Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Extended Warranty

helmar

Hi has anyone any ideas on the possible cost of taking out a two year extended warranty on my 2008

Mk2 Prius 1.5 with a mileage of 30000mls.

Also are the extended warranties costs worth the money?

Thanks in anticipation. Helmar.

Think most Toyota dealers have recently had an offer on extended warranties - 2 years for the price of 1 (see example - https://www.inchcapetoyota.co.uk/offers/servicing-offers/extended-warranty-offer/ ).

Don't know whether the offer is still on - may be worth enquiring at your local dealer. Under an extended warranty, servicing has to be done via the Toyota dealer network during the warranty extension, as Block Exemption regulations only apply to new car warranties. A Toyota extended warranty may be renewed up to the vehicle's 10th birthday.

Terms and conditions - https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/warranty/extended-warranty.json

It also includes Toyota Roadside Assistance (breakdown cover) for the duration of the warranty.

My cars' initial 5 year warranty expired recently; rather surprised that neither my dealer nor Toyota have contacted me at all to invite me to extend it. If I didn't read this forum I wouldn't have known this option existed, although probably wouldn't have taken it anyway as only cover 6-7K miles per annum since retiring.

There is a cheaper, low mileage option that provides cover for up to 10,000 miles per annum

• Like 2

And the Hybrid Health Check is free if you get the car serviced by Toyota. That covers the expensive HV Battery.

There is a cheaper, low mileage option that provides cover for up to 10,000 miles per annum

Any idea how much cheaper FB? Although, as my warranty expired 3 months ago don't suppose I'd be eligible anyway (as continuity broken)? Car has 100% Toyota service record & HHC though.

you can take out a Toyota extended warranty with a gap.

Under the 2-for-1 offer I took out the 2 year/10000ml p.a. extended warranty for my Avensis (so up until 2019) this year for £516. This includes 2 years of Toyota Assistance that would have cost me £145 anyway.

• Like 1

I don't know the price difference between the two warranty options.

• Like 1

I had a few Toyota extended warranties with my second Gen 1 Prius which I had for 9 years/163k (the Gen 1 Prius 5 year warranty ran out at 60k miles).

* I would never have another Toyota extended warranty - they used some underhand tricks like saying a faulty a/c compressor (engine driven on the Gen 1) that was investigated just before one warranty ended and the renewal started wasn't covered because the fault was reported before the CURRENT warranty started, even though it was continuously covered by a Toyota branded extended warranty - Toyota Customer Services eventually persuaded them to relent.

They also rejected claims for rusty brake discs even though at the time Toyota were routinely replacing them under the original warranty,

I would have loved to have gone the the County Court with that one because I had copies of other owners' dealer receipts showing the warranty work and the advertising and contract for their "manufacturer's equivalent" cover and some very haughty claims for it's comprehensiveness!

Almost to my dismay, Toyota themselves paid after after spending over six months failing to force their own warranty provider to do so!

* I wrote that some time ago, but now might at least consider one if the price is right and I still have my Gen 3 when it's 5 years old (April 2017), but I'll look closely at the likes of Warranty Direct too, canvassing experiences from members of this and other groups.

I did at least break even with the cost of the warranties and the value of the Club Toyota/AA cover and repairs they eventually paid for.

I ruled out the 3rd party warranty companies at the time because they excluded the HV Battery and the longevity of these was becoming clear but still had some uncertainty (and a recon Battery then was still £2½k plus labour - though that had halved since the very early days). With the Toyota Battery warranty being extendable separately until the car is potentially 11 years old, that issue no longer matters so much.

you can take out a Toyota extended warranty with a gap.

Under the 2-for-1 offer I took out the 2 year/10000ml p.a. extended warranty for my Avensis (so up until 2019) this year for £516. This includes 2 years of Toyota Assistance that would have cost me £145 anyway.

Is that a manufacturer or dealer warranty Heidfirst?

it's the official Toyota Extended Warranty (hence why it has Toyota Roadside Assistance as part of it).

• Like 1