Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Rav4 Hybrid - What One Needs To Know ....

FROSTYBALLS

So is the Hybrid Petrol or Diesel combo (or either)?

A just seen a colleague with a Merc AMG 2.2 Turbo Diesel + electric motor (never heard of a diesel hybrid before) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is Petrol Hybrid 4 x 4 that you can tow with ;)

oh (no Diesel Hybrid then) :(

A just seen a colleague with a Merc AMG 2.2 Turbo Diesel + electric motor (never heard of a diesel hybrid before) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Citroen offers the DS5 with a diesel hybrid.

Citroen offers the DS5 with a diesel hybrid.

So why not Toyota?

Low torque / power / range of diesel + green efficient electric = win win

Apart from clatter and deadly emissions I guess....

Toyota's main markets over and above Europe are America and Asia. Diesel as a means of propelling cars, has never been as popular in their main markets, as in Europe. This is partly why Toyota have begun using BMW designed diesel engines in the European market, as it saves development costs, and provides a relatively cheap way of getting up to date diesel engines for use in Europe.

.... and then there is the possible long term effect on diesel engines of the current Volkswagen debacle ........

• Like 2

Toyota have stuck with their tried and tested Petrol Hybrid setup. If you want a diesel you will need to get a 2WD non Hybrid version. As Frosty has said, globally diesel is a dinosaur and becoming more unpopular by the day. Sure it will have it;s place in certain cars, but Hybrid Diesel? You will need to change marques for that

• Like 1

I believe that Peugeot are discontinuing their diesel hybrid (so potentially sister brand Citroen too).

I believe that Peugeot are discontinuing their diesel hybrid (so potentially sister brand Citroen too).

Any reason why?

Think with PSA's (Peugeot and Citroen) recent financial troubles (ie having to be bailed out by the French Government and the Chinese manufacturer, Dongfeng Motors) they were looking to cull low selling models.

• Like 1

Out of curiousity, why has this moved from the Hybrid section?

It is about the hybrid Rav4.

The ICE part of a hybrid drive doesn't really need torque or power, that is what the electric motor provides.

Out of curiousity, why has this moved from the Hybrid section?

It is about the hybrid Rav4.

I started the thread and as it is applicable to both the Rav4 and the hybrid clubs, I decided it should be accessible in both - which it has been within a minute of first posting.

The Hybrid/Toyota Prius club isn't the only place where people post about their hybrids - there are numerous hybrid posts in the Auris and Yaris clubs, and I anticipate the same will happen with the Rav4.

Hybrid diesel makes little sense, the world is switching away from diesel because of the NOX/emissions (nothing to do with VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda/BMW software etc. just diesel being a fuel that pollutes in a more damaging way than petrol). Historically diesel returned better mpg and was cheaper, the EU moved to diesel and they were wrong to do so, now (like when they said fat was the problem and ignored sugar) we're emissions focused and suddenly diesel doesn't make sense, in that time small petrol's have improved and are now more economical with less harmful emissions so as the euro emissions standards and taxation push diesel to the fringes oem's will drop them. Sooner or later almost everything will be hybrid as we drive towards lowering emissions even though from an environmental position we'd be better off focusing on other sources of NOX as driving is a small % of the damage done on a daily basis.

Either way over the next few years we're going to see a lot of interesting quirks thrown up as oem's try different approaches and licence what works (Toyota/BMW for example) and ditch what doesn't. AWD with an electric motor sounds a great idea assuming it's capable and the motor can stand up to situations where it's required. I suspect most RAV owners rarely need AWD and those that do make use of it only do so for limited periods so having it as 2wd (as the RAV 4.3 started over a certain speed) makes sense.

• Like 1

The ICE part of a hybrid drive doesn't really need torque or power, that is what the electric motor provides.

What is ICE?

I thought it was the car stereo, no?

Internal Combustion Engine ;)

Silly me! :bangin:

Not In Car Entertainment then (ICE) :laughing:

Any idea what the price of this will be? What does a similar RAV4 go for currently? I guess the Hybrid part will add a premium?

The exterior is edgy and bold but the inside looks pretty dreary and dull. I suppose they still want this to look like a rugged, practical car and appeal to those who want that.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links