Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

53 Avensis 1.8vvt - Clutch Is It A Dual Mass Flywheel?

Demojohnny

Hi this is now the mrs runaround and the clutch has just gone in it. Partly I think the way she drives and partly it was due to go as got £133k on the clock.

Car was MOT'd with no advisories in May and has been a relatively hassle free car.

Guys that do my cars have said if it is a flywheel then no need to replace it but if a dual mass and heat damaged then it may need to swapped out. They are up to their eyes with work and said when they had a chance would look up what is needed.

I have done a search and not seen anything to answer so hopefully someone can help me.

So my question is it a flywheel or a dual mass flywheel on this model?

What would you estimate the budget to be for the repairs?

Thanks

Nope it's just a normal clutch and flywheel.

nope as far as I know its just a normal single mass flywheel.

normally if you put your reg into www.eurocarparts.com they would list a dual mass if it was available.

• 10 months later...

I put my 2003 1.8vvti Avensis into a local garage to get a new clutch fitted. After about an hour, the mechanic phoned saying, "The cost will be double if we find any problems with the dual mass flywheel.
I said, "I'll be amazed if you find any problems with the dual mass flywheel because my car doesn't have one"................. awkward silence.......

• Like 2

So you told him that you already know it is a standard flywheel? I can only assume he thinks all Avensis have DMF's, because he may have dealt with a diesel version. 

Even my Mk3 Vmatic 1.8 has a standard flywheel. Only high torque diesel engines and high performance petrol (turbo), which also have high torque. Not a normally aspirated 1.8 petrol. 

The only time you need to change the flywheel, is if the clutch had worn so much as to damage the flywheel surface. Don't tell the mechanic this bit, as you don't want to give him any ideas! Let him tell you that and show you (either during the work or give you the part. There will be a part number on the flywheel to confirm it came from your Avensis. The point is to be one step ahead of the mechanic so he doesn't take advantage of you.

I say all this, because the mechanic should have told you before hand, plus he know or at last have an idea. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I think the mechanic had looked up the wrong model on 'Autodata'. I got the car back at the end of the day and it's fine, no issues with the flywheel. I got a Valeo clutch online for £92 and the garage fitted it for £250 so not a bad price all-in considering the other ridiculous quotes I got.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links