Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yokohama Tyres

wineman69

tyres from new 40000 miles 8years old. wide cracks on side wall of both rear tyres, tyre tread still very good .thought thay would last a bit longer without rotting

According to the AA, tyres degrade naturally through exposure to heat, sunlight and rain. If a vehicle is kept outside, one should check for signs of ageing (cracks in sidewalls) from when the tyres reach four to five years of age.

So if your car is kept outside and the tyres have lasted 8 years, they seem to have done well.

According to the tyre fitter at my work it's recommended to fit new tyres on the rear, and rotate the "old" rears to the front, thus allowing them to wear out and preventing them getting so old. There was also a thread on here a few days ago where @oldcodger posted a video where they had worn tyres on the front, then swapped them to the rear. The car gave way earlier with the worn ones on the rear. Here's the thread if you want a look...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/169258-will-i-get-points-on-my-licence-for-this/

that video is just so much bovine droppings. How does that "prove" anything except to a gullible non-tech one-moment-attention-span audience? Read the comments, they shred it.

eg

+The truth - notice how she was pushing him to drive faster than he was comfortable driving? Notice how all four tires were locked during the spin out? Hydroplaning occurs (in most instances) at speeds in excess of 45mph. If I knew that I had two "worn" tires on the back of my car, I would not be racing through a curvy road, in the pouring down rain and slamming on the brakes to induce a spinout (just to prove that spinning out is easier to do with smoother rear tires); but thats just me... I'd have to recommend that Mythbusters perform this test for me to even consider the validity of the tire industry's recommendation.
Reply· 1 2
Report spam or abuse
photo.jpg?sz=50
I guess this car is pre-Electronic stability control (ESC) or the ABS system disabled. Would love to know all the variables, i.e. were the "bad" tires almost bald? Please re-run the test with more realistic variables, ESC and ABS on, and "bad" tires having 70% thread remaining, which may be more representative of many people's situation. Factoring straight line wet stopping distance, it's too simple to say "always put new on rear"

tyres from new 40000 miles 8years old. wide cracks on side wall of both rear tyres, tyre tread still very good .thought thay would last a bit longer without rotting

This is the reason I hope the new MOT proposal on age limits for tyres are adopted. Your tyres have perished, they shouldn't be in use yet you're complaining they should last longer than 8 years.

thanks for all replys i just thought thay might last a bit longer as the tread was still good also im a bit tight where money is concerned.any thoughts on what tyres i should put on.two fronts are yokohama in very good condition.cheers

If you're happy with the Yokohama's then consider another pair, Toyo's were factory issue before that and Dunlop before them, i'm not a fan of Bridgestone's I ran on my RAV previously. General Grabber UHP used to get some love on here.

I had an advisory on my 38k 8 year old rear Yoko's recently as well - some evidence of cracking. I guess I'll change them soon even though they're only half worn

I guess it shows that yokos wear well, but the natural deterioration has caught up with them.

thanks for all replys i just thought thay might last a bit longer as the tread was still good also im a bit tight where money is concerned.any thoughts on what tyres i should put on.two fronts are yokohama in very good condition.cheers

A pair of Yokos would be the sensible approach as a full set of matching tyres is a bonus when it comes time to sell. Keep the fronts where they are and put the new ones on the rear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links