Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Bike Rack For Toyota Yaris Hybrid

Maia

I'm being told I cannot fit a towbar to Yaris hybrid. I want to put on a Thule bike rack which needs a towbar. I don't want to tow I only need it for the bike rack. I see Toyota do a 2 bike rack but there is no info as to how it attaches/detaches and if it tilts etc. Does anyone have a Toyota Yaris hybrid and a rear bike rack? The Toyota one seems very expensive at £800.

Hello Melanie - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Post moved to the Yaris club

Looks like the bicycle rack you've mentioned is the Easy Click bicycle holder that attaches to a tow bar - https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/yaris/index.json#/publish/ACCESSORIES_INTERACTION_VIEWALL/single=false

In the UK, Toyota GB don't recommend towing with a hybrid, and thus tow bars are probably not a Type Approved fitting for the Yaris Hybrid.

Alternatives would probably be Toyota roof mounted bicycle carriers (pictured on the same page I linked) together with the Roof Rack - cost around £ 319 plus assembly), something similar from a third party manufacturer, or a hatch mounted bicycle carrier from a third party manufacturer.

• 5 months later...

Hi Melanie.

We're getting a Yaris hybrid next month and are also trying to sort out how to transport our bikes.  Did you go for the option recommended above?  How did it work out? Are you happy with it?

Hi Claire, 

I have held off as I'm deciding whether I get a new Yaris hybrid next year and put the bike rack on from the beginning. At £800 it is rather expensive if I am going to change my car next year. 

Hope you love your Yaris hybrid. I would have gone for it if my car was brand new. She is 3 years old hence why I'm not rushing into it. 

I also have the panoramic roof so I def would not go for roof bar. 

My folks have a RAV4 with a tow bar n bike carrier which looks very similar and it is perfect so I know it is the type I want on my car.

Mel :) 

Thanks for your reply Mel.

We're currently looking at an alternative solution - http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/rear-door-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-raceway-991-_-991001

Not sure if this will work as our spec includes a spoiler - and I'm not sure if it's compatible.  I've asked our dealer to investigate on our behalf. Personally I'd be happy not to have the spoiler!

Cheers,

Claire

• 3 years later...

I have a Yaris Hybrid too, mine is three years old as well. I have been thinking about getting a tow bar fitted so I can carry my bike. I received quote of over a £1000, for tow bar and carrier. A bit much I think.

5 hours ago, Susan Graham said:

I have a Yaris Hybrid too, mine is three years old as well. I have been thinking about getting a tow bar fitted so I can carry my bike. I received quote of over a £1000, for tow bar and carrier. A bit much I think.

You cannot fit a tow bar as the car isn't homologated to tow. just because you won't be towing, it doesn't mean that future owners will want to tow. Have a read at this thread.

Mick.

• 2 years later...

I'm buying the new Yaris Hybrid 2021 and have been told a towbar invalidates warranty as it needs to integrate with electrics. Been looking at Thule. Thule website says it's compatible but Halfords says not. Confusing as the point of concern is the spoiler. Anyone have a view. https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-outway-hanging-3-_-995001

Toyota did a genuine towbar for the old Yaris Hybrid. Ask your dealer if they have one for the new version.

It was actually called a 'bicycle holder'. Here are the details:

Bike holder

You also need the wiring, IIRC.

I think it was a £1000 option - I have only seen one car with it fitted.

They've told me it invalidates warranty. Tbh £1000 is criminal. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links