Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 1.6 Service 1zr-fe Spark Plug Removal And Torque Settings

avensisd4d786

Hi is there anything I need to watch out for when doing the plugs? I have not worked on the 1.6 engine yet.

what are the torque settings, I have a haynes manual that covers the 4zz-fe engine.

I have bought these if anyone else is interested I hope to get pictures so I can do a little guide

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Auris-Spark-Plugs-Set-of-4x-90919-01253-SC20HR11-Denso-IRIDIUM-/261313576243?hash=item3cd780bd33

20 Nm torque (204 kgf * cm, or 15 lbf-ft).

Thank you in the haynes manual it says 25nm 18 lbf ft for 1.4 corolla

You're right, 25 Nm is given for 1.4 L engine, but for 1.6 L, correct torque is 20 Nm.

• Like 1

Hi guys I have had a look at engine bay today..it seems the engine sits on a angle and the windscreen cowling plastic trim is directly above it.is there a special tool needed for clearance or does anything have to be removed before removing the coil.

I have done this bit time consuming removing the plastics and metal panel. I will do a guide when I get chance

• 4 years later...

Hi, I got to the spark plugs after removing the window wipers, plastic shielding, metal bracket and window wiper motor, and now the spark plugs won't grip my socket.  It seems there is a lip on the cylinder the socket sits in just above the spark plug nut.  Has anyone had any experience replacing this, or encountered this same issue?  Not sure why they would do this, as it's been a right faff to get to the spark plugs to begin with.  Can I remove the cylinder somehow?

Hi, I think from your description that you need one of these thin-wall spark plug sockets.  They fit newer Minis and Citroen/Peugeot cars with the 'Prince' engine.  And other cars too.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4376-Plug-Socket-Thin/dp/B003AMVZ72/ref=psdc_2846593031_t1_B07YFXFB97

They are becoming more and more commonly available from a variety of brands and outlets.

40 minutes ago, Gerg said:

Hi, I think from your description that you need one of these thin-wall spark plug sockets.  They fit newer Minis and Citroen/Peugeot cars with the 'Prince' engine.  And other cars too.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4376-Plug-Socket-Thin/dp/B003AMVZ72/ref=psdc_2846593031_t1_B07YFXFB97

They are becoming more and more commonly available from a variety of brands and outlets.

Thanks, I'm using a 16mm thin walled socket already (21mm dia.).  Like I said, it's the cylinder housing appears to have a lip preventing the socket from sitting onto the spark plugs, like it's been designed to prevent it.

54 minutes ago, MattMo said:

I'm using a 16mm thin walled socket already

Are you sure that you don't need a 14mm socket? 

One of the Amazon reviewers of that linked item has successfully used it on a 2009 Avensis 1.6, so the same engine as yours?

• Like 1

I used to own an Auris 1.6 and I'm fairly sure it was a 14mm socket needed for the plugs.

16 hours ago, Gerg said:

Are you sure that you don't need a 14mm socket? 

One of the Amazon reviewers of that linked item has successfully used it on a 2009 Avensis 1.6, so the same engine as yours?

The engine is a 1.8, so maybe a bit different? Worth a try though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links