Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airbag Recalls

nicebutdim

Had a letter from VOSA saying im subject to an passenger airbag recall.

Anyone else had one?

A few people globally are involved - around 34 million up to May 2015 across approx 11 vehicle manufacturers: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/167712-takata-doubles-faulty-airbag-recall-to-34-million/

Lol, no, not just you. :)

My 2004 T2 has escaped many a recall but not this one! Letter is info only - no action yet as they don't have enough replacement parts. Hey ho, never mind, it's only the (passenger) airbag we're talking about... :g:

Parts would be supplied by the airbag manufacturer, Takata, who are responsible for the recall happening, and as they have a few to supply .....

• Like 1

I had mine done a few weeks ago, took about 2 hours including a valet. Lasted 5 days then the airbag light has been flashing ever since, I'll have to take it back...

B)

I had my airbag replacement done Jan 15, since i got it back the centre console (including the stereo) have been gradually falling out. They are having the car back to sort it out next week, saying they think some retaining screws weren't done up tight enough... lmao Oh so just some screws huh... makes you wonder and this was my toyota dealership! Be warned....

Thanks for the warnings, would never have thought it'd come back with more problems than it went with, so will be watching out for that.

Come to think of it... I did ask my local dealership to have a look at my radio which has gone part-time for no apparent reason - often it's on when I turn on the accessories, then the whole thing does dead when I fire up the engine, then sometimes comes back on part-way through the journey (wondered if it was a battery/power level issue). Anyhow, they did have it out to take a look, said they didn't know what was wrong, so I got it back with the still not working radio, plus bonus gap above the radio (which was a previous fault that had been resolved after I bought it) and scratches on the facia. But apart that... ***** good service. :D

• 6 months later...

I've now received the letter and also confirming they have the stock and I should contact local dealer.

Should I risk take it in and getting back a creeky/noisey dash?

Did you guys sort out the issues you had after the replacement job?

28 minutes ago, roks said:

I've now received the letter and also confirming they have the stock and I should contact local dealer.

Mine was done with no problems. Suppose it depends on the dealership / individual mechanics, though...

52 minutes ago, roks said:

Personally I would prefer to know the airbag is working rather than worrying about a creaky dash.

Aside from that, if the car has an issue afterwards to do with the recall, it would be up to the dealer to sort it.

Since my letter in September (posted above), I've had no further contact.  How long did other people experience before the next contact?  Thanks.

There are contact details on the letter - why not give them a ring to find out what the latest is

My initial letter was Sept/Oct I think, then one in end of Feb to say parts in stock.

Edit: Just called my local dealer, they dont have the part instock, on order and its a 3-4Hrs jobs.

• 1 year later...

HI all,

Well finally I got confirmation that the part is ready to fit and is booked in a 2 hour slot to remedy, check over and give a clean (it isn't that dirty anyway). No doubt they will find lots of faults on an almost 11 year old car (and rightly so) but they are in hand.

Any idea what the procedure is? I was half hesitant of ignoring it as it didn't want them ripping half the dash to pieces (in an old car) but as the fix is only about an hour cant imagine it will consist of that. May go in via the airbag aperture or glove box?

Any ideas?

51 minutes ago, nicebutdim said:

. May go in via the airbag aperture or glove box?

Any ideas?

Dash top off on the Corolla 

Kingo :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, nicebutdim said:

Hi parts king, In an hour?

Our guys can do them quite quickly, they have done hundreds :lol: A very repetitive job, like anything else you do over and over again, you get to do it much quicker than if you only do it once every Preston guild ;) 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Our guys can do them quite quickly, they have done hundreds :lol: A very repetitive job, like anything else you do over and over again, you get to do it much quicker than if you only do it once every Preston guild ;) 

Assume you do not get many folk bringing them back complaining of noisy dashboards /radios etc ?

Got the letter saying my local dealer has got them in stock last month, but not contacted them yet as wanted to let them get practiced on other cars !

Can we book in to your garage with your handy guys when we are over your way  ! :biggrin:

Every dealer will have done hundreds, don't panic, you are welcome anytime, however, the air bag needs to be ordered from your chosen dealer, so ring them up and get it ordered (or us) so they/we can start the ball rolling, parts are ordered for specific chassis numbers, we do not have excess stocks to use on any vehicle :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Do they really remove the top dash? They did on my dads Avensis could tell, but my Comp has a cut out of were the airbag is so I would have thought that wouldn't be needed.

31 minutes ago, Aamir2892 said:

Do they really remove the top dash? They did on my dads Avensis could tell, but my Comp has a cut out of were the airbag is so I would have thought that wouldn't be needed.

Parts King does work for a Toyota dealer (Lindop Toyota), so he should know whether the top dash is removed or not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Parts King does work for a Toyota dealer (Lindop Toyota), so he should know whether the top dash is removed or not.

No I only asked as the dash on mine doesn't look like it was touched, as I presumed the airbag cut out it wouldn't need it to be. My dads car (Avensis) the air vents weren't properly installed and there were marks on the dash etc. Done by same Dealership.

I got the same letter after the car's  last two mot's had just been passed. I think they are hoping the car will fail mot and go off the road and not need airbag replaced. I would not bother getting it done, the existing airbag has done ok for year's. But that's just my opinion.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links