Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urban Cruiser D-4d Engine Failure

Daibhidh

My 2010 Urban Cruiser now has a plastic bag in the footwell containing various pieces of crankcase, half a piston ring, half a con rod and a piece of crankshaft. A couple of days ago on a steep hill, the engine lost power, then raced away. Whilst trying to get the thing under control and safely stop (not easy as there was no throttle response), the engine self-destructed. A very loud bang, lots of smoke, and all of my oil in a black streak up the road. It took several minutes for the engine to stop smoking. I picked up pieces of engine off the road. A few days earlier I'd received a safety recall letter about the ECU and Intake modifications and it was due to get booked in at the dealer. It's three weeks out of warranty. I've been in touch with Toyota Customer Relations. They're calling me back next week. I'll update here on what happens.

I hope things get sorted in your favour.

The cars seem fairly reliable going by the lack of postings on here

Has the car had the recent recalls carried out

Yikes! :eek:

Glad you're okay!!!

Is there any idea what caused it? I'm guessing oil was leaking into the cylinder somehow; The turbo is often a source due to failing seals. (Not for the D4D specifically, but generally)

The recent recall letter (mine was dated 'September 2015') referred to an intake/intercooler issue that could allow oil into the combustion chamber 'in certain circumstances'. What happened seems to fit with just such an event. The sustained, steep hill is probably that 'certain circumstance'. The recall seesm to acknowledge that the design is a fault. I'm extremely surprised that something like this would happen on a fairly low mileage 2010 engine with FSH, just three weeks out of warranty. Last time something like this happened to me it was on a high-mileage '71 VW Beetle! Expecting to hear from Toyota UK this week.

• 3 months later...

So, it's ages since I posted on my engine failure. It's still not resolved - very, very frustrating. Toyota UK eventually agreed (because of the design fault in the intercooler) to pay for work to rebuild the engine: new shortblock, head, turbo. Good news - for a while. I got the car back from Corrie Motors in late November.

Since then, I've had four days worth of motoring and the car is on it's third return to the dealers. Each time I picked it up, the car lasts a day or two, then the CEL, VSC and 4WD lights came on with a loss of power (limp mode). It's back at Corrie, won't run at all and requires a DPF system and all injectors replacing (asking for over £1300 from me). Toyota UK and Corrie agree that the DPF system is not functioning, but Toyota UK dispute it has anything to do with the engine failure in September - burning its own oil and chucking all the resulting gunk out of the exhaust! So, it turns out Toyota UK will pay for *some* of the repair work caused by the design fault - but still want a lot of money from me before I can get my car back.

So, 4 months on, I still don't have my car. First Toyota - absolute nightmare.

From your post Toyota have paid for the repair they say the design fault is responsible for, but won't pay for a repair not associated with the design fault.

As the car was outside the new car warranty and not covered by a Toyota extended warranty, presumably the repair was undertaken under goodwill.

In my view a £1300 contribution, although not an inconsiderable amount, is less than the cost of a new engine which you may have been faced with had Toyota refused goodwill.

I'm thankful for Toyota's goodwill. But, when an acknowledged Toyota design fault results in a dangerous runaway that destroys your engine, it seems more an issue of 'doing the right thing' than just 'goodwill'. There are options for legal recourse with dangerous design faults.

My issue is that the DPF repair *is* associated with the design fault. The piston rod that came out through the side of the crankcase was not faulty in itself, neither was the DPF, but both were damaged beyond repair by the faulty intercooler/intake design. I don't mind a contribution either, but £1300 is too much to end up paying for the results of an acknowledged Toyota design fault.

Yes, there are options for legal recourse, which may be expensive, time consuming and drawn out, especially if the option chosen doesn't work out in your favour. None of which will help you get your car back quickly.

Thanks for your quick reply - but you're a little combative, and misunderstand. I'm glad that Toyota Customer Service didn't leave me needing to go down any legal route. My point was that 'goodwill' is hardly an accurate term for things like this.

As to getting my car back quickly, quickly passed a long time ago.

Not being combatitive, just realistic.

There is already a recall out on the issue, so that is one avenue that is closed.

One could have the car inspected by an independent engineer, but that could then end up by being one opinion against another.

The main fault with the engine has been repaired, so the evidence of what actually happened has gone.