Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Problem Or Something Else?...

lestermester

Hi, I wonder if you good people can help me...

I've got an Avensis Verso. This morning it would not start (engine wouldn't turn over).

I suspected the Battery (12V Battery, nothing special) might be flat.

I put the multimeter on it...meter reading 10.44V

XV9sMOO.jpg

Then I jump-started the Avensis from another car.

The Avensis engine then started to turn over OK. I disconnected the jump leads and took another reading...meter reading 14.17V

5DBoEUe.jpg

Questions:

1. Is 10.44V low for a Battery when the engine is off?

2. Is 14.17V OK for a battery when the engine is on?

Took it for a 10min drive after that.

If it doesn't start tomorrow, what can I conclude about what or where the problem is?

I shall give an update tomorrow.

Many Thanks in advance.

10.44V is very low for a 12V Battery. 14.17V is a good voltage with the engine running showing that the alternator is working correctly. Chances are the Battery is goosed. That's the normal way of things, they don't last forever. If after a thorough charging or a good long drive the voltage is low again then think about changing it. Also try a drop test on the Battery. Put the voltmeter in a position so you can see it when trying to start the car. Turn the key and watch the meter: if it drops to anywhere near 9V it has probably had it.

• Like 1

I noticed the Battery can be topped up with distilled water.

Have you checked the electrolite levels in each of the cells? I had this a few years ago, and the Battery is still going well.

• Like 2

UPDATE:

Car wouldn't start again this morning.

Checked the voltage on the Battery...8.56V

So I think a new Battery is needed.

Where to buy it from? Do Halfords over-charge (excuse the pun!!!) ?

Thanks for your help.

Check prices at eurocarparts. Personally I'd avoid the cheapest brand and go for something decent.

• Like 1

I noticed the battery can be topped up with distilled water.

Have you checked the electrolite levels in each of the cells? I had this a few years ago, and the battery is still going well.

Hi Konrad,

Could you tell this from the photos?

I've not checked the electrolyte levels. Is there normally a marker on the side of the Battery?

I'll take a look at the water levels. Topping up and recharging might extend the life a bit, but I reckon the Battery is at least 5 years old.

Thanks for the suggestion

If it was me and my Battery was 5 years old and letting me down I would just replace it because they never let you down when you have time to deal with it. They let you down when you need to get somewhere - and back again. Price up a quality Battery from a few places and remember to include the return price offered by places like Euro Car Parts. Only a few quid but, hey, it will pay for a pint when the job is finished.

• Like 1

I noticed the battery can be topped up with distilled water.

Have you checked the electrolite levels in each of the cells? I had this a few years ago, and the battery is still going well.

Hi Konrad,

Could you tell this from the photos?

I've not checked the electrolyte levels. Is there normally a marker on the side of the Battery?

I'll take a look at the water levels. Topping up and recharging might extend the life a bit, but I reckon the Battery is at least 5 years old.

Thanks for the suggestion

I spotted the 6 inlet/vent ports partially shown at the bottom of both photos. Your Battery needs maintenance since it is not a sealed version.

Use a suitable size coin to open each of the ports and look at the level of the electrolyte. It should be above the plates but below the port opening by at least a couple of centimetres. The electrolyte should show a slight indentation when it is the correct level. Over filling will mean the liquid will splash through the vents, when the car is in motion. Don't want that. This is why maintenance free sealed batteries are popular.

Here is a link on battery maintenance: http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Car-Battery-Water-Levels

http://www.evilution.co.uk/Servicing/car_battery_maintenance.htm

My battery is over 7 years old, and I did suffer low voltage about 5 years back when I neglected checking the electrolyte levels about 4 years ago. The alarm went off and the car would not start. Got the car started. After checking the battery and topping up, the battery revived by the time I came home after work. Still going strong with regular checks.

• Like 1

There are six cells in a 12v car Battery each producing 2.1v it's sounds to me like it's dropped a cell and is in need of a fresh one ... even when a battery's real low . If there's nothing wrong with the cells you sold have a volt reading of 12 or very close to it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why is nothing a straightforward job?

Got a new Battery...I started to remove the old Battery...disconnected the terminals. Then when I tried to undo the nut on the Battery retaining rod (circled below), the nut sheared off!!! Now the rod is too short and it's useless for securing the battery.

Any suggestions on how to secure/hold the new battery in place?

whTLdAx.jpg

Hi, just go to a Toyota dealer and order a new rod and nut from the spares/parts dep't.

Regards.

Hi, just go to a Toyota dealer and order a new rod and nut from the spares/parts dep't.

Regards.

Very sensible idea. Will do. Thanks

• Like 1

In the end I bought a universal fitting rod from a local shop. Had to cut and bend it to size. Yes, I need to put that bracket more towards the middle.

Thanks for your help and advice.

post-31938-0-74697700-1441529810_thumb.j

Yes, I need to put that bracket more towards the middle.

In the meantime make sure it CAN'T touch the poz terminal or it will short the Battery and could cause a fire.

• Like 2

Yes, I need to put that bracket more towards the middle.

In the meantime make sure it CAN'T touch the poz terminal or it will short the Battery and could cause a fire.

Thanks for pointing this out. That's exactly why sharing opinions on here is important.

Why is nothing a straightforward job?

Got a new battery...I started to remove the old battery...disconnected the terminals. Then when I tried to undo the nut on the battery retaining rod (circled below), the nut sheared off!!! Now the rod is too short and it's useless for securing the battery.

Any suggestions on how to secure/hold the new battery in place?

whTLdAx.jpg

This has happened to me a few times :( So I have started to put anti seize compound around threads.

Toyota seemed to have them in stock and where only a couple of quid.

741192C.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links