Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso 2.0 D-4d White Smoke

GaryK26

Hi

I've had my 2010 Verso (approx 65,000 miles) for almost 6 months and in the past 3-4 weeks have noticed white smoke coming out of the exhaust which happens quite regularly - sometimes several times during a journey.

The car starts fine - every time and I haven't noticed the smoke at start up.

It tends to happen when the engine is warm and more so when in 2nd gear whether I am accelerate hard or gentle.

Sometimes there is a lot of smoke (leaving a considerable cloud behind me) and other times not as much.

Hard acceleration tends to produce the largest "clouds".

I've done plenty of searching the web and this problem appears to be mentioned more often with the Avensis than other models.

There seem to be several suggestions as to the cause of the problem, some of which suggest head gasket.

Please could you guys share your thoughts on the problem and roughly how much it will cost to get rectified at a Toyota dealer?

Also in relation top head gasket, I have seen mention of Toyota acknowledging a general problem and repair is covered for cars up to 7 years & 100K miles.

Cheers

Gary

Hello Gary - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Post moved from the Verso S club to the Verso club.

See the first post of the following, especially in relation to the production dates of cars affected - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/page-1

Your fault sounds like one mentioned in a Toyota service bulletin ref EG-0096T-1011 or EG-0111T-0910-EN

Some customers may complain that intermittently there is excessive white smoke coming from the exhaust during accelerations. The fix is either a software update or a new AF sensor and software update so nothing too serious, if you where unlucky enough to have a failed head gasket unfortunately you would not be covered as your car was built well after the final fix point and features a different variation of the AD engine not included in the warranty extension.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Devon...

Local dealer had the car today and couldn't find anything wrong.

I will mention the TSB to them when I pick it up this evening.

BTW, how do I view the TSB's? If I can't please could you post the TSB details (text)?

Cheers

Gary

Bulletins can be accessed for a small charge at www.toyota-tech.eu

Went to pick the car up this evening and spoke with the service manager.

He said the car is running perfectly and they could not find a fault.

I took along a print of the TSB info that Lee kindly provided. The manager checked their system and came back saying that the sensor was not applicable, but the software update was.

So they will update that tomorrow (manager going to have stern words with the technician as a simple check on "White Smoke" came back with the suggested update).

This is my first experience of dealing with Toyota dealer and I must say that I am very impressed with them. The fact that they were are not charging for the checks that they did today or the software update tomorrow is fantastic. Try getting the same level of service from any other manufacturer!

Again, massive thanks to Lee for the info.

I don’t know why you’re so pleased with that dealership Gary, words like incompetent, slovenly and incapacity come to mind. You’re lucky that Devon Aygo gave you the information about that TSB because otherwise you might have been sent down a very lengthy and expensive path. Type in D4D white smoke into the search box at the top of this page and see the stories there.

I think it’s unconscionable that a customer has to provide the details of a TSB to a Toyota dealer – even worse when it turns out that this information is already flagged up in their system and the “technician” either failed to read it or failed to act on it.
  • Like 1

Yes Tom, you are right about them being incompetent - I guess that I'm just relieved that the problem is [hopefully] now going to be resolved.

Prior to joining this site I did a fair bit of googling for the problem and do recall some people saying pretty much the same as what Toyota told me yesterday - that they had checked the car and it is running absolutely fine.

Therefore I would like to detract my comment that I am impressed with them! lol!

If I have any other problems in the future, I think that my first port of call will be this forum, so that I can then tell Toyota how to fix my car!

• 4 months later...

Hi gary/ other members

great to hear that ur problems is resolved. I have the same car verso 2.0 Tr D-4D and experiencing the same problem as u mentioned with your car. My cars problem also started sometimes in Oct/Nov 2015. I am  really  worried about the issue and took to Toyota garage they said that they will charge me the diagnostic and find out the fault. then I did not go to them. though the car is still in 5year guarantee but they said there are some pre requisites for that. My car has done only 94000 odd miles. then somebody said to me that as its Diesel car and you drive less miles only 40 to 50 and on local road may be that's the reason. I took it to few mechanics they checked it but said there seem to no fault. please advice what to do. As I am worried about a lot of expense.

My car is Toyota Verso 2.0 TR D-4D diesel, dash board light show no apparent fault. only the coolant light stays on blue for a mile or so and then its goes of. when I start the car there is no problem at all drives for 10 to 11 miles and it starts smoking a lot on acceleration specially in 2nd and 3rd gear then it calms down on 4th gear. At high acceleration it smokes in 4th gear. the smoke colour is grey/bluish. The only thing that improves the smoke emission is that if I switch the car of for few minutes and then carry on journey and that improvement is only for 1 or two miles. Now I am switching the car of even at Red traffic light not to embarrass myself to the drivers in rear. I have using  Redex diesel in fuel as but this thing is not going. Please help.

• 3 years later...

I have exactly the same problem - I called Toyota and they said there is no ECU update available. It has an intermittent white/blue smoke - Where can I do a software updated? Or what is actual the solution for this problem ? There seem to be so many different variations of answers out there for the same kind of issue 

Toyota Corolla Verso 2004   Registered in  2005
2.2L diesel DCAT (177hp)
6 manual transmission (2WD) 

Many thanks

Anu

• 5 months later...

Wow, I had this issue and took it to local Toyota garage. They said it was software update also. I had to pay a flat fee of £120. They said it would come with a complimentary wash at the end of the day but that was forgotten about!

Anyway, previously, the smoke appeared at 2nd/3rd gear on accelerating from traffic lights. That seems largely rectified but now, 3 months on, I am now seeing the smoke appear accelerating from 4th/5th gear when I set off for work on a local A road!

I have started to just accept it happens every day because it fine after the initial burst of smoke....should I take it back to garage again?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links