Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Airbag Recalls

nicebutdim

Had a letter the other week, went in and had it all done within a hour, complained a little and got a full mechanical inspection. [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

hi all,

just to put some closure on my question. Car went in Friday and recall completed and my fears about a shoddy job/rattly dash we untrue. Cant tell that it has been apart and with the wash/vac and health check FOC, a very pleasant experience.

The video highlighted a couple if under the car jobs that i wasn't aware of but saving that for my mechanic at MOT time.

I do rate Toyota service very highly but its a shame they don't make a particularly nice looking cars at the moment, although I;m sure they are very capable cars indeed. I really wish I could buy my model type corolla as a new car again!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 9:21 PM, Ant-Rav said:

I got the same letter after the car's  last two mot's had just been passed. I think they are hoping the car will fail mot and go off the road and not need airbag replaced. I would not bother getting it done, the existing airbag has done ok for year's. But that's just my opinion.

This is not a personal preference thing, this is a manufacturer safety recall and as such you should have the job done (at no expense to you) It is not a case of failing the MOT, it is a case of possible injury should the air bag go off, please get it booked in to be done :thumbsup: 

Hi Kingo,

Out of interest, any rough idea  of how many UK Corollas are affected ?

18 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi Kingo,

Out of interest, any rough idea  of how many UK Corollas are affected ?

There are a couple of programmes running, but the Corolla is approx 460K in Europe and 55K in the UK :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

I had two letter's both shortly after the car's last two MOT's  bit odd. In my case anyway.

44 minutes ago, Ant-Rav said:

I had two letter's both shortly after the car's last two MOT's  bit odd. In my case anyway.

If the recall is the Takata airbag recall, several vehicle manufacturers are involved across the world, and manufacturers have had to wait for Takata, whose responsibility the recall is, to suppy the parts. In excess of 50 million vehicles are involved globally

• 4 months later...
On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, Parts-King said:

This is not a personal preference thing, this is a manufacturer safety recall and as such you should have the job done (at no expense to you) It is not a case of failing the MOT, it is a case of possible injury should the air bag go off, please get it booked in to be done :thumbsup: 

I think you under-estimate the inconvenience factor. Many, who might rightly or wrongly deem it a tiny risk (of the inflator ever affecting them), are balancing this risk against the cost in time (and therefore money) of having the work done. It could only be said to be "at no expense to you" if Toyota were to take care of the whole process including collection, fix, return of car and provision of an alternative vehicle while work is taking place. Can anyone advise of the actual fix time btw? I have heard varying reports from 1 hour to 1 day. Also, can anyone advise why both sides (driver and passenger) weren't addressed in the previous recall? That would, albeit with hindsight, seem to have been a 'no brainer'.

1 hour ago, metalaris said:

Can anyone advise of the actual fix time btw? I have heard varying reports from 1 hour to 1 day. Also, can anyone advise why both sides (driver and passenger) weren't addressed in the previous recall? That would, albeit with hindsight, seem to have been a 'no brainer'.

It takes around an hour, ish, our chaps are quite good at doing them now ;) Takata expanded the recall, in fact the whole thing has been expanded as the issue has now been established to affect more vehicles, that is beyond Toyota's control as they did not make the air bags. This recall affects millions of cars worldwide. Have you spoken to your dealer? They may be able to accommodate a collection/delivery for you 

Bear in mind that the airbag issues are not down to Toyota or any of the several other vehicle manufacturers involved, the issues are purely down to the airbag manufacturer, Takata. Given the millions of vehicles involved globally, Takata had difficulties identifying which vehicles and which airbags could be involved - hence vehicle manufacturers having to undertake more than one recall. Takata filed for bankruptcy last year, leaving the vehicle manufacturers this fund the recalls themselves.

Under the UK DVSA recall system, vehicle manufacturers are limited as to what, if any, incentives they can offer to encourage owners to have recall work undertaken. For example, unacceptable incentives include, but are not limited to: money off vouchers for servicing, MOT's, repairs, etc; discounts off service plans, new products, parts, accessories, etc.

So the provision of an end to end service by the vehicle  manufacturer including use of courtesy cars, etc would fall foul of the limitations. Of course, a dealer may be able to provide a loan car if one were available - as this would be different to the manufacturer providing one.

In the admittedly unlikely event of one of your airbags failing, it would be in the interest of yourself and any front passenger to get the recall done.

