Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Leaking Into Tailgate Floor Pan

JHL

Could it be coming from the rear light seals?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately it does not appear to be coming from the tail light clusters as the water is inboard of those areas. The water appears behind the rear door plastic floor trim under the carpet and extends the entire length of the trim.

I suspected the rear door seal, however, I cannot see anything wrong with it. Will wait for the next heavy rain (shouldn't be long) and have another look. Maybe I need to take some pics of where the water appears.

Cheers

Jeff

Now that it's raining I have had another look and found water coming down the internal body skin below the nearside rear window. Not sure if this is definitely the source of the water in the boot area, but it must be a likely culprit. I will need to check the window seal and any other possible ingress point. Meanwhile I have inserted a towel in the cavity to try and soak up whatever water is coming through.

Anyone had similar experience and found a cure?

Found the cause of the leak............the seal around the nearside rear quarter light has some fixing holes for the plastic trim. These holes are sealed by rubber grommets and it was a couple of these which had perished and were allowing water to enter into the inner body and accumulate in the boot floor pan.

The carpet and soundproofing had suffered water damage and the soundproofing material had become rather smelly so I thought about replacing them. Asked the parts department at my local Toyota dealer for a price...............wait for it................£960.00. So I will have a top of the range Axminster carpet fitted instead.

• 6 years later...

I have had this water leak problem. When you inspect the tailgate seal it looks fine. Because of aging the seal compresses and fails to seal properly. You can test the seal by closing the door on a narrow strip of paper an feel the tension as you pull the paper out. I was able to restore the seal tension by I cutting a length of insulated wire with total diameter 3mm and inserting it into the air pocket within the seal from the top left corner to the top right corner. This can easily be done through the existing manufactured breathing holes in the edge of the seal.

Hope this helps

On 9/15/2015 at 11:04 PM, JHL said:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately it does not appear to be coming from the tail light clusters as the water is inboard of those areas. The water appears behind the rear door plastic floor trim under the carpet and extends the entire length of the trim.

I suspected the rear door seal, however, I cannot see anything wrong with it. Will wait for the next heavy rain (shouldn't be long) and have another look. Maybe I need to take some pics of where the water appears.

Cheers

Jeff

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links