Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 D4d Woes

tony65

Hi All,

Just a feeler to see if anyone out there has had this problem, I purchased a 2010 D4D from a well known main dealer a couple of months ago and on its first decent run lost power when under any sort of load, returned to dealer to have faulty fuel pump valves diagnosed, These were renewed under warrenty as expected, a couple of weeks later the engine lost all power and would not restart for 30 seconds and when it did would die very shortly afterwards. Yet another trip to the main dealer who told me that the engine management alarm was showing poor starting, and diagnosed more valves and the ECU. These having been replaced the fault had not cleared, Further investigation apparently found swarf in the common rail, this apparently happens when the car was mis fuelled. The dealer to be fair accepted responsibility and liability after first checking the fuel but did say that the damage was severe. They have made the decision to replace all the components from the fuel pump onwards. Has anyone had this done before and if they have has the car been ok

My son had a similar problem when the fuel filter broke up, everything from the filter on was replaced and the car has been fine since.

Sorry you are having problems after such a short time,takes the shine off having a new car (to you) I should think?

Personally, having been back with serious faults (3 times) in quick succsession I would seriously consider getting your money back or a replacement car. For me, if I had those problems,fixed or not I would still have that nagging feeling of what next with that car.

I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction either way,good luck! ;)

• 5 weeks later...

This car must have had petrol put in it at some stage and not properly removed. It more than likely has been diluted with diesel top ups till symptoms went away, not a good way to solve this common problem. The swarf is likely from the pressure pump which will have been completely knackered by the petrol, it then clogs up everything else rendering the whole system useless. The dealer is to be congratulated as the customer who traded it in must have known about this.

Hi All,

Just a feeler to see if anyone out there has had this problem, I purchased a 2010 D4D from a well known main dealer a couple of months ago and on its first decent run lost power when under any sort of load, returned to dealer to have faulty fuel pump valves diagnosed, These were renewed under warrenty as expected, a couple of weeks later the engine lost all power and would not restart for 30 seconds and when it did would die very shortly afterwards. Yet another trip to the main dealer who told me that the engine management alarm was showing poor starting, and diagnosed more valves and the ECU. These having been replaced the fault had not cleared, Further investigation apparently found swarf in the common rail, this apparently happens when the car was mis fuelled. The dealer to be fair accepted responsibility and liability after first checking the fuel but did say that the damage was severe. They have made the decision to replace all the components from the fuel pump onwards. Has anyone had this done before and if they have has the car been ok

Hi Tony, how are you getting on with these problems, did you get it sorted at the dealers, is it all ok now & your happy with it?

The car is perfect or as near as possible, as you would expect for having a complete new fuel system. I Cannot fault the dealers at all, supurb service, even going as far as to phone on a regular basis to see how it is getting on

That's great! glad you got it sorted & very happy with your 'new' car. Nice to hear of good reports of dealers going that extra mile for it's customers.