I just booked in New Yaris for it's first service and MOT since I bought it! Luckily saw this thread to remind me to ask about recalls! The outstanding one for mine is indeed for airbags but my dealer said there is a shortage of replacements and can't do mine until may, possibly june! :(

13 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I just booked in New Yaris for it's first service and MOT since I bought it! Luckily saw this thread to remind me to ask about recalls! The outstanding one for mine is indeed for airbags but my dealer said there is a shortage of replacements and can't do mine until may, possibly june! :(

Yaris are not too bad, book it in and get them to order up, should be in within a week or so 

Had a letter for my Corolla last week.  Phoned up to book it in today and have been told it’s only a week for parts.  Did book it in (with a loan car) for Thursday of next week but need to change that now as something has come up.  Week after should be possible though...

he said they’d give it a visual check when it’s in....I’ve told him not to look too closely! :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Noticed that our model has a Passenger Airbag key lock on the passenger side of the dash , covered by the door when closed.

If its turned OFF will that stop these faulty  airbags from deploying  ?   

Out of interest, of the reported 50m bags to be replaced, any clue as to approx how many have exploded on their own ?   a handful, hundreds, thousands ?

I have not seen any, or even heard of any, self exploding air bags. I don't know of anybody who has been injured either, that's not to say it might not have happened somewhere in the world, but I think you can safely say it is a very low figure. The official information can be found here

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker.json

From what I have read it is high heat, humidity, or cycling of temperature that can cause the issue 

• Like 1

My parents' neighbour had the driver's one deploy in her Nissan Serena a few years ago while driving.

Just for info, if anyone is uncertain whether their vehicle is subject to the recall, you can also check here:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

It may show the following:

Outstanding recall found

As of 4 May 2018 there's an outstanding manufacturer's safety recall on TOYOTA COROLLA [Reg Plate].

Contact a TOYOTA dealership to arrange for repairs.

If you've had the recalled component repaired recently, it can take up to three weeks for the manufacturer to update their records.

And of course Toyota have had their recall checker for a number of years - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker.json

This doesn't only show safety recalls arranged with DVSA (which are only shown by the DVSA checker) but also whether a car is affected by a Toyota voluntary customer service campaign or similar (ie. not safety related).

• Like 1

Yes, that works. Great info :biggrin: But if you've had a registration plate change like me, you'll need to use the VIN number :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this diagram on the airbag removal, wonder why the whole dash needs dropping if its such a complete unit as shown ?

000946.jpg

• Like 1

..............because on a lot of models the inflator (NOT the air bag) is fitted to the underside of the dash board

Kingo :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
On 3/21/2018 at 1:47 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Bear in mind that the airbag issues are not down to Toyota or any of the several other vehicle manufacturers involved, the issues are purely down to the airbag manufacturer, Takata. Given the millions of vehicles involved globally, Takata had difficulties identifying which vehicles and which airbags could be involved - hence vehicle manufacturers having to undertake more than one recall. Takata filed for bankruptcy last year, leaving the vehicle manufacturers this fund the recalls themselves.

Under the UK DVSA recall system, vehicle manufacturers are limited as to what, if any, incentives they can offer to encourage owners to have recall work undertaken. For example, unacceptable incentives include, but are not limited to: money off vouchers for servicing, MOT's, repairs, etc; discounts off service plans, new products, parts, accessories, etc.

So the provision of an end to end service by the vehicle  manufacturer including use of courtesy cars, etc would fall foul of the limitations. Of course, a dealer may be able to provide a loan car if one were available - as this would be different to the manufacturer providing one.

In the admittedly unlikely event of one of your airbags failing, it would be in the interest of yourself and any front passenger to get the recall done.

If that is a rule it makes utterly no sense at all. In any case this doesn’t actually say the manufacturer is not allowed to provide a courtesy car. Furthermore, if it’s a safety issue surely it would not be right for the DVDA to put anything in the way of encouraging the public to bring their cars in to resolve it. In my view issues of safety are precisely the types of issue where incentives should be encouraged, not prevented.

Also, why should the punter care who actually makes the airbag? If I buy a vehicle from Toyota and they were responsible for choosing a parts supplier then as far as I am concerned that responsibility rests with them, not with me, not with anyone else.

At the end of the day, it is the dealer who provides the courtesy car, not the manufacturer, and the availability of a courtesy car rests with the dealer. Period.

A correctly observed, though different, point well made.