Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P2196 Check Engine Warning

salloo

Hi Everyone,

I got Toyota Auris 1.33VVTI 2010 and suddenly today in the morning it started showing up the Check Engine warning. I asked for help from my recovery service and they diagnosed it as P2196 (some oxygen sensor problem). They also mentioned that it is safe to drive but have this fixed at earliest.

Just need to know, is this need any part changing or just a reset. I could try reset as mentioned in couple of other thread like disconnecting the Battery or keep pressed the odometer button (in tria A mode) while turning on the car (but not ignition) etc.,

Thanks in advance

If the sensor's gone, only resetting the ECU won't cut it. Even if the warning light goes off for a while, eventually it will be back on when the O2 sensors sends funny info to the ECU. You would need to get the sensor replaced. Looks like this and is situated somewhere along the exhaust

oxygen-sensor.s600x600.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. I thought I'll get the email if someone will reply to question but didn't get any.

I just came to the forum and saw this answer. Yes, it did go away the same day but appeared again the after 2 days. So, you are right it needs replacement.

Can you please point me to where can I buy that any tutorial to do it myself if it is averagely easy to do otherwise I'll take my car to local mechanic?

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I thought I'll get the email if someone will reply to question but didn't get any.

I just came to the forum and saw this answer. Yes, it did go away the same day but appeared again the after 2 days. So, you are right it needs replacement.

Can you please point me to where can I buy that any tutorial to do it myself if it is averagely easy to do otherwise I'll take my car to local mechanic?

Thanks

You'd be well advised to take your car to a mechanic to have it fixed, these sensors are usually very tight, having been screwed into the exhaust for years and often require heating with a torch to get them out.

• 3 years later...

I have got same error code P2196 for my corolla 2010. It says O2 sensor, bank 1 sensor 1, upstream, somewhere they also say Air Fuel ratio sensor. 

Can someone help me locating this sensor? I tried several you tube videos but nothing specific to corolla 2010.

Thanks in advance.