Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Toyota Ipsum (avensis Verso) Rear Differential Noise

kiwitonita

13 hours ago, Mr. Mike said:

It was in use before 2004 in Japan, then Vibe / Matrix in US / UK after mid 2008- 2010.

Afaik the UK got neither.

Only thing that I can think of other than the 2nd generation (2001-2009) Avensis Verso of the title that was 2.4l fwd with a 4-spd auto option here would be the 2003/4 Avensis (in 2005 it went to a 5-speed) - but that again is a rare car in that configuration in the UK (most were smaller capacity & manual trans).

You possibly might find documentation at https://www.toyota-tech.eu but you will have to search creatively as it probably won't recognize your VIN no. Some info access is chargeable (but you can download it so only have to pay once).

9 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Afaik the UK got neither.

Only thing that I can think of other than the 2nd generation (2001-2009) Avensis Verso of the title that was 2.4l fwd with a 4-spd auto option here would be the 2003/4 Avensis (in 2005 it went to a 5-speed) - but that again is a rare car in that configuration in the UK (most were smaller capacity & manual trans).

Hi and 'Merry Christmas' by the way 🙂

The author of this very thread was addressing the same (but older) version of the same electromagnetic rear AWD clutch application.  This is what drew me to find this thread from the images stored in a Google image search.  After days of endless searching ( a result of many different names given to this rear clutch and the confusion of many with the alternate viscous coupling) I was shocked to find early versions being discussed in translated Russian and references to early application of same by Toyota in Japan.  There are actually more than a dozen Toyota models in the Asian markets that applied this high failure rate design, leading to some who discuss rebuilding them, but sadly leaving insufficient bread crumbs on procedures not well demonstrated.  This is surprising given the total number of these clutches in use over as many years as they have been applied. 

I was hopeful the author of the thread may have had further outcome in their efforts where the last poster to the thread did not return to complete further findings unfortunately.  This is why I posted to the older existing thread rather than starting a new one, hoping to find some among the forums that could relate or respond in context.

I'm probably down to taking it apart carefully and figuring it out.  These early designs were subject to compound assembly alignment issues along the entire drive train which stressed the input bearing to the clutch, being the most frequent failure to replace the larger input bearing just past the drive shaft attachment inside the clutch.  In my case, the aftermarket unit found in the 09 Vibe here has the other bearing (output side to the differential) destroyed.  This smaller ball bearing is much more difficult to release from the assembly with what appears could cause damage to the internal coil assembly if not done correctly.  Releasing the bearing retainer from the clutch proper first, seems to make the most sense. The drawings available lack sufficient clarity to confirm the assembly method making it more difficult to determine a correct approach in pressing a bearing out without causing more harm or is there a threaded lock ring which allows it to come apart first?  There's also indication the unit may have a sealed transmission fluid interior bath the control segment may be filled with, to further concern if disassembly might damage or interrupt the internal seals less likely to be available for replacement.

If there's no response familiar with the assembly coming back from other posters, maybe I can provide some final information back that could at least help others with similar problems later on if I succeed.  I don't want to double post to a new posting as it's likely to raise concerns with moderators unaware of the difficulty to raise greater attention to the questions at hand.

Anyhow, thank you sincerely for responding.  Maybe Santa uses this clutch in his sleigh if he finds time to reply after he's finished his long journey.  🙂  Doesn't appear he left a replacement unit under the tree here, so time may tell one way or the other.

Regards,

Mike