack the strength for anything too heavy being a woman! It took me 2 hours to get the EGR off and 15minutes to get it all back on.

I've looked at blanking off the EGR but just not sure.

I was having similar problems. Think I have just got it fixed. I replaced the suction control valve on the injector pump. Car was still losing power up hills and it was suggested here to clean the electrical connections on the map sensor. When I went to do this I seen a wee pipe wasn't connected to the bottom of the sensor. Simple thing but stopped the car from pulling. Also check pipes for air leaks and all are attached post-145795-14396548254_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

so to remove egr you would of had to remove top of airbox, did you plug the electrical connector back in for the maf sensor???

and did you plug in the electrical connector in for the egr valve,

I didn't unplug any electrical connections except for the EGR connection. I did remove the air box though. I'm sorry to be stupid but what and where is the MAF sensor?

I assume you didn't break any of the pins in the electric connections on the EGR?

Ok so I looked it up and have just been out to check and the electrical sensor is still connected to the Maf.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier, before I cleaned EGR on starting engine I had a load of smoke coming out of exhaust. This has now stopped after the clean.

I assume you didn't break any of the pins in the electric connections on the EGR?

Nope, pins intact.

do you have any warning lights on the dash?

Yes I followed guide above, I have VSC, TRC OFF and engine management warning lights. Code P0380 comes up on my machine but I already know one of the glow plugs needs replacing but that doesn't affect the running of the car. I've only had this car since May, it was my Dad's car before so I know it's been looked after. Mot passed fine no advisories.

This is my first diesel too, I had a Peugeot petrol before.

I would plug it now, it may have a different code than to glow plug.

Just to say also, a mechanic lives next door and he basically scoffed at me when I said I was cleaning the EGR to fix power issues and said that isn't the problem! I know he''s wrong as part of the issue is fixed.

I would plug it now, it may have a different code than to glow plug.

I shall go check it now.

Ok, no new codes, the P0380 comes up twice once with a P at the end.

can you check the pipe circled in red is connected and all the small vacuum pipes are connected circled in yellow and is the the air intake pipe for the turbo still connected.

blocked egrs do cause power loss, if your confident that you have not missed anything... I would take it for a run and give it a good blast just to clear any crap out.

there is nothing really else that I can think off.

is the air filter in the right way?

post-125194-0-57616800-1439662348_thumb.

I know you said that you had your car serviced in April but i noticed that you didn't mention the diesel filter, would you know when or if it has been renewed.

This green thing pictured was unplugged? Would that cause an issue?post-149834-0-33209400-1439663235_thumb.

I have no idea, I'll have to ask my Dad but none of the paperwork I have says so.

Air filter checked. It says 'up' on the top of it so I'm assuming it's in correctly.

This green thing pictured was unplugged? Would that cause an issue?attachicon.gifimage.jpg

yes it would, take it for a test drive and see

Do you think my coolant leak was coming from there? Do I need to top it up?

North Wales if your coolant is low top it up if i'm having to tell you this i'am not sure that you should have been cleaning your egr. Also did you connect your two pipes near the top up the right way?

• Like 1

Top of the EGR? Yes they are definitely on correctly. I mapped most things out and took photos as I was going along, so I'd know where everything came from. My partner put the engine cover back on and said he noticed the green think but just thought it was supposed to be there! Taken for a test run and it's better but still not quite right uphill.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links