Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Gushing Sound From Behind Dashboard

Toyota_Auris_Hybrid

Hi guys,

I have a 2010 toyota Auris Hybrid, latley we have been having some bad weather, and was wondering if anyone was also having the same problem or was it just me.

When it rained here in london very heavily, i was sitting in my car and i could hear the water comming down and behind the dashboard around the passenger footwell, and channeling outwards, although no water came into the car which was a relief, but it sounded like the heater matrix was pushing the water around the system, should there not be something there to obsorb the noise so that it cannot be heard again?

Is this normal for the Auris Hybrid.

My car is different, but I have always heard dripping behind the dashboard/bulkhead area when the car is stationary, engine off and all quiet.

It is the drain channels and I thinks the water runs off components. This is worse in heavy rain.

When I changed my scuttle cover a while back, I clean the area out. It was not not bad, and not blocked. I had a Cavalier a decade ago, and the single scuttle drain rubber tube in the engine compartment was blocked. This cause the water to pool into the cabin and short the electric windows. When I discovered the blockage, and cleared the tube, a least a couple of litres of water poured out!

So long as the drainage is working then, don't worry.

The refrigerant for the air con can sometimes be heard in many cars as it squirts into the evaporator behind the dash. That can be likened to a whooshing or gushing kind of noise.

hi mooly

its not the aircon gas going around this was rain water and very heavy, i thought it could a design fault with toyota as they dont test there cars in such freak weather like we had a few weeks ago.. i could hear hear it as clear as day light... the engine was off and the entire car was off...

As far as I'm aware all manufacturers test pre-production vehicles in extremes of weather, temperatures, etc - eg Death Valley in the US, etc - to ensure they can continue to operate across a variety of conditions.

I have 2011 1:6 tr.

Exactly same thing happens in mine after heavy rain,assume its just diverting the water away to drain holes and outside. Never appears in the car,so that's a plus