Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Caliper Bracket Bolts

richteex

Evening.

Got a 2007 Avensis d4d.

Changed the front pads and discs today... nice and easy job apart from the Caliper bracket bolts. **** they were hard to get off!!

Was thinking about doing the rears as well but doubt Im going to get enough purchase to get those darned bolts off. Used a breaker bar on the front, theres no room to use on the rears.

Any suggestions on how to remove other than brute force would be gratefully received. Other than that... maybe a garage job at some point

Cheers

One of the bolts on the rear bracket isn't accessible with a socket so I linked two spanners together for the extra leverage.

If I remember correctly there is clearance to use an extension bar on a socket. Access using a breaker bar is from the rear of the vehicle so long as the car is lifted onto jack stands. Don't risk this on a scissor jack.

You will find that these bolts are much easier to undo as it's the front of the car which rusts faster. Use a length of scaffolding pipe over the breaker bar to improve leverage.

Axle stands seem like the way to go. They've been on my list to but for a long time!!! Just out of interest does anyone now off hand if the socket size needed is the same for the front calliper bolts which is 17mm. Cheers

two tips I can give is if rear disc is hard to get off turn the rubber round to 6 o clock position, get a flat end screwdriver push down on cog this will loosen the shoes inside disc brake. I will leave a few videos to show. second tip is clean & re grease the slider bolts

If you are struggling with the bolts you could ask your friendly local garage to loosen them for you and nip them back up. A air gun usually shocks them lose quite quickly and I'm sure they wouldn't charge much for that.