Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spark Plug Change

majeeka1976

Hi

I wonder if some of you knowledgable guys can help.

I have a Auris 2008 1.6 TR and I have just changed the Iridium spark plugs as its at 60000 miles. When changing them I noted there was oil on the threads near the bottom and a tiny bit at the base of the old plugs . It's got a full service history with Toyota is this normal? I'm worried now there's serious engine problems ie bore wear or seals. the car drives absolutely fine.

Any help is appreciated

Damian

No, oil on the spark plugs isn't normal. Mine have always been dry. It's normal to have black burns but not oil.

That's what I had thought it wasn't normal, but the plug tips are bone dry it's just the threads that are a bit wet. I had wondered whether it had come down the tube from the top and collected in the bottom of the wells. Ah well it not worth spending loads of money investigating of it runs fine guess I'll live with it until it goes bang.

• 4 years later...

It's ok to have oil on the tail of spark plugs.  Usually it is caused by spilled oil during oil change next to the filling hole.  Otherwise,  it's from rubber seal leak on the spark plugs hole with valve cover gasket.  But only in 10 years or older engine . That rubber gasket becomes brittle after about 10 years on my 2001 Corolla.  But still really good in my 2006 Prius because hybrid runs cooler in the engine compartment

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

what is the spark plug gap on toyota auris 1.6 petrol engine

There is no need to adjust the gaps. 

If you will be buying Toyota recommended plugs, then its Denso SC16HR11.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bashir said:

what is the spark plug gap on toyota auris 1.6 petrol engine

If you only intend to check the gap, it should be 1.1mm or 44 thousands of an inch.

SC20HR11 is discontinued, and succeeded by SC16HR11, and it already comes with default gap of 1.1 as required.

2 hours ago, furtula said:

There is no need to adjust the gaps. 

If you will be buying Toyota recommended plugs, then its Denso SC16HR11.

Maybe no need to actually adjust the gap but it is wise to check, with care. There's no 100% guarantee it will be correct, even using the recommended.o.e.m. sparkplugs.

I changed my Yaris's plugs recently with o.e.m. and only one was gapped correctly out of the box.

• Like 2

I can understand changing them as recommended in the manual but why would you if everything is OK?

I am still running my original ones and car is at 100k and almost 13 years old and ticking along fine. They probably have a tolerance and should be OK for atleast 125k miles I reckon

8 hours ago, ziauris said:

I can understand changing them as recommended in the manual but why would you if everything is OK?

I am still running my original ones and car is at 100k and almost 13 years old and ticking along fine. They probably have a tolerance and should be OK for atleast 125k miles I reckon

I changed mine recently at 110k, i'm not sure, but i think they were original. 

With new ones car sounds nicer, more even, bit better response, and less rough sound. 

The plugs are not that expensive, and they should last up to 100k, so why not give your car something nice.

There was a recent topic recently regarding a Yaris i think, original plugs, i think 130k or so, central electrode got loose, fell out and destroyed the cylinder, no compression, engine was scrapped, so it's not like they are indestructible.

Central electrode can last very long time until something  like above mentioned happened, usually the side electrode goes bad first here on plugs over 60+ miles, adjustment is not recommended also because of the cracks possible and same thing happens to the engine. Spark plugs is not a difficult job and they are not that expensive, don’t see the reason the skip that service. Timing belts in general lasts double of what manufacturers recommend intervals but if you want risk it . 

6 hours ago, furtula said:

I changed mine recently at 110k, i'm not sure, but i think they were original. 

With new ones car sounds nicer, more even, bit better response, and less rough sound. 

The plugs are not that expensive, and they should last up to 100k, so why not give your car something nice.

There was a recent topic recently regarding a Yaris i think, original plugs, i think 130k or so, central electrode got loose, fell out and destroyed the cylinder, no compression, engine was scrapped, so it's not like they are indestructible.

In USA the spark plus service interval is 120k  (Required Under Terms Of Emission Control Warranty.) so they should last at least that much here too. 

https://www.toyota.com/owners/parts-service/maintenance-schedule?garagePrefVehicle=0&garageModelName=Corolla&garageYearValue=2008&addToVehicleList=false&remRecentVehicle=false&csrfToken=15802152628986635044170520557666

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links