Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight

Peter0603986

can the main headlight be changed to something cooler i can't hind any

Hello Peter - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Define 'cooler'.

Thing with the iQ is it's a pretty low production vehicle so it's simply not worth after-market companies making things like that for them.

Once they invest in the design, tooling and production costs they need to sell thousands to make back their outlay and it simply won't happen with the iQ. The numbers out there are low and the number of owners who are into modifying their cars is a tiny fraction of that number. If you have something as common as a Corsa, Golf, Fiesta etc. you can get after-market light fittings for a pretty good price which also drives down the price of the genuine lights.

A friend of mine broke a 2012 Corsa rear light and I thought a replacement was going to be hundreds from Vauxhaul. Looked on eBay and found someone selling the genuine replacements after he'd changed them to after-market ones and I got one for £25, Bargain.

There is however an iQ page on facebook called "IQ-OwnersClub.com Scion IQ | Toyota IQ" and there is a post on there from someone who took their light fittings apart and painted the inside black. Not sure what it does to the light performance and not sure I like them that much but shows what can be done. Apparently there was a model of iQ in France that had darkened lights as well but they will be no use in the UK as the beam pattern will be the other way on the road.

Craig.

post-116364-0-57201000-1439969954_thumb.

post-116364-0-07423100-1439970098_thumb.

Thing with the iQ is it's a pretty low production vehicle so it's simply not worth after-market companies making things like that for them.

Once they invest in the design, tooling and production costs they need to sell thousands to make back their outlay and it simply won't happen with the iQ. The numbers out there are low and the number of owners who are into modifying their cars is a tiny fraction of that number. If you have something as common as a Corsa, Golf, Fiesta etc. you can get after-market light fittings for a pretty good price which also drives down the price of the genuine lights.

A friend of mine broke a 2012 Corsa rear light and I thought a replacement was going to be hundreds from Vauxhaul. Looked on ebay and found someone selling the genuine replacements after he'd changed them to after-market ones and I got one for £25, Bargain.

There is however an iQ page on facebook called "IQ-OwnersClub.com Scion IQ | Toyota IQ" and there is a post on there from someone who took their light fittings apart and painted the inside black. Not sure what it does to the light performance and not sure I like them that much but shows what can be done. Apparently there was a model of iQ in France that had darkened lights as well but they will be no use in the UK as the beam pattern will be the other way on the road.

Craig.

Looks like they did a good paint job though. I wonder how they got everything to stick back together -and not fall apart on the road? I think they look good.

I've seen the black effect done on Smart car headlights, a lot of the Brabus models have it so naturally people have copied the effect.

Getting the smart ones apart is a case of heating up the glue/seal and putting it back together is the same, the heat softens the glue and it becomes tacky again, but if that didn't work you could use something like Sikaflex marine adhesive, that stuff sticks anything and it will not come apart!

Not seen it done on an IQ yet but i'm sure it's only a matter of time!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links