Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Humming Noise, Battery

MisterBhai

I have a 2012 Prius PHV with 50K miles on it Strange series of events last couple of days

1) Went to friend's home last night, park the car, come back after 30 minutes and car would not start. Completely dead. Tried to plug in to electrical outlet to get some juice so I can drive back home but nothing. Called AAA as they came out and gave me a jump. While driving back home, many dash board lights are lit including "hybrid warning. stop and check" plus several dash board signals on. Car was heavy in driving as there is little power to drive.

2) Got home, while car running, I insert electrical charger in and as soon as I did that, car engine completely shut down.

3) I also noticed a humming constant sound coming in front of engine close to where 12V Battery is located. Wonder if this noise is caused Battery to drain as it is only three years old car and Battery should last longer

Any one any feedback response is appreciated.

Imaginative but what you describe is nonsense. The Toyota Hybrid and PHV do not work in the way that you think.

Thank you for your great insightful post. It would have been better if you stayed away and not responded to my request. That would have been much appreciated.

FYI, the Prius does not have a 12v Battery in the front of the car near the engine, what you heard humming is the inverter, the square silver topped thing. It sounds like the inverter has failed, best thing to do is get it to the dealers and get it fixed under warranty.

• Like 1

Thank you. I planned to do that in the morning to take it to dealer. I was just trying to get some insight from Prius experts here to see if others have observed this issue in the past. This would allow me to be ready for my trip to dealership tomorrow.

Touch wood never had any issues with my Prius PHEV. It's a 2013 model with 36k on the clock now.

What mileage has yours done OP.

Does it charge from the plug in side of things? Noises under the bonnet are completely normal when charging from the mains.

How long did you drive it for after jump starting until plugging it in and it shutting off?

Do please keep us updated on what your dealership says when it's taken to them.

Thank you. I planned to do that in the morning to take it to dealer. I was just trying to get some insight from Prius experts here to see if others have observed this issue in the past. This would allow me to be ready for my trip to dealership tomorrow.

Unfortunately the only inverter failure I have heard about was a member called Grumpy Cabbie on his Gen 3 (not the plug-in version) and he's gone over to the dark side and bought a Nissan Leaf EV. I believe he occasionally haunts (browses) these forums, so he may chirp up on this one and give the symptoms of the failure. Alternatively you could have a look at the US prius forum "Priuschat" and do a search on there.

Depending on what type of buzzing can be heard it could just be the inverter cooling pump running after shut down to cool the inverter this will be quite common on a hot day

You should hear the noises my Yaris HSD makes. Wheezing humming clonks etc. All normal all OK. Just passed my Hybrid health check flying colours. Odo just turned 50k miles this morning. 62 plate. Best car I ever owned. 100% bullet proof reliability.

I'd be pondering inverter coolant pump failure.

When my inverter went pop it barely gave any symptoms. About a month before it failed I was speeding down a hill in Power mode and hard on the brakes for the roundabout at the bottom. Halfway down there was a very loud high pitched noise - similar to the normal high pitched noise some hear when a Prius normally brakes, but this was loud enough to be heard over the music. It lasted about 5 seconds. The car worked fine for a month after that.

Then I had just come down that same stretch of road, at 10.30 pm, hard on the brakes, round the roundabout, 300 yards and then I attempted to overtake a hgv. Popped it into Power mode, floored it, got halfway past hgv and nothing - dash lit up, power went totally, steering and brakes worked so I slowed down, pulled over and the car would crawl on electric to a safe place.

Turned out the inverter had gone pop - fried inside. One of the transistors (or whatever it is - there are about 3 I think) had melted - hence I could crawl on electric but the engine wouldn't fire up.

But this has since been discovered to be a problem and Toyota have since restricted power in Power mode and cars were either recalled or had it done at service time depending where in the World you live. Not a known issue on a PIP but seeing as the OP stated the 12v was in the front when any owner would know that that is not the case, I'm not going to speculate on their 'fault' further.

.... he's gone over to the dark side and bought a Nissan Leaf EV.

And still happy with it. Build quality isn't as good as Toyota though, just. It rattles and creaks like the Prius did and you're even more likely to hear it with no engine at 60 mph. I miss my Toyota dealer too as they were spot on. Shame Toyota have gone to the dark side that is hydrogen as that is just a fool's errand. Just look at the facts on the whole way of processing the fuel, the massively expensive fuel cell etc. They'd be better with a plug in with a petrol engine.

I hope the specs of the gen4 are worthy of reporting and if the PIP has a 30 mile range AND is not over priced again, then Toyota 'may' make up some lost ground. Just look how well the ugly Outlander PHEV is selling! Toyota could have had that market if they hadn't ****ed up release and pricing of the PIP.

I'm looking foward to the 150 mile range Leaf due out next year. I also like the fact that my old Leaf can be updated with the newer batter pack(s) to give me longer range - obviously if I pay for it :) There are UK companies increasing range by 50% or 100% for £3k & £5k respectively - with warranty.

I'm loving totally petrol free motoring. Never, ever having to cast an eye at the price board every time you pass a petrol station. I only recently found out that diesel is now cheaper. Wtf is going on with that?

Diesel is suddenly catching a lot of flack for being "dirty" and causing pollution, after more than a decade of being sold as "environmentally friendly".

The low price is because the market is being flooded with oil, and diesel is actually cheaper to produce.

after more than a decade of being sold as "environmentally friendly".

Its never been sold as that in my book, always has been dirty, just worked out better fuel economy for high mileage users, and slightly lower RFL, but thats all tbh.

It's getting flack due to issues with modern diesels and DPF failures because people who simply shouldn't be buying and using a diesel are.

DPF failures because people who simply shouldn't be buying and using a diesel are.

Absolutely! I remember from years ago when it was said that if you aren't pulling/carrying heavy objects, or driving long distances (>50 miles one-way) then forget diesel and buy petrol. I cringe whenever I see a diesel being used for the 1 mile shopping trip. Madness!