Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6 Years And 165.000 Km Without Maintanance

davidgilmour

I own an IQ for 6 years now. I never took my car to the garage for maintanance.

I only changed the frontwheel tyres twice (after 80K and 165K), the frontbrakes (165K) and two front lamps (145K). Total costs about 320 pound (440 euros). The car is using some oil, let's say 1 liter in 15,000 km atm.

I saved more than 2,600 euros on regular maintanance so far. Toyota asked me to take my car every 15.000 km to the garade, i.e. 11 times. I took it 0 times.

The car has not let me down a single time. It starts every time. It still runs on all original parts! The back tyres, the back brakes, the original Battery, the front brake discs. Everything except the front tyres, brake pads and lamps i mentioned.

This car is super reliable!

• Like 1

Have you not even done an oil and filter change in all that time?

Nope, none, living on the edge :-)

The engine is running perfectly fine.

I think you're very brave! haha.

Do you plan on keeping the car until it dies?

Chris

iQ² in black ☆ red and white leather ☆ sunroof ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome handles and exhaust

Nope, none, living on the edge :-)

The engine is running perfectly fine.

.... but using some oil.

Yes, I plan to keep the car until it dies. I am very happy if it will last 10 years for 280,000 km.

and yes it uses oil. But guess what. Toyota says that an engine is faulty under warranty if it uses 1 liter oil every 700 miles/1000 km.

So 1 liter in 15k is very very nice. I had a car that used 1 liter every 3k.

• Like 1

I don't think that you are very brave......I think you are foolish to think that you can abuse your engine for six years without changing oil and filter

I think that you have been lucky

It is just good luck that your engine has not let loose after the abuse you have given it........You should be ashamed to admit such neglect of your car! :(

• Like 1

I don't think that you are very brave......I think you are foolish to think that you can abuse your engine for six years without changing oil and filter

It is just good luck that your engine has not let loose after the abuse you have given it........You should be ashamed to admit such neglect of your car! :(

Before i had a VW Golf that I drove 350,000 km without changing oil/filter. And a Peugeut 206 for 200,000 km as well.

Strange that they still kept driving without any engine problems whatsoever. I must be a very lucky guy.....

• Like 1

Even if I didn't want to have the full servicing done I would still have the oil & filter changed and the air filter they don't cost that much to replace. You are luck as you say, but I wouldn't want to chance it.

Suppose that if your engine is using 1 litre (correct spelling) every 15,000km, you're effectively changing the oil every 45,000km.

Just glad that, from a safety viewpoint, I will never be getting into your car ........

• Like 2

Before i had a VW Golf that I drove 350,000 km without changing oil/filter. And a Peugeut 206 for 200,000 km as well.

Strange that they still kept driving without any engine problems whatsoever. I must be a very lucky guy.....

Without servicing you are neglecting the running components of your cars to the point of making them dangerous and possibly even unroadworthy........This may invalidate your insurance as most insurance policies require that the car is kept in serviceable condition

• Like 2

About the safety. In holland (where i live) a new car has to go to a safetytest after 4 years, 6 years, 8 years. After that every year. If there are safety aspects that are not good you need to fix them. If there are aspects that have to be done within a few months they write it on your paper as well.

Guess what. My toyota iq past the test after 4 years flawlessly. And last week after 6 years as well. So my car is safe fo drive for the next 2 years! Hurray!

• Like 1

I think this shows just how reliable modern cars are. I will stick to the service schedule myself, though I do note that when my IQ goes in for its annual service the oil on the dipstick is not that black. My wife's car, on the other hand, has a variable service interval and tells you when it wants a service. I book it in when it says "service due in 30 days" for exactly 30 days time (or slightly before if that day is inconvenient). This means for that car usually there is 18 months between oil changes and I do note that the oil on the dipstick does look very black just before the service.

In general the way it works I believe is that if you do not change the oil and filter then first the filter will become blocked. This then brings into action a bypass valve so that the oil is not filtered at all. The oil will become more and more abrasive and corrosive to the car and the engine will wear out more quickly. The cost of a new engine will outweigh the cost of quite a few oil and filter changes.

I can report similar tyre wear. My 5.6 year old IQ3 is up to 46 thousand miles now and is still on the original back tyres with plenty of tread left. I have changed the front ones twice at services in December whenever the tread depth nears 3mm - I am keen that the front tyres be ready for the winter.

• Like 1

How in depth are these safety tests? To trust that, and to be knowingly not changing oil/filters, you would need to be satisfied that they are thoroughly looking into your engine's wear and tear over that period.

Just couldn't ever do that myself; I'd eventually wind up scared to drive the car.

I part exchanged a 14 year old Yaris I owned for just over 4 years when I bought my iQ, and I always went to the expense of having a full service with a reputable garage for it, just because I'd rather have the peace of mind of a roadworthy car for the year.

Best of luck with it!

Regards,

Nicola

• Like 1

In general the way it works I believe is that if you do not change the oil and filter then first the filter will become blocked. This then brings into action a bypass valve so that the oil is not filtered at all. The oil will become more and more abrasive and corrosive to the car and the engine will wear out more quickly. The cost of a new engine will outweigh the cost of quite a few oil and filter changes.

My engine will hold for the next 4 years, no problem. Then it will be 10 years old, 280.000 km. value will be no more than 1.000 euros. Not worth spending any money more than 500 euros on repairs (tyres, brakes,exhaust).
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I agree with the lucky, foolish and dangerous comments. I also think recommended service intervals based on time rather than mileage are excessive. A good investment at minimal cost would be an oil filter and some spark plugs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bbrucez said:

I agree with the lucky, foolish and dangerous comments. I also think recommended service intervals based on time rather than mileage are excessive. A good investment at minimal cost would be an oil filter and some spark plugs.

Well so far luck is still me , the car is 6.5 years old now and we just hit 180,000 KILOMETERS this week! With still all the original parts (except for front brakes/front tyres). 

Even the back tyres and brakes are original and going strong! 200,000 here we come!

• Like 1

When your luck runs out on a cold wet night in the middle of nowhere, I doubt you'll get much sympathy so you need to be brave!

However, your posts are informative regarding how long components might last, although I suspect your engine life will be lower than average.

Couldn't you have gotten another 500 kliks out of the front tyres & brakes?

• Like 2

Why does it need a flush? The engine is in a great condition. I drive 200 kilomters when I go to work and back. All is fine.

• Like 1

We're wasting our breath / keystrokes.

Let him wreck his engine running with unfiltered lubrication for the sake of minimal expenditure.

He could be winding us all up of course!

• Like 4

I also posted on a german forum and even though there are some unkind people there too a lot of them show respect for toyota for making such a good car. I agree with that, my next car will be a toyota again! http://www.iq-board.de/toyota-iq-allgemein/4-jahre-und-120-000-km-ohne-pflege-t2854.html

• 3 weeks later...

Can i presume every car owned by Davidgilmour has gone straight to the scrap yard after these huge distances? It would not be fair to pass these cars on to anyone else. If most of the journeys are on medium medium or fast roads, and not much in stop/start traffic, the engine will not suffer too badly. That means rattling noise from the moving parts.

Imagine what the internals look like, the oil galleries, oil and air filter condition, plus the quality of the oil. Is there sludge? Compare his car with a car of a similar age. Then a back to back driving of the cars, comparing fuel economy and engine performance.  

Not many people would buy a second car with very high mileage/kilometres. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Can i presume every car owned by Davidgilmour has gone straight to the scrap yard after these huge distances? .

Hi, the last 3 cars I owned are a bmw 316i ( sold for 2,000 euros 12 years old, 270.000 km), a peugeot 206cc (sold for 4,000 euros 7 years old 195.000 km). 

I will try to drive my IQ for at least 10 years (6,5 years old now, 180.000 km).

i hope it will last that long and have 250.000km without any maintanance. Then I will sell it for 1,000 euros. 

Is this with the 1.0 (1kr-fe) and 5-speed gearbox?
If so - considering the age of your car, it has the old type of manifold/catalytic converter with the "bad" egr-valve placement. Has this ever given you any trouble, or are you still running with the stock one?

From a economic perspective, not servicing your car almost seem to make more sense.. Mechanical sympathy keeps me from doing this myself :)

Here is a Yaris in norway with 300.000km and no service: https://translate.google.no/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.side3.no%2Fmotor%2Fjostein-har-kjrt-300000-km--og-har-aldri-vrt-pa-service%2F8502758.html&edit-text=&act=url

I still think your Iq's mileage is quite impressive, keep us updated on your adventure